Getting referred by vets for lameness. Where to go?

mturnbull

Visit site
I just wanted some experiences/opinions from those who have had there horses referred from their vets to other places.
My boys case is being referred next week once the vet has seen him again and made an up to date report. Our vets usually work with the dick vet so I'm assuming this would be his recommendation. My physio also recommended those at the Clyde vet group so this is also an option. Due to our location Glasgow vet school is nearby and also I have heard loch level/ingils have joined and have a new yard they work from. We are looking at doing scyntigraphy (sp!) on this visit.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

sarahann1

Visit site
I haven't had one of my own referred, but a few friends have. They all swear by Clyde for lameness and others would swear by The Dick for colic, grass sickness etc style stuff.

Can't remember his name, but there is apparently a very good vet for lameness at Clyde.

EventingMum

Visit site
I have personally only had experience with Glasgow and have found them to be excellent on the numerous times I have been there with various horses over the years including those having scintigraphy. I have also heard very good reports about Clyde Vet Group from a lot of people and likewise know that many people rate the Dick.

mturnbull

Visit site
I realise all of these places have high reputations and each will do their best. This isn't going to be easy, even as a day trip, for my boy due to him being quite stressy (it won't be easy for me either!). He goes away and competes so travelling etc isn't the issue I am just worried for when we arrive and with different people handling him.

Visit site
We always use Clyde for the racehorses at every given oppertunity. Andrew and his team do a fantastic job. They have everything you need on site to diagnose, examine and treat all forms of lameness - personally I wouldn't go anywhere else for such things.

Loch Leven have teamed up with Inglis but the new practice hasn't actually been built yet and it won't be up and running until August time.

I hope everythin turns out ok with your beasty.

mturnbull

Visit site
Thanks EKW, Clyde do sound fantastic and certainly from their website look like they have everything would you need. Do they allow you to stay with the horse or do you just drop them off and pick them up?

Jnhuk

Visit site
Andrew has a good rep round here for lameness issues and Clyde are my equine vet for my big two lads.

Both centres will give good care and treatment tbh so what is more convenient for you assuming costs not relevant with insurance?

mturnbull

Visit site
To be honest either are less than an hour travel for us and with having the lorry transport isn't an issue either. I will see what the vet says on Tuesday and his recommendations but from speaking to people clyde sound very good.

sarahann1

Visit site
Was it Andrew Mcdermaid at Clyde? How did your friends find Clyde in regards to staff and owners staying with horses?

Yes, that's who I was thinking of!

I don't know that any of my friends stayed with their horses for any length of time once the examination started, I don't think they did, but all have come back with glowing reports of Andrew.

EventingMum

Visit site
If your horse is liable to be stressing Clyde maybe be best. Glasgow is a teaching hospital so you do get students around watching and often doing the initial look over and info gathering. On a recent visit with a colic case son's gf commented on how there were far more people about compared with at Clyde where her horse had been previously.

Quadro

Visit site
Clyde everytime. I will not let the Dick near the horses now considering I had a then 4 year who they said had a bowed tendon and to put down. Andrew at Clyde diagnosed an infection in it. The horse is now 9 will £500 BS on his card and no xc faults BE!

mturnbull

Visit site
Oh that's a bit of a scary thought! Is it Andrew himself that deals with all cases that come in or do they get an assessment then he looks at them if needed? Just curious!

Glayva

Visit site
Clyde for lameness every time, andrew mcdermid is wonderful and highly repected.

He was great with my horse and me when he went on for lameness investigations. I was balling my eyes out when my horse was trotted on the circle and Andrew was very reassuring about the prospects of him coming right.

He did consider an operation as he found an odd bone fragment, andrew wanted to cover all avenues and phone the farrier to come look at his feet before an operation was agreed. Their farrier was brilliant and saw his hoof balance was horrendous (3/4 inch off on the outsides) farrier trimmed him that day and he was almost sound. A few more visits and fitness plan and he was 100% sound and no operation.

My horse is registered at the dick vet, but if he ever had to get referred for lameness i would be asking for him to go to clyde.

mturnbull

Visit site
Thanks glayva, I think I'm going to be just like you when I trot him or leave him! I really feel now that Clyde would best suit us.

Marydoll

Visit site
Had eperience of them all.
Lochleven are my vets and diagnosed my horses collaterall ligament desmitis I wouldnt hesitate to have them do a lameness workup and any follow up within the limits of the clinic at present, although new clinic should be finished soon and im pretty sure theyll be able to do the lot and again id trust them fully with my guys. Hugh sommerville is superb, as are the others.
A friends horse stood on a nail and was leaking fluid from the foot, emergency trip into Clyde around midnight, vet was fantastic, cant remember his name, we stayed all through the diagnostics until he was bandaged and settled for the night .... Good outcome, we were sitting our stage 3 hkc, we told him we were studying the lower leg,he took out the lower limb model and spent ages going through it with is, and offerred to answer any further questions we might have, just to give him a call.
Have used The Dick vet not for lameness but colic, and cant rate them highly enough, prof Bruce Mc gorrum excellent

Carolynmac

New User
Visit site
I know you have probably decided now but just wanted to echo re Clyde.

My mare has been sound and had no issues for 10 years, then just started to be a bit 'off'. I was with Bush and wasn't impressed. Got a ref to Andrew at Clyde and he took time to understand what I had seen, what I was looking for in my horse, and what my financial position was. He did a thorough check and xrays etc (and I was with her all the way through) and then gave me the options etc. That was 3 years ago and I know now how to manage my mares condition and have an ongoing relationship with Clyde to keep her well. All the vets are great.

I have since moved all my horse fully to Clyde.

mturnbull

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I had the vet out yesterday and we have a lameness in his front right and back right and according the the vet an 'interesting case'. He is going to phone Andrew at Clyde and get his opinion and then a referral if Andrew thinks that it's the best option to do so.

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
Andrew McDiarmid. The stables are really peaceful and they don't have anyone hanging about. Our pony was in for impaction colic and they btook the utmost care of him. Andrew is well known for lameness but all of the vets are good.