Getting the wrong stride...

GreenEyedMonster

Visit site
I've got a new horse who is a bit of a project though she is extremely bright, willing and really the perfect project in terms of her temperament!

However we have now started jumping and I'm messing up nearly every stride we go off.
I know it's all my fault but I am too scared to half halt her in case she back off it and K don't want to use too much leg because if we get it wrong she might start to refuse if she anticipates the fence coming down.

What can you suggest? She's coming along beautifully on the flat and is ever so keen to learn but when she knocks it down she gets upset, it's almost like she's a perfectionist and is trying desperately to please me!

I know I'm the real problem because my other horse is a schoolmaster and would always get me out of trouble if I messed up and he was quite patient and forwards.

Suggestions?
(Please Note, the jumps are no bigger than 60cm tops)

EQUIDAE

Visit site
How does she jump when loose - if you judge from this what her natural stride is you should be able to anticipate her take off a bit more. Once she is confident in her own striding you can start fiddling and getting her to take off from a more appropriate place.

GermanyJo

Visit site
How is your canter? Can she happily canter through poles set at canter distance? If the canter is not great I would start with one pole and then build up until you can go through a line of canter poles in rhythm, then start some grid work....It will help you too

GreenEyedMonster

Visit site
She can get under them a little but I think that's because she can be a little lazy!
Believe it or not she a thoroughbred!

I've been trying to get her forwards on the flat by riding from my leg and asking her to seek the contact as apposed to taking it myself but it's working progress...

GreenEyedMonster

Visit site
Her canter could be better, she's just not that strong in her core yet as the person who used to ride her used side reins to lunge etc. so she had a false frame and now I've started again with her trying to work correctly, she hasn't built up her core etc. yet.

vam

Visit site
How is your canter? Can she happily canter through poles set at canter distance? If the canter is not great I would start with one pole and then build up until you can go through a line of canter poles in rhythm, then start some grid work....It will help you too

This. I would imagine it will be that your canter is lacking. If she is weak then she is going to struggle so I would leave the jumping and keep to the flat, lots of hill work as well as transitions to build her strength up.
Have you got a good instructor? If so ask them to help you work on strengthening the canter, pole work both in trot and canter will help build it as well as help her find a good rhythm and help you feel it.

atropa

Visit site
Honestly if the jumps are small enough I would just establish the best canter that you can, get her straight towards the jump and then look beyond it and let it come to you. Keep your leg on in a reassuring way, let her sort out what stride she takes and do not fold at all until you feel her start to come up under you. Make sure there's a good ground line for her to judge.