girth gall question

pixiebee

Visit site
my pony came back from a fun ride with a girth gall just over 2 weeks ago( it was not an open sore it was like a blistery type lump.) since then it has gone right down, you cannot see it and all you can feel now is a hard lump just infront of the girth area,its not open, nor is it hot or swollen, its just a hard lump that doesnt seem to bother him. will it go down? and when am i able to ride again? ive made up a huge girth sleeve for him made out of vet bedding. i would like to go on a short hunt on moday(apporx 2 hrs long) but want to know others opinions on whether he should be ok to take or not???
grin.gif

KatB

Visit site
It sounds like its almost gone like a callous?? If its all closed up, using surgical spirit around the area will toughen the skin up, and IMO the best thing for sensitive skinned horses is leather girths with soft padding!! They can be kept clean easier than synthetic girths.

lisaward

Visit site
you could always put a padding under the girth with a gap where the gall is to remove the pressure area.
we used this if a pony at the riding school where i leant to ride
and it worked
meanwhile we used surgical spirit to harden the area and always made sure we pulled the horses legs forward.

pixiebee

Visit site
will surgical spirit not burn his skin?? it was never an open wound in the first place, more like a blister??? his girth is a leather one, with loads of vetbed rapped around it, when i put the girth on it sits just behind it, the front of the girth sits over maybe 5 mm of it, doesnt seem to worry him. do you think he'd be ok with 2 hrs of hunting?? he will sweat up under the girth area but will hose him down. just worried i might make it worse, i reckon he will be ok as its just a hard lump but wanted some opinions before i commit to going on monday!!!

KatB

Visit site
I think vetwrap may cause more friction, therefore more prbs? If anything, use a girth sleeve. Surgical spirit wont burn, its just very very good for toughening skin up. Just dont put it on any sore/ open areas, or you wont see him for dust!!!