Getting to Badminton by some roads may be extra tricky this year

MarkStudden

New User
Visit site
As we are lucky enough to live within a mile or so of Badminton, we
don't pay much attention to the challenge of getting in each year - it's
just along the road. However, this year our local knowledge may help to
save visitors who have come from further afield from having a
frustrating time getting to the venue on the Saturday.

About 5 miles away from Badminton, at Castle Combe, the race track holds
one event each year that attracts many thousands of visitors in their
own cars; it's called "Japfest", and each year it blocks several of the
local roads up with apparently endless queues of petrolhead exotica for
much of the morning and middle of the day. The procession of souped-up
Japanese sports cars winds through long sections of the B4039 that comes
in from the A420 near Chippenham, and of the B4040 and Tormarton roads
that come in from the A46 near Junction 18 of the M4.

As readers who have been to the area before may recognise, both of these
minor roads would normally be approach roads for the Horse Trials too.

So we were recently surprised to see, on local traffic signs, the news
that "Japfest" this year is happening on Saturday 10th May;
cross-country day at Badminton. These events usually do not clash, and I
cannot imagine why they are both scheduled for the same day this year;
it seems like madness, and would suggest that the road chaos could be
worse than ever for anyone trying to get to either event along those
routes.

You have been warned; plan carefully, study that road map before you set
off, and take it with you! GPS will be of little benefit if my fears
prove justified.

SadKen

Visit site
Good to know - this info is on the Badminton Website and they have put it in with the tickets too (mine arrived with an enclosure on Friday) - it says not to go with a sat nav as they are trying to ensure we don't all clash with each other. However, I think it needs as much publicity as possible! Good call OP!

mastermax

Visit site
Ditto the above. Two years ago I happened to be staying pretty much next door to Castle Coombe on the day of the Japfest and it was complete and total mayhem from about 6 am all day. If this is clashing with Badminton, which it is then agree some very careful planning is required. I sat in the queue for three hours on the back roads and the petrolheads were all out of their cars washing them!!!

lhotse

Visit site
Also worth adding that the road between the Avon Ring Road and Tormarton (B4465) that passes through Codrington is due to be shut at the M4 bridge from the 9th May for a week, so traffic is being diverted via the A420 through Bridgeyate to the Cold Ashton roundabout. This will include all traffic and lorries from the trading estates at Emersons Green. Progress along the A46 from the Bath direction, at least until M4 J18 will be horrendous I would expect.

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
Lhotse thanks for that. As someone coming from Kingswood or Bitton that certainly affects us. Brain in gear for the sneaky back roads. The A420 is currently overloaded due to Kelston being closed - chaos.

Last edited:

Worldiscomplete

Visit site
Also OP; I know that there has been some road closures for the last 5 months for bridge building due to the electrification around Badminton; Luckington etc. Do you know if they are now open? If not, that will most definitely add to the pain. I only live 30 mins away and might just go to the dressage/walk the course and of course shop! And then watch the cross country with a cuppa in from the tv. But then again….. who can resist the lure? ;-)

MarkStudden

New User
Visit site
The bridge on the Luckington Road (B4040) between Acton Turville and Luckington is now open again. Presumably, the bats that Network Rail failed to find in advance (through having the professional acumen and sufficient foresight to decide NOT to survey the bridge before they arrived to upgrade it) have now been safely relocated. Nearly 5 months slippage in this work. Makes you proud.

Worldiscomplete

Visit site
It's genius isn't it?! We've got Network near me doing a bridge upgrade in Dauntsey and the diverted route takes you 26 miles out of the way! They're going to take 5 months too. They haven't found any bats yet though - perhaps they'll find crested newts instead!!

Glad things are back to normal for folk living there now.

_GG_

Visit site
Wow....Japfest traffic last year was backed up through Melksham onto the A350 out to Trowbridge!!!!!

How the hell can they think it's either safe or intelligent to hold both on the same weekend?

The mind genuinely boggles! I'll be coming from the M5 through Wooton-Under_Edge and Wickwar...being an ex local myself, I'll park outside my old house in Old Sodbury and walk it...it's only 4 miles and it'll no doubt be quicker!

AmieeT

Visit site
Good grief- traffic will be horrendous on the saturday! We leave at 6am and we only live just outside Bristol!

Set up a gas stove for bacon sarnies and wair until opening time- all the while watching the queues form in the distance!

I may suggest leaving even earlier and kipping in the car for half an hour when we get there :S

Ax

L&M

Visit site
Hi and thanks for the info.

We will be travelling down from Shropshire for Sat 10th - we will be coming via the M4 leaving at j18 (Tormarton roundabout) onto the A46.

Is this where the problem is anticipated, and if so can anyone offer an alternative (after a 3 hr journey really don't want to be adding another 3 hrs in a jam!!?)

L&M

Visit site
Have just checked Japfest website and gates do not open there until 9 30am, so hopefully an early arrival to Badminton may avoid the worst of the jams?

_GG_

Visit site
Have just checked Japfest website and gates do not open there until 9 30am, so hopefully an early arrival to Badminton may avoid the worst of the jams?

Unlikely. If gates open there at 9:30, you will have people arriving at anything from 4-5am to be at the front of the cue. I cannot stress enough, as a local who has lived both sides of Castle Coombe, just what a massive event it is. Unfortunately, something else to consider with Japfest traffic is how many cars overheat and break down in the queues. Young drivers who have gone out and bought their dream car, badly fitted aftermarket exhausts and filters and turbo's and then forget to check the engine temp when sat in traffic. We were on the bike two years ago and managed to filter past the line going all the way from Lackham college roundabout near Melksham to the A420 roundabout in Chippenham and we went past 7, yes, 7 cars in the space of about 4 miles that were broken down and causing problems.

