getting youngster to trot

twisteddiamond

Visit site
my youngster wont trot when on the lunge or under the saddle, he has been given the all clear by vet/saddler/dentist. he happily trots and canters about in the field. he gets fed on 1kg alfa a oil 400grms fiber mix complement and 2 scoops of sugar beet. short of chasing him round with a big stick i am at a loss at what to do with him

tiggersdad

Visit site
Better than bombing off too fast. I aways like to get my youngsters going by taking them on a quiet hack surrounded by schoolmasters. Ive never known one not keep up with a group. If its slow we might wait till going towards home. Im lucky Im on direct bridleways with no road work. Hope this helps. You might have to find some where similar. I wont back a horse until its going well on the lunge responsive to all commands as you might need these when mounted. Good luck.

This will probably be met with some critisism but i'd get on it with a schooling whip and make it trot. No, I wouldn't beat it excesively but things like this it is better to be sharp and firm in telling them exactly what you want from them rather than having an ongoing issue such as this. I mean whoever heard of the horse that does not trot
crazy.gif

ETA: Wouldn't have any of this trotting from a leader etc - it won't have a leader all it's life, you'll just be replacing one problem with another.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Agree with Jem, give it a crack. Its taking the mick, I also wouldnt entertain giving it a lead until it is going forwrds properly.
I guess it has been broken in properly? Even if so, some sessions on a lunge, in a headcollar and with a whip may be in order.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I'm afraid you need to be a bit tougher.. If he happily canters round on the lunge either use your lunge whip to make him go out of walk, or lunge him until he is sufficiently tired to want to drop into trot.
If he is ignoring your forward aid to this extent it's going to give you massive problems later on, he must learn your legs say forward and go from them. Back your aid up with a schooling whip tapped behind your leg, he'll soon get the idea.