Getting too close - Rabies

Aru

Visit site
That makes for scary reading :(
In reality thanks to the laxity in enforcing and checking up on transport of dogs it is only a matter of time before this disease hits the UK and Ireland...

Really must get around to getting vaccinated for rabies!its been on the todo list a few years now.

milo'n'molly

Visit site
My dog is vaccinated for our camping trips to France
Not likely we'll be going back now but think I'll keep up with the jabs just in case

suzysparkle

Visit site
The UK is still strict. As for the blood test, all ours have passports issued and they were done when a blood test was still required. Not one failed. They wouldn't have relaxed the rule if the vaccine wasn't effective. On this occasion it was due to falsified records, not vaccine failure. There will always be scumbags like this. It's appalling.

Suelin

Visit site
What a worry and if it gets into the wildlife you have big big problems.

We had a bat get into our bedroom. Couldn't get the darned thing out so had to catch it. (highly entertaining) On speaking with the "Bat folk" (can't recall what they call themselves) we were told to use gloves as bats in the UK are known to carry rabies! So it is here already apparently although bats don't tend to attack things much it's true. I suppose the animal most at risk is the family moggie who may catch one and get bitten for it's trouble, and away you go from there I guess.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Unfortunately the Uk is no longer as strict as it was, hence the puppies brought in from overseas with incorrect papers, and also some of the "rescues" that come over which seem to have vague paperwork to say the least. I remember when there was a rabies scare back in the 60s in Camberley. Restriction orders for dogs and mass shooting of foxes and other wildlfie, god forbid it ever reaches here again.:(

twiglet84

Visit site
The UK is still strict. As for the blood test, all ours have passports issued and they were done when a blood test was still required. Not one failed. They wouldn't have relaxed the rule if the vaccine wasn't effective. On this occasion it was due to falsified records, not vaccine failure. There will always be scumbags like this. It's appalling.

Don't know why they relaxed the rules as we have had dogs fail a titre test post rabies vaccination so not titre testing is a massive risk! How can they be sure every dog vaccinated will have enough immunity to protect against rabies unless they check?

suzysparkle

Visit site
You could argue that about every vaccine. I wonder what the stats are? All I was saying is there are still strict rules. If people falsify papers that's another thing. One would assume they wouldn't relax the rules unless they were happy. Didn't someone catch rabies a couple of years ago in the uk after being bitten by a bat?

suzysparkle

Visit site
twiglet84 - out of interest how old were your dogs that failed? I know that with some of the vaccines the manufacturer states dogs under 1 year need 2 vaccinations. We had to tell our vet this, they didn't know (worrying!!) and checked it out with the manufacturer who confirmed this was correct. They had never issued passports to any dog under 1 year old before. The titre tests were fine. Our vets said they had never had one fail.
It is worrying to hear things about rescues coming in with vague paperwork. My experience has always been that it's checked with a fine toothcomb!
Quoted from DEFRA:
A Quantitative Risk Assessment, undertaken for Defra by the Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency, concluded that the risk of a rabies case in the UK remains very low now that the UK has harmonised with the EU pet movement rules from 1 January 2012. Risk analysis experts from DNV have produced a report interpreting this risk assessment.

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/farmanimal/diseases/atoz/rabies/documents/se0535-rabies-qra.pdf

Interesting to read but very long!!

Aru

Visit site
You could argue that about every vaccine. I wonder what the stats are? All I was saying is there are still strict rules. If people falsify papers that's another thing. One would assume they wouldn't relax the rules unless they were happy. Didn't someone catch rabies a couple of years ago in the uk after being bitten by a bat?

Most vaccines are not trying to control a disease that is 100 percent fatal to humans if they are not vaccinated/receive post exposure treatment.....

The fear with rabies is that it will enter and gain a foothold in the local wildlife population before we even realise it is in the country.

Bats carry a type of lyssavirus that is similar to rabies but it is not the same disease.Thankfully the bat and human populations rarely overlap so exposure opportunities are low.Only one person in the UK has contracted it from exposure to bats that I am aware of.He was working in bat conservation and is now dead thanks to it.

