Girth suggestions

zaminda

Visit site
I am having problems with one of my horses getting what looks like a golf ball on both sides from the girth. These don't hurt at all, and trust me she would let you know if they did. They appear when I do longer rides, she did 40k on sunday, and they were back. They will probably now not go at all. She wears a shaped padded girth and a girth sleeve, so am looking for a wide girth or something similar I think. What does everybody use? Would have to be available in short lengths as she isn't very big!
I will say the vet saw them at the ride, and wasn't worried, they are behind the girth I think.

antigone

Visit site
Does she have a forward girth groove? I have found that some of the curved shaped girths (moon and Fairfax types) look as if they are brilliant but end up tight on the back edge and much looser on the front causing pressure to be concentrated on the back edge. The flat anatomical ones (with elbow room) don't seem to do this as much. I use a professionals choice ventech which is the best I have found so far

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Agree re pro choice and with them being grippy they aren't done up as tightly as some girths so should hopefully eliminate your issue. I just ordered a 16" one from the States via Old Mill Saddlery who did it special order for me. Took 6 weeks tho.

I have a pony who gets lumps from shaped girths. Don't know why!

Kat

Visit site
My horse is very sensitive and has been rubbed by girths in the past. I currently use a professional choice Ventech girth and it is very good. But if I had a saddle that didn't need a dressage girth I would still be using a Stubben cord girth, they are lovely and soft, don't rub, are wide, can be easily washed and are cheap!