Ginny has gone

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I wanted to update as people were kind enough to respond with ideas and also with reassurance that PTS was a reasonable option.

I have been so focused on getting her sound that I just never stood back and looked at her holistically. It took my daughter to do that. I am humbled by her perceptiveness and courage.

In the end we went through a decision tree:
  • Was Ginny suffering? Yes. We don’t know what was wrong but she was anxious, tense, guarded, unhappy, reluctant to move etc.=
  • Was she improving? No. She may have been sound but in herself she was worse than ever. She no longer enjoyed her inhand walks – she would drag her feet and plant. She was less and less willing to be groomed or touched. She was more defensive. She no longer played in the field. I asked the YO, YM and my daughter how they felt she was doing overall and all agreed she was a lot more miserable than in the summer even though in the summer was when she was lame all over with a really sore back.
  • Could we alter her management so she was content, eg turn away? No. She did not like cold, wet, muddy weather, she was already gate hanging (last winter she was always the first to ask to come in). And we didn’t know what was wrong with her so we could not know how to manage her in a way that would make her feel better. For all we knew, being colder or getting wet could exacerbate her issues.
  • Were there avenues still to explore that had a reasonable chance of leading to a good outcome? This was the hardest to answer. Because there are always new avenues to explore. From complementary or alternative approaches, to diet, to management, to animal communicators, to medication trials of various types, to new scopes etc etc etc
The key in the end was the question of a reasonable chance of leading to a good outcome?

I decided I needed the vet for that. He has known her all along and I trust him. I compiled a long email pulling together the ideas I had been given from here and elsewhere. He called me back and although that conversation is now a bit of a blur and I can’t really remember exactly what he said I do know that by the end of the conversation I was clear that he did not think there were any ways forward that gave a reasonable chance of a good outcome. Balanced against that was that any further investigations would in themselves be traumatic in a pony who is intensely needle shy and found being touched aversive.

All this was discussed openly with my daughter. Ginny was her pony and her view mattered a lot.

She did not want to pursue new options given the limited hope the vet was able to offer. So we made the decision to call it a day. We double dosed her with Domesedan first as she is needle shy, so she knew nothing about it at the end. Thank-you for everyone who offered ideas. I did appreciate it very much. Run free little pony.

X

IMG_20171212_193245_048.jpg

Attachments

• 24899718_1599293890150686_3735635077277010320_n.jpg
    24899718_1599293890150686_3735635077277010320_n.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 15

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
So sorry to hear this, we had to make the same decision for the older Appy last year, difficult to assess, as she was unhappy following the death of her friend, but gradually becoming more miserable and much less "herself", we had made the decision and she then went ataxic and the deed was done. It is so hard to make the choice but absolutely the right thing to do.

Mule

Visit site
I'm so sorry, I know how upsetting it is. It sounds like you made the right decision
You can be really proud of your daughter, she sounds very mature and thoughtful xx

Michen

Visit site
I think you have both been very brave and when your daughter one day has sole responsibility for a horse/pony, she has had a superb teacher to make sure she can always make the best decisions even when they are the hardest. xx

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm very sorry to see this - but it does sound like you made the best decision possible, and it's very mature of your daughter to put the pony first.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Everyone at the yard is being really supportive which helps too. I'll show this thread to Katie. I think it will be reassuring and comforting for her.

Shay

Visit site
Having the bravery to make the decision and then write what you have, really moves the discussion forward. You explored your options and have good reasons. Your bravery in sharing this will help others come to the right decision. Not only have you done the best thing for your horse you have allowed your experience to teach others.

Loosing a horse is a horrible experience. I hope you can take some comfort from the impact of your bravery.

Fools Motto

Visit site
So sorry to hear your news. Take massive comfort in that you did what was right for the pony. Your daughter is a massive credit to you. I hope you can both smile on the good times. Take care.

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear your sad news.
Massive hugs to you both. Run Free Ginny.

You've absolutely done the right thing and you have a daughter to be utterly utterly proud of.

As long as we live, they too will live, for they are now a part of us, as we remember them.

Keep those memories of the happy times safe.