Getting weight back on an ex-racer, am I missing anything?

Elsiecat

Visit site
Got him October time. Racing fit with no fat. Weight/muscle dropped faster than we could keep it on. So we're building his fat back on still. He's a million times better than he was. By December he was very skinny.

He is - suitable rugged, ad lib haylage. And gets 3 times a day a rugby ball sized feed of -
One scoop speedibeet
3 scoop rolled barley (find this has the best weight adding effect)
2 scoop conditioning cubes
Oil.

Anything I'm missing? I'm rubbish with nutrition and usually feed just so I can pop oil in for shiny coats.
It seems to be working but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything crucial!
His ribs are still just a bit too visible for my liking. My main concern is his back end but a lot of that needs muscle more than anything (hasn't been ridden much due to weather and condition of field and also as I don't want to exercise a horse I'm trying to get weight on. Only goes for about an hour hack once a week as he's young and I don't want him to get out of the swing of things!)
If I'm feeding suitable then I will just have to wait for dr green to work his magic.
Any suggestions for good weight adding feed appreciated :) fields starting to dry and I want him to be a bit fatter so we can start playing daily!!

leflynn

Visit site
Add linseed as this will pile on weight and condition, could also try a pre-pro biotic so he can digest what he eats better?

I feed mine twice a day if I want to put weight on:
1 x scoop alpha a oil
1/3 scoop (large handful) D&H hifibre cubes
1/3 scoop speedibeet
4 50g scoops micronized linseed
yea sacc
selenevite e
As much haylage as he's like to eat

Not saying it works for all, but often the cubes/mixes don't work as they need fibre fibre fibre to pile on the pounds. Can't feed mine barley as he's got too much of a sensitive tummy and it sends him scatty

exracer superstar

Visit site
I feed my ex rcaer who lost loads of condition: fibre beet, sugar beet, chaff( Alfa a oil is good) , barley, micronised linseed and oats because I like abit of spark and it helps with the weight. She's looking brilliant now oh and ad lib haylage

wench

Visit site
I find that cheapo pony cubes often do the trick - hi fibre cubes don't have enough calories in to put weight on a potentially poor dooer