Also there WAS objections to the relaxation of rules from vets in the UK and Ireland.However EU low trumps local objections.The EU mandate wanted to make it easier to move animals across the continental state lines and potentially opening the UK and Ireland to the increased risk of new disease's was a consequence.
Also rabies is not unknown in Europe though thankfully it is controlled in most states...this the 2012 years chart on reported cases
http://www.who-rabies-bulletin.org/Queries/Surveillance.aspx

Jools2345

Visit site
Most vaccines are not trying to control a disease that is 100 percent fatal to humans if they are not vaccinated/receive post exposure treatment.....

The fear with rabies is that it will enter and gain a foothold in the local wildlife population before we even realise it is in the country.

Bats carry a type of lyssavirus that is similar to rabies but it is not the same disease.Thankfully the bat and human populations rarely overlap so exposure opportunities are low.Only one person in the UK has contracted it from exposure to bats that I am aware of.He was working in bat conservation and is now dead thanks to it.

Also there WAS objections to the relaxation of rules from vets in the UK and Ireland.However EU low trumps local objections.The EU mandate wanted to make it easier to move animals across the continental state lines and potentially opening the UK and Ireland to the increased risk of new disease's was a consequence.
Also rabies is not unknown in Europe though thankfully it is controlled in most states...this the 2012 years chart on reported cases

I agree many vets are not happy with relaxation and many (including where i work) suggest 2 vaccinations are given despite the EU saying only one is needed, the reason for suggesting two doses are given is due to the high number of pets NOT showing enough immunity after having the titre test after one vaccine in the past

RutlandH2O

Visit site
Only one person in the UK has contracted it from exposure to bats that I am aware of.He was working in bat conservation and is now dead thanks to it.

Actually, when my dogs were in quarantine during the Spring of 1995, there was a news broadcast about 2 women (one pregnant) walking in Surrey or East/West Sussex, I believe, who came upon a bat on the ground. One of the women picked it up and was bitten. She was taken to hospital and the bat was confirmed to have rabies. The woman received injections and was released. The news reported that the bat had "false rabies." Interesting, because the woman still had to undergo anti-rabies injections.

In August, 2011, Joanna Perrins was bitten by a rabid bat at Loch Lomond. She was treated successfully.

In 2002, David Macrae, a conservation worker from Angus, died after he was bitten by a rabid bat.

In September, 2002, a woman in north Lancashire, was bitten by a rabid bat, and treated.

If I'm not mistaken, all the bats involved were Daubenton's bats.

Research has shown that cats can be the occasional predator of bats...draw your own conclusions.

suzysparkle

Visit site
I'm just bitter about the whole thing, they changed the rules only a few months after we spent a fortune getting several issued (plus titre tests). Grrrr. But that's another thing.
Don't worry I'm not saying I agree with it, simply pointing out that there are strict rules and from what I've seen they are adhered to. I know titre tests are still a requirement when importing from certain high risk countries. Do vaccines really fail that often? That's not good at all. I thought the fail rate was very low, and generally there were reasons when it happened. As for falsifying paperwork, well that will always be a concern but at least with it being easier now people (hopefully) will be less inclined to do so.

s4sugar

Visit site
I'm just bitter about the whole thing, they changed the rules only a few months after we spent a fortune getting several issued (plus titre tests). Grrrr. But that's another thing.
Don't worry I'm not saying I agree with it, simply pointing out that there are strict rules and from what I've seen they are adhered to. I know titre tests are still a requirement when importing from certain high risk countries. Do vaccines really fail that often? That's not good at all. I thought the fail rate was very low, and generally there were reasons when it happened. As for falsifying paperwork, well that will always be a concern but at least with it being easier now people (hopefully) will be less inclined to do so.
Unfortunately the decreased timescale has made it more rewarding for scammers to fake documents. Joe public don't want to buy 9 month old puppies but now they can legally be shipped at 15 weeks the overseas puppy farms are cashing in.