Getting my friend back on the horse....(sorry...long!)

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Ok last saturday me and my friend went out on a hack. Both the horses were quite keen and a bit spooky but thought nothing of it, just spooking at leaves (was quite blustery). So anyway, after about 1o mins a massive digger came rumbling past causing a bit of a hoo hah, shying, running backwrads, but was lagre and noisy and so was understandable. However the horse my friend was riding never really settled after that, getting more and more wound up.We decided to turn back as both horses were getting a bit too wild and the roads were getting busier. Ended up with my friends horses completely losing it, rearing up in the road, running backwards, not listening at all to bit/legs and ended up with her bolting (completely out of control) down the road and then up someones driveway. Friend then jumped off as the horse looked like she was about to topple. Friend was VERY shaken up, didnt get back on and lead horse back.
Basically she is now saying she doesnt want to ride this week. i dont want her to leave it too long as she will just keep putting it off. any ideas on how to convince her to ride this saturday, on one of the calmer horses, or should i leave her to her own time?
shes such a competent rider and handled it very well, i would have been thrown off for sure. any advice appreciated. Sorry its so long!

TGM

Visit site
Is it actually her horse? Has it had previous history of such behaviour? Is there a school available so she can ride the horse without hacking out? Has there been a change in the horse's management - ie stabled more, fed more, turned out/exercised less?

Difficult to advise without knowing all the details.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Sorry, no not hers, one of the cobs, usually very calm and had back teeth etc checked after this and nothing was found to be wrong.
Thanks about the ponies!

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Fully understand where you are coming from. It must have really shook her up though. I would assume the horse is normally quieter, if so sometimes once the adrenalin starts it can cause a higher flight response in certain situations, but this horse now has to go back out with another experienced rider to get his confidence back and hopefully he will not do it again.
However, I agree by leaving it too long will probably make it harder. personally, I would make a date and take her on a quite ride but on foot to help.
It may help beforehand to ancourage her to get on a quite horse in the school to reestablish her faith in her ability to control the horses pace. Or there may be this underlying thought that will enevitably wind the horse up because he can feel her worry.
Try to make a date when it is quiet and calm on the yard (sorry not sure what your situation is) then she can focus on things without any distractions.
Hope this helped
Dawn

TGM

Visit site
Well in that case no point in getting her back on board something that is not hers when there are other available for her to ride. If you have access to a school I would get her to ride one of the quietest horses in there, before going out for a very short hack if she feels up to it.

Jemayni

Visit site
Do you have a school or quiet field or something? She might feel safer in an enclosed area, and you could keep a hand on the horse just to reassure them both a bit. Then when you do go out, try and go early sunday morning when there is less traffic! Good Luck!

Clodagh

Visit site
I would be very worried about getting back on a horse that had seriously bolted with me on the road.
shocked.gif

vivhewe

Visit site
Poor you having to watch and I really feel for your friend - It must be the time of year for horses to take off
crazy.gif

Like TGM said, ride in a school and then a tiny hack if she feels up to it on a neddie that's preferably on wheels
smile.gif
I can't wait to get back in the saddle but when something really unnerves you the longer you leave it the worse it becomes. Chances are it was the lack of control that scared her and not what actually happened.

If she really doesn't want to ride then don't force her, maybe she doesn't feel like riding this week but next week will feel like she's ready to ride again if you see what I mean. If next week she makes excuses though I would use every possible method to get her riding again; brute force, bribery, putting the fear of god in her etc. Seriously though she maybe does genuinely feel like she needs a week off, but maybe she needs a kick up the bum too
grin.gif

Get her to muck out, feed neddies and groom them and just spend time with them without the pressure of having to ride and I'm sure she'll be riding of her own accord in no time
smile.gif

viv x