Getting worse in the stable

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
My horse has always been fine to stable (no problems in over two years) but over the last 2-3 months he has got progressively more stressed in the stable- box walking, Bunny hopping, jumpy etc. He’s also difficult to turn out (seemingly very excited). I give him as much turnout as poss but I don’t know why this is happening. Part of me thinks he’s just fit well and keen to get out, other half of me thinks something is going on and he is really stressed being stabled. Has anyone ever had this?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mmmmm....... there are a LOT of things that could be causing this.

This is obviously something that has started relatively recently so there has to be something, somewhere, that lies at the root of this.

Have you changed his routine within the last few months? New field companion, or indeed a loss of his stable-mate or field-mate? New horse next door? Mare in season nearby? Moved stables?

What about diet? More or less turnout than usual (with the obvious factor being Spring grass!). Hay or haylage? Any change?

What about work? Less or more? If so, what?

Veterinary/possible pain?: any saddle checks done lately? Any physio? Teeth? Have you had the vet out within the last few months? Coz it might just be worth having him checked out; something somewhere at the back of my mind is saying "check for ulcers"????

(Edited: just seen what above poster has said re. rats! We've got a lot of 'em this year; also perhaps something happening you can't see like a hornet's/wasps nest up in the stable loft, or badgers at night who can make a helluva racket, or a weasel even).

Sorry, lots of questions; but I think you have to start with making a list and working through it.

Failing that, I would suggest a professional who is used to thinking outside of the box, to come and have a look-see.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Checked for rats? They can send some equines scatty.

This. One of mine turned into a complete nightmare for no reason at all and it turned out there was a nest of rats in the stone wall at the back of the box. Another livery looked over the door to see them running around his feet and him desperately trying to get away from them. Rat bait in the holes and stone blocking the entrances got rid of them but he never really settled so I moved boxes in the end.

VRIN

Visit site
Mine became a nightmare in the stable just recently - I feared going out in the morning as I expected i would see a head sticking out of a pile of wood. I could find no reason for the dramatic change in behaviour (though never thought of rats). In desperation I bought a quit kick - day one I heard one kick and since them no kicking, no stable damage and his behaviour has reverted back to his normal calm self.

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
Thanks for your really helpful replies! Re rats etc I have checked stable and no where they could be coming in etc so think I can rule that out. No change in routine and i’ve Had saddle checked and vet out. Diet the same and no change in stable or field mates. Still being worked 5 days a week and he’s No different if he has/ hasn’t had exercise. When he’s out on the field he’s chilled and easy to handle. Comes in and after an hour he’s like a racehorse! I also have ulcers at back of my mind but no real symptoms so I feel a bit silly. Perhaps he just isn’t suited to this yard anymore. Hate the thought of him so stressed!

BOWS28

Visit site
I had this a couple of months ago. Was really doing my head in and hated the thought of my old girl being stressed. Went through the whole check list and just couldn't put my finger on it. I bought a camera that i can watch on my phone and it turns out it was deer were coming into the barn at night because it was cold lol. Once it got warmer they just buggered off and harmony has been restored :)

AUB

Visit site
Bed bugs? I've once seen a horse that was normally very calm in the stable start to behave very differently due to bed bugs.

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
I had this a couple of months ago. Was really doing my head in and hated the thought of my old girl being stressed. Went through the whole check list and just couldn't put my finger on it. I bought a camera that i can watch on my phone and it turns out it was deer were coming into the barn at night because it was cold lol. Once it got warmer they just buggered off and harmony has been restored :)

I was talking with a friend about a camera today! He's in during the day so i don't think it's a deer coming it but it's something that is happening in the afternoon...

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
Bed bugs? I've once seen a horse that was normally very calm in the stable start to behave very differently due to bed bugs.

This is weird...I have no idea what bed bugs are like but after i'd mucked out with my hands yday i went home very itchy. I had assumed that i had got irritated by something when sorting the muck heap but could it be this??!!

SEL

Visit site
Rats are causing me a problem just trying to stable my mare for 10 mins to have her breakfast. Turns out they want to join in and the scrabbling is scaring her. They live between the walls.

Plus it appears we have a badger who likes to mooch around.

Just to finish her off the horse in the same block moved to another yard a few weeks ago and she doesn't know where he's gone. Probably thinks the rats have taken him which is why she's refusing to go into her stable and would rather run me over....

Any big changes to your set-up?

Merrymoles

Visit site
Swifts or swallows nesting? They can seriously worry some horses, especially if they are in and out constantly feeding chicks.

I can't think of anything else not already suggested but I feel your pain!

llohcins

www.thehorsediva.co.uk
Thanks for your replies!

So i’ve Worked out he is fine until lunchtime..something happens after that. I don’t know can if he’s just finding the yard too busy.

He’s out all night from 4.30pm ish and in around 8.

No major changes or swifts or anything.

Think I will have to press on further with the new yard hunt!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
For what they cost I would get a wildlife camera and see what is bothering him.

Do you trust the yard staff? We had a rogue staff member where I worked once. It was CCTV who found out why some of the horses had gone nuts. The only pity was that she was not prosecuted for cruelty, she simply resigned. The video was simply awful to watch. The girl was in denial.