Girth Galls.

severnmiles

Visit site
VERY thin skinned TB and last two times he's been out he's had a rub, not under his girth, more in front under the crease of the elbow, I've been putting msn ointment on it and it as always has worked wonders but I don't want this to keep happening. Has anyone got any tips? Someone said put meths on the area(not on an open wound but when its healed) and it will harden the skin. He's just so fine, even his headcollar rubs the hair off.

Any advice welcomed
smile.gif

JAK

Visit site
Agree with JM - not only do they 'spread the load' on wide, well-covered, roly-poly cob types, they spread the pressure area on thin-skinned types & the air-circulation through the girth helps prevent the build-up of sweat &/or rubbing in one place!
Also, they don't go stiff & 'crunchy' like most girths & remain very soft even after washing!
As long as you stretch their legs out when fitted, the strings don't bunch/roll together & they don't pinch!
Give 'em a go!
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
Catherine P - He's washed off everytime he's ridden but I don't suppose it helps as he's sweaty whilst being worked. I'll try witch hazel - thanks!

Amymay - He's in a leather girth now which I use on all of the others and it doesn't affect them, someone said leather was bad as its not breathable though?

severnmiles

Visit site
Thanks JM7 and JAK!
smile.gif
I just spoke to a friend who suggested the wintec girth saying that was breathable.

I always stretch his legs, front and back by order of my back lady!!
smirk.gif

0ldmare

Visit site
Get a sheepskin girth sleeve. It will cure the problem and help heal any girth sores. But it must be sheepskin, not synthetic