Getting weight off a fatty

kez81

Visit site
My boys are out in a 6 acre winter paddock with 5 of my sheep and 25 of farmers own. There is not much grass but they do have free access to the hayledge from four feeders which they share with the sheep. Old boy and pony have dropped weight nicely this winter but my youngster is too fat. He does 1.5 hrs good ridden or in hand work 3 days a week with some longer hacks at weekend. He gets one scoop of soaked fast fibre after a ride ( not fed if he isnt worked) and has access to a rock salt lick but isn't fed anything else. He is also unrugged and out 24/7 but just not dropping weight as quickly as I would like. I think the hayledge and mild weather is partly to blame so was just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for getting the weight off him before spring? By comparison, pony is on one scoop of fast fibre and one scoop of low cal mix with handful of chaff, oldie is on two scoops senior conditioning mix, one scoop grass nuts, handful of chaff and oil daily regardless of whether ridden or not to keep them at the right weight. Grrr having a good doer is frustrating!

catwithclaws

Visit site
Can't really help but just wanted to say you're not alone! I haven't had time to keep my boy in work over the winter and hadn't realised how fat he is - he truly is looking rather portly!! I can't feed him any less than he's on, haven't the time to work him right now so can't really win - he literally lives on the air he breathes!

touchstone

Visit site
I think without stopping his free access to haylage you'll be struggling. I'd consider separating him off with limited hay or weighed haylage and see if that makes a difference.