getting scared

serena2005

Visit site
iv never been one to be scared of jumping, but ever since iv got this new horse i think twice about every and he knows it. when i say to myself 'oh just do it you silly cow' and then push him on he goes much better.

he has chucked me off a few times, once while jumping. its not even that we jump high, hes only doing about 70cms at max and he doesnt hesitate, its just me getting scared of him messing up and chucking me off...

jumped the other night and going into the jump i was thinking 'i dont like this' but once i had finished i was like 'oh that was ok'

any hints on how i can enjoy it again?

Gwenneh

www.insanedressagegirl.com
The same thing happened to me when I got my WB X TB mare. I'd been used to my itty bitty Arab with an itty bitty stride, and my new girl's scopey jump and huge paces seemed impossibly fast and huge and scary!

My only advice is to start small. Go back to the beginning, if need be! We went back to trotting crossrails until I felt a little better about it all; I never did quite get the hang of that huge canter she has before we parted ways. It's all about going back to where you are comfortable and building on that.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
I feel very much the same at the mo, 3 months since I broke my leg SJ, so have been doing gridwork, May enjoys it, and its really getting my confidence back. It really makes her think about where she puts her feet and stops me worrying about where she is going to take off, as when jumping smaller, she quite often takes a stride out - cos she can!!

We are now jumping 95cm at the end of a grid!! Then on Monday, put a second fence up, with a placing pole so it was on a figure of eight.

Only downside, you need someone on the ground to help!

serena2005

Visit site
yer i have come to rely on placing poles, with him just learning to jump he hasnt got a clue where to put his feet, doing grid is when he threw me off, when he finds something hard he tends to dump me!

we jumped a double the other night and he finished really well and it has given me some confidence in him