Getting medication into a reluctant dog

Greylegs

Visit site
Our little guy - an elderly collie/staffie cross - has an absolutely horrendous sinus infection, possibly caused by an obstruction. At the moment we don't know, but vet is tying a combination of vaso-dilators, antibiotics and something to clear the snot out of his nose. He's also on anti inflammatories and a joint supplement for his arthritis. In short, he's being asked to consume a fairly large quantity of medication daily, mostly in pill form, but the snot remover is a powder.

He's now got wise to the fact that slices of ham and cubes of cheese contain medicine and is refusing it. He had the powder sprinkled on some freshly fried lamb's liver last night, but that didn't work this morning (a twice a day dosage) and I ended up resorting to ice cream!! Not ideal, but at least he had his medication. Other things are being given the hard way, straight onto the back of his throat, which is distressing for him and I hate doing it. We're cutting the joint supplement for now to reduce the burden a bit, but I'm still trying to get him to swallow a lot of pills, some of which are huge and have to be cut in half.

So, any words of wisdom or good ideas to get him to take his pills would be greatly appreciated. His condition is making him very choked in his throat and restricting his breathing so he's not too willing to eat anything much. and he's gone from being a healthy eater to being very picky. All helpful suggestions much appreciated. Thanks all.

JillA

Visit site
There is a putty formulated for cats to disguise medication called Easypill Cat, vets tend to stock it or you can get in on ebay or Amazon. I can't imagine it would be a problem for dogs, my house cat LOVED it, as did the ferals, didn't even touch the sides, with a wormer wrapped inside. Probably worth a try?