getting to canter

samp

Visit site
My horse although is temperamental to ride - spooky, can not put much pressure on etc. I have given her a 2 week break from going in the school as she is quite resistant. Last night asked her to canter and she was having none of it, if I did manage to get her to canter it would only be a few strides and I could not sustain it. Any ideas? She is 9 so old enough to know better, regularly has her back checked etc. How can I make her more forward in the school, cantering out hacking is fine

kick_On

Visit site
Do you have lessons, if not i would suggest that may be you find a good local instructor and seek there advice and then they can see whole package together and suggest a strategic for your goals

Judie

Visit site
Hi Samp

When you say she won't canter, how does she avoid it? Does she simply not listen to your leg and go forward into canter, therefore being lazy, does she run away from your leg and just get faster in the trot, or does she get stuck and run backwards?

samp

Visit site
I have lessons at my insructors school and normally she is more forward. She just refuses to go forward, the canter feels more backwards then forwards she has no forward momentum

Judie

Visit site
Sounds to me like she has no respect for your leg.

Look at Maz1's post on 2nd Oct, she has the same problem and there are a few goods tips in the thread.

If you're still not sure we'll come up with some more.

samp

Visit site
I am sorry how do I get to that post. I agree she probably is not respecting my leg and being 8 stone 5'4 and her an incredibly long 16hh warmblood I think I can find her very hard to hold together

Judie

Visit site

Samp, when looking at the titles of posts in new lounge at the bottom of the screen in the right hand column there are page numbers, I think the post on on page 6 this will jumps you back a few days.

I'm sure there is probable a way for me to link you to it but I've no idea how to do that.

I know where you're coming from, my boy is quite long and I'm smaller than you! (albeit a little heavier!)

mirandaharry

Visit site
Hi Samp

I had some really fab advice from Sal-E - might be worth PMing her, or else scroll back through the posts until you get to the one I put up, think it was titled something like "how to get horse moving off leg/nagging legs"!

Sounds very similar to, like you I'm not a huge rider and my horse is 16hh and loooong!!! I find I'm doing all the hard work and my boy just trundles along in the school but is fine out hacking.

Sal-E managed to put all the info nice and simply so even a muppet like me could make sense of it, and someone else (darn, can't remember who it was now) also came up with some really good ideas about only using your legs at certain points (that sounds really vague, but it DOES all make sense when you read the post!).

Best of luck, x