Getting the right canter lead

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
Oh dear. We're going through a canter block at the moment with my youngster. We're getting lovely transitions to canter, but only seem to be able to canter with a right lead.

Any tips on how to get him onto the correct lead? There's only so much counter canter I can do!
blush.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
Lots of lunging and my baby will currently only pick up right lead if we go over a jump to get it- little beast loves her jumping and has worked out exactly how to make sure she's allowed to *rolls eyes*
I'm weaning her off a jump and onto a pole though, shall tell you if it works...

Lynz25

Visit site
With my youngster my riding instructor told me that if i was say going clockwise around the school in rising trot to actually rise as if you were going around in the other direction - for some reason seems to put them on the correct lead. He then says to apply the canter aids as normal on a clockwise direction so that horse speeds up his trot and then falls into a canter. This gets them understanding what you are asking for. Once they are going on the correct leg each time then start improving the standard of the change of pace. He says that it breaks down the questions you are asking of the horse ie onto the correct leg is the main question rather than the correct leg, into canter as i tell you (which is whats been asked of a horse once it is more experienced). This has really worked with my youngster. Hope it makes sense????