Girthing / Saddle problem?

Blizzard

Visit site
Beau has totally outgrown his dressage saddle, it looks like a pony saddle on him! So anyway I was planning on riding him yesterday, he hasnt been ridden September, and with his saddle not fitting I tried Lance's on him, as that is an extra wide.

So put it on, went to fasten the girth, it was far too short! It is a 54".
Now I was planning on buying a 58", but I KNOW that will be far too short still, and Beau is a bit skinny if anything at the mo, he has a bit of a droopy belly but that is lack of muscle tone.

I dont really know what to do, I was thinking about getting one of those girth extenders?

However I dont want to have to use one of those long term, and he needs a new saddle.

I would be ok with a dressage saddle because they have longer girth straps, but I want a VSD/straighter cut GP, worried it will look ridiculous if I request it made with longer girth straps.

Has anyone else had this problem, and how have you overcome it?
confused.gif

CBAnglo

Visit site
I had the webbing part of the girth straps on my SC dressage lengthened by about 4 cms because I didnt like the bulk of the leather under my leg. It is completely fine - the ends just tuck into the keepers in my girth.

I think it is a bit easier to solve for a dressage style saddle saddle as the straps are much longer to begin with. With a GP the girth obviously needs to be that much longer to the able to tuck up under the flap. But it should be possible to lengthen the straps to give you something to work with - have certainly done this for more roly poly types!