Girth confusion ?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Ok folks.. I need a new girth and am now royally confused. Previous saddle fitter was very keen on not using girth with elastic as she said they are not as comfortable for the Horse as they are purported to be. Forgot to ask current fitter ??
But every time I go looking for a non stretchy girth they seem to be few and far between ....my local tack shop looked at me like I was a moron when I asked for non elastic ??
And are anatomical girth as good as they are supposed to be..??
I just want comfy horses and to avoid bankruptcy ???

chaps89

Visit site
Thorowgood do non-elasticated ones.
I also like the stubben trevira cord for the which are non-elasticated (but very delicate to wash!)
I have an ideal anatomical girth that I had made up without elastic so that might be an option.
Failing that, having always been dead set against elastic like you, my instructor got me onto the bridleway girth that has a fleece lined or neoprene lined option and I have to say, for something that was inexpensive it seemed to do the job quite nicely and I really don't think I over tightened it nor did I have any issues with the saddle slipping

Spottyappy

Visit site
StubBen cord or Kieffer do a lovely neoprene one, though you may need to buy direct from them or second hand, as I can no longer find the sizes I use here in the UK new.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Rigsby likes the Stubben cord one, but I hate the way the buckles are too wide and sometimes slip so they are one ontop of the other, creating a pressure point.

I don't mind the elastic, as long as it is proper strong elastic that you can hardly move even when you tug with all your might. The cheaper, often 2 layer ones, are far too stretchy so you end up with them too tight.

I like non elastic too, but wouldn't have one with elastic at one end.

J&S

Visit site
I have a Balding and an Athelstone, both all leather, no elastic. No slipping on a very round backed pony or on the higher withered elderly. Otherwise I like good quality lamp wick.

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Stubben was my horses favourite and he would have had them again if they did a proper short version (with keepers). You might be able to pick up second hand? I went through all the girths and it drove me nuts. Now have a lovely short girth following change if saddle and my girthing shenanigans are over! I have two stubben string going spare? 50" ish black. Let me know if interested. I also have many other girths, both with and without elastic but always both sides and super strong, but the stubben were definitely my fav. Didn't find washing them a problem, bunged in at 30 in a bag. Did need untangling when they came out tho! Mine hated the prolite but again you can buy second hand to see whether it works?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Just on your question about anatomical girths, I use one because it means the saddle slips a little less.

We're (saddler and I) struggling with a horse with massive shoulders, getting fitter, losing fat and needs a new saddle but now isnt the right time (according to saddler) so his saddle can occasionally slip (get pushed) back and she recommended an anatomical girth which has made quite a difference.

Tarragon

Visit site
I understood that elastic was OK providing it was a strong elastic and has to be on both sides.
I am also a fan of the Stubben cord girth! Love it. It is very stable and wide and airy.
I am trying to find a 20" anatomical dressage girth for the other pony - this is also proving very tricky. All the good ones I know of don't go that short!

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
I understood that elastic was OK providing it was a strong elastic and has to be on both sides.
I am also a fan of the Stubben cord girth! Love it. It is very stable and wide and airy.
I am trying to find a 20" anatomical dressage girth for the other pony - this is also proving very tricky. All the good ones I know of don't go that short!
If you don't want elastic, some of the wow girths go that short. You'll probably need a small mortgage but again possible to occasionally find second hand?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have found that all horses have their preferences. We had an Appy who hated the Stubben cord, which I had fallen on with glee when I saw them at a show, because they reminded me of the girths we used in my younger days.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I also like the Stubben cord girth but there is a supply issue at the moment and a lot of sizes are out of stock. I was looking for a shorter one. They seem to come up big and do sizes 53, 55 etc. Rather than 52, 54.

My other horse has a leather girth I think shires with elastic both ends and is fine with that. I’ve got both the Prolite anatomical (rubbed without cover and saddle slipped back more) and Fairfax anatomical (saddle started slipping forward and rubbing behind shoulder)

WelshHoarder

Visit site
We had endless problems with slightly odd-shaped baby Welshie, again saddler recommended non-elastic for her. After various cheaper padded anatomical-type ones, we ended up with a Cavaletti Collection non-elasticated leather girth and haven't had any issues since - she seems happy, and it seems decent quality!

Casey76

Visit site
I couldn’t not use an elasticated girth (elastic both sides, or in the middle).

If the girth is done up snugly, how can the rib cage expand comfortably if the girth is totally static?

Sossigpoker

Visit site

If the girth is done up snugly, how can the rib cage expand comfortably if the girth is totally static?
If you tighten it so that you can get a few fingers under the girth that won't be a problem. And only tighten it to how far it easily goes.

chaps89

Visit site

I don't do the girth up too tight basically!
Mind you, I once had the opposite problem, saddle had been slipping so duly had saddler out. She parked up, walked over and told me she could see the problem from the car park. I was amazed. She could easily fit a hand between pony and girth and suggested actually doing it up properly might help me out ??

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
To counter the stubben love Frank bunched it up behind his elbows and it rubbed (forwards, guess slightly narrow!? groove). He couldn't cope with leather either though :rolleyes:
anatomical depends on the anatomy ;) and not all elastic is equal, for instance on the harry dabbs it's strong and not stretchy like some others. Pro choice worked well for us too.

Last edited:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
another happy prolite user here, I've had them on 4 horses and all have been comfortable in them.

I also don't think there's an issue with the lack of elastic, I don't hoik my girth up particularly tight.

for elasticated girths I've had good results with Professionals choice, quite firm and elastic both sides.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I tend to use non elastic leather girths on one of mine for stability not easy to come by now but I often pick them up second hand, I have a few I no longer need if your interested pm me and I can tell you what I have.