There will be no good way to get to Badminton as whatever you think of, you can bet your life the seasoned Japfest lot have thought of too. Just leave early and have food and water in the car and some wet wipes for when nature calls as you're likely to be sat in the car for quite some time.

I still can't believe they have done this...honestly beggars belief!

L&M

Visit site
What a shame - I hope this doesn't spoil things. I have not been to Badminton for years and was so looking forward to it......

_GG_

Visit site
What a shame - I hope this doesn't spoil things. I have not been to Badminton for years and was so looking forward to it......

Just leave early....nothing starts too early so you shouldn't miss too much, but just be prepared I guess.

Don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs, but if your car is overheating in a queue and you can't turn the engine off because traffic is moving slowly...the quickest way to cool the engine is to put the fan on full pelt with the heating right up. You'll need your all your windows open, but basically, the fan pulls hot air off the engine and into the body of the car, so it will help reduce engine heat and prevent a breakdown. Make sure your water and oils are topped up before you leave home and just be ready for a long queue. xx

tootsietoo

Visit site
That's good to know, a creche for DH, it will be right up his street! If we get cracking from north Glos at around 6am we might just be in Castle Combe and Badders before the traffic is at its worst! Really useful, thanks.

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
All good info. And another tip. Go easy on the tea and coffee before you set out, sitting in the queue for up to 3 hours isn't a good place when you are desperate for a pee. I speak from bitter experience!!

bex1984

Visit site
We are staying close to Stroud - from the map it looks like all this action is the other side of Badminton - can anyone with some local knowledge confirm this? We're planning to get to Badminton early (we always do) but as we'll have a toddler in the car I really don't fancy massive queues....

Elvis

Visit site
We are coming from the south, and having a quick look on a map Badminton is slightly more west than Japfest. Would it be worth sneaky up past Bristol and then cutting through? Or will it literally make no difference? It's just under a 2 hour journey for us normally, what time would you suggest we leave? We'd quite like to make it in for 11am to see the Shetland grand national ideally.

_GG_

Visit site
We are staying close to Stroud - from the map it looks like all this action is the other side of Badminton - can anyone with some local knowledge confirm this? We're planning to get to Badminton early (we always do) but as we'll have a toddler in the car I really don't fancy massive queues....

Should be slightly easier from that direction. You miss the main roads of the Japfest queues so it's just a case of what time you leave....make it early and you should have less of a problem. Japfest is an international event though, people come from all over the place with their cars and it is usually not noticed too much outside of a 20mile radius, but I don't ever remember it coinciding with Badders before....bad bad move!

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
OMG, genius person to mention all this, thank you! We will be coming up from Pastyland on the Saturday morning early. Do you think it will have an effect on those coming up from the South? Our usual plan is to travel up on day before XC and stay at Holiday Inn Filton, but this year our plans are slightly over-ruled by husband playing in a golf tournament that dosen't finish until late on Friday evening .... hmm, not impressed. Hubbie will have to be very nice to me when we hit the shopping village ! :D

_GG_

Visit site
We are coming from the south, and having a quick look on a map Badminton is slightly more west than Japfest. Would it be worth sneaky up past Bristol and then cutting through? Or will it literally make no difference? It's just under a 2 hour journey for us normally, what time would you suggest we leave? We'd quite like to make it in for 11am to see the Shetland grand national ideally.

Japfest traffic has been known to trail back to the M$ on both junctions 17 & 18 of the M4. if you're coming from the south, you'd have to pass both of those to get to Bristol and go in that way. If coming from the south west, my advice would be to come A303 and A350 to Melksham, then A4 to Bath and A46 to J17 of the M4...that takes you over the motorway and not onto it. It is then a 4 mile drive to Badminton.

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Japfest traffic has been known to trail back to the M$ on both junctions 17 & 18 of the M4. if you're coming from the south, you'd have to pass both of those to get to Bristol and go in that way. If coming from the south west, my advice would be to come A303 and A350 to Melksham, then A4 to Bath and A46 to J17 of the M4...that takes you over the motorway and not onto it. It is then a 4 mile drive to Badminton.
Thanks for that valuable bit of info.

vickyb

Visit site
Hi and thanks for the info.

We will be travelling down from Shropshire for Sat 10th - we will be coming via the M4 leaving at j18 (Tormarton roundabout) onto the A46.

Is this where the problem is anticipated, and if so can anyone offer an alternative (after a 3 hr journey really don't want to be adding another 3 hrs in a jam!!?)

If you are coming from Shropshire presumably you will be coming down the M5. You can leave the M5 at junction 13 (instead of going down to the Almondsbury interchange and joining the M4) and cut across country- there are many routes, have a nosey of a map. I live near junction 13 and it takes me about 30 mins to get to Badminton by going up over Frocester hill and joining the A46 near Calcot crossroads. Hope this helps. Also, the approach to Almondsbury can be very backed upon a saturday.

L&M

Visit site
Thanks vickyb - my map reading skills are hopeless but have a more 'intelligent' friend driving, so will pass this onto her. Thinking about it she did mention the M5 to me, it was aa routefinder that was talking about the M4......