Girthing up - stretching out forelegs...

tankgirl1

Visit site
I was taught 20 odd years ago that you always stretch out forelegs after girthing up. Then you mount and girth up again if necc.

Anyway, question is do you stretch forelegs - I've seen many over the last few months that don't - is it an old fashioned thing? It seems to make sense to get any wrinkles out near the girth area.....

devilinajar

Visit site
I always stretch out the front legs, one of the mares i ride is very sensitive and if you forget she always ends up with a sore. Especially at this time of year when a little wooly!!

shadowboy

Visit site
I used to until my horses physio told me stretching out the legs like that when the muscles are cold can do some damage. So I stopped but maybe should pick it up again?

tankgirl1

Visit site
It just seems common sense to give them a stretch - esp if you tack up in the stable! Surely it can't do any harm, but may make them uncomfy if you don't, so I reckon I'll continue to stretcchh post girthing up :D

Cahill

Visit site
yes,always,horsey nearly does it on her own!
i also like to make sure that where girth,nunmah and saddle all meet are nice and smooth too.

(i never girth up all in one go,i pick feet out in between then go back and it goes up a couple of holes.hate to see people yank the girth up)

another thing i do is stand infront and check bridle is level.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Yes but no further than a step forward would take the leg.

A friend was in my stables one day when I did this and said 'Oh you do it as well, lots of people don't seem to'.

It surely must be more comfortable for the horse.

siennamum

Visit site
We only used to do it to pull hair out from between string girths, so no reason as far as I am aware to do it with leather girths or similar

LittleGinger

Visit site
I used to, until I had the saddler out one day, saddle was on his back etc. and the saddler asked to see me ride in it. I said something like, "ok, I'll just stretch his legs and then I'll get on" and her reply (as I picked up his forelegs) was "that makes absolutely no difference to him but if it makes you happy then carry on."

Felt a bit daft then going round to do the other leg!
Now sometimes I do and sometimes I don't - I can see the theory behind it but I've never noticed a difference to be honest. When I do, I just bend his leg slightly at the knee and then bring it forward from there, I don't pull his whole leg out in front.

madmav

Visit site
Shadowboy, that was pretty much what the instructor who told me off for doing it was saying, that id pull something out or something by doing it. Hmmm.

Definitely hmmmm. If a gentle stretch forward of a leg pulls something out, best not to get on board a horse that rickety!
And think it was originally thought a good idea with string girths so no skin was getting pinched. But for horses, as for humans, all stretching, gently, is a good thing.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Definitely hmmmm. If a gentle stretch forward of a leg pulls something out, best not to get on board a horse that rickety!
And think it was originally thought a good idea with string girths so no skin was getting pinched. But for horses, as for humans, all stretching, gently, is a good thing.

It probably did come from string girth days.

I wouldn't be impressed with a saddler that made me feel silly either!

Dumbo

Visit site
I always used to until a lady told me i should never do it because it causes wrinkles under the girth so i haven't since!

Last edited:

mandwhy

Visit site
I don't, have only known one person who does it as I recall... I think all it does it smooth the skin into the right place but a step forward with each leg would do that anyway!

whoatherejig

Visit site
yes,always,horsey nearly does it on her own!
i also like to make sure that where girth,nunmah and saddle all meet are nice and smooth too.

(i never girth up all in one go,i pick feet out in between then go back and it goes up a couple of holes.hate to see people yank the girth up)

another thing i do is stand infront and check bridle is level.

Me too Cahill, and check that the forelock is all facing front, and no whiskers caught. :)

popeyesno1fan

Visit site
I always do, Shauna's pony didnt have a clue what i was asking at the start, but he's coming around. x. It tends to be old school, and those of us that were taught it, havn't forgotten it. I think it's good practice, I'd hate if my belt was pinching me, lol!!

Copperpot

Visit site
I don't. I was always told by my running coach never to stretch before I had warmed myself up. I use the same analogy for my horse. Cold muscles don't stretch well. A gentle pull to free any loose skin may be on thou?

Silmarillion

Visit site
I did with my mare as she had a very forward girthing point and would always get folds of skin caught under the girth from her "armpits". I don't with the stabled one as I don't do his girth up over-tight before he's walked round and got the girth in a comfy place.

Littlelegs

Visit site
I heard it originated from string girths too. I was told to do it as a kid & the habit stuck. Especially handy I found when daughter was little & rode rather porky ponies in pony pads or cub saddles to make sure no flab was trapped between the girth straps. I'm sure it probably isn't necessary now, but I still do it with ponies, although not routinely with horses. Unlikely to do any harm, I was always taught the upper leg should only move as far forward as it does when you pick out feet. Which doesn't seem to do any harm before warming up.