Getting tongue over bit

Rhijackson

New User
Visit site
My mare has a habit of playing with her bit and getting her tongue over it, this only happens in the last 10 minutes or so of a hack when she knows we are getting close to home, she shows no signs of pain or discomfort and goes very well for the other 90% of the ride, we have tried 3 different bits but had no change, we have tried a flash which just results in her chucking her head and becoming very worked up, any recommendations would be much apprenticed for this problem.

Annagain

Visit site
My boy used to do this. I must have tried about 30 bits before we found one he liked - a mullen mouth hanging cheek. With one that fussy, even though a bit fit consultant might be able to point you in the right direction, it's just a case of trial and error. A Micklem bridle also made a big difference to my boy - I thought they were just a gimmick until a friend lent me hers to try. I couldn't believe the difference it made to him.

canteron

Visit site
My old horse used to do this. I ended up with a rubber Mullen - I was too worried what he would do, if I had anything more severe, and by accident caught him in the mouth when he had his tongue over the bit so went for the gentlest option ...... after a rather gruelling fruitless search with “experts” trying to find something he couldn’t get his tongue over!!

buddylove

Visit site
One of my daughter's ponies is a nightmare for messing with his bit on the way home from a hack or standing around at lessons/clinics. Once he has got his tongue over once he loses all concentration and manners!
The only thing that makes a difference is a grackle noseband, although he is also ridden in a bombers happy tongue bit as well. But i think it is more a habit than a discomfort.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I had a horse putting his tongue over the bit and was surprised when the trainer told me to lower the bit in the mouth. It worked.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I would also try a hanging cheek - mullen possibly. I don't know why, but something which sits steadier in the mouth seems to help.
This is usually a green horse resistance problem... once they have 'got it' they'll often accept the original bit without an issue.

J_sarahd

Visit site
My pony did this when I bought him. I tried a bomber happy tongue bit, but he kept leaning on it. So he's now in a bomber ported barrel and a micklem. I would also play with the positioning of the bit and see if it needs to go higher or lower

Beachbabe

Visit site
I would also try a hanging cheek - mullen possibly. I don't know why, but something which sits steadier in the mouth seems to help.
This is usually a green horse resistance problem... once they have 'got it' they'll often accept the original bit without an issue.
Why should they have to “accept having any bit”? How would you like to have someone hanging onto your mouth, which is incredibly sensitive, just because they can’t ride without one? ??? take the damn thing out and get yourself a bitless bridle.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Why should they have to “accept having any bit”? How would you like to have someone hanging onto your mouth, which is incredibly sensitive, just because they can’t ride without one? ??? take the damn thing out and get yourself a bitless bridle.

BB. Your post is too rude to deserve a reply, but I shall post one for the benefit of those who read these threads to learn.

A horse 'accepting' a bit is not a matter of force. Neither is it a painful or difficult process. The process of training is that of encouraging the horse to listen to and work with the rider. As the horse learns to feel the rider's hands via the bit it seeks a contact, softens, and responds. This is called 'accepting' the bit. Communication via a bit in the horse's mouth is vastly more subtle and clear than anything which can be achieved without.
With very few exceptions, a horse which 'does not accept the bit' simply has not yet understood what is being asked. Probably the best rider in the world could teach any horse with any bit, but for the rest of us sometimes a different bit helps.

The purpose of a bit is communication, not control. I can ride any of my ponies in just a headcollar... I don't, because it's like playing the piano wearing mittens.