Girths - Fairfax, others?

soloequestrian

Visit site
My mare has a Fairfax girth. We've started moving faster on hacks in the past few months and her saddle slips back - not hugely, but enough that it's not just quite balanced. It only goes so far and then stops. I'm looking at different girths and someone from an online saddlery suggested that the Fairfax is designed for a forwards girth groove and so might be contributing to sending the saddle back (i.e. it's designed to keep the saddle back and she doesn't have a forwards groove). Is that correct? I though the Fairfax was pretty straight overall, the curves are just for elbow room? She suggested the Passier Dynamic but then seemed a bit confused about which way round would help with my problem (I have mailed back, just don't expect an answer until next week). I thought the Passier BLU grip looked interesting but can't find out why it is called 'grip' (even on the Passier website). Does anyone have any suggestions or relevant information? Many thanks!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve got a Fairfax anatomical girth and yes it is designed for a forward girth groove. I find the curves don’t work particularly well on mine as it can still rub behind the shoulder. I really need a narrow gauge but they don’t make them long enough for mine.

If your saddle is slipping back you probably need it adjusted so I’d get the saddler out. I’ve just replaced my oldies saddle as his was slipping back and nothing I did kept it in place as he’d changed shape. Saddler was a bit ? at its fit although I’d had it reflocked by a different saddler only last year and it supposedly fit.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Would you be prepared to post photos? I know this has been a challenge for you for a long time, girths are tricky and can be expensive, and even as a saddle fitter there are no easy answers. I think I've said before that wide, grippy girths like Le Tixerant are the ones I tend to recommend for saddles that slip back.

Starzaan

Visit site
I have Scharf Freedom Girths for mine and LOVE them. One of my horses is particularly fussy about tack and this was an absolute dream find for him!

Last edited:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have Scharf Freedom Girths got mine and LOVE them. One of my horses is particularly fussy about tack and this was an absolute dream find for him!
My saddler wanted me to try one, but the absurdly thin bit just looked like a potential weak point and I wimped out.

I tried to get a Le Tixerant, but need a long girth and couldn't find one.

My previous horse had a Fairfax and it gave her a girth gall!

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I'm a bit wary of 'sticky' girths because the mare has quite sensitive skin and I'm not sure how she'd react if the girth was pulling at all. I'm wondering though it a straight girth would be all we need - hadn't really registered that Fairfax ones are designed for forwards girth grooves (presume most horses have forwards girth grooves??). I'll try to post some pictures though not sure I have any that show the problem clearly.

soloequestrian

Visit site
This is where the saddle sits when I school. Please ignore the weird toe first landing, she doesn't move like that normally, I think we must have been a bit lacking forwardsness...
Io 30_3_22.png
This is after a hack when she had her winter coat - her girth groove isn't really that pronounced, it just flattened the fluff.
Io girth groove.png

sbloom

The angle isn't great but it does look like the saddle is a smidge low in front which is a classic reason for a saddle running backwards. Her girth groove is fairly normal (no, not all horses have forward girth grooves at all) so I'm less convinced its a girthing issue. She looks like you really work her up in front, does the saddle run backwards worse when she's not warmed up, or otherwise isn't lifting in front?

She does have plenty of room for a wide girth, I've not yet met a horse that doesn't tolerate the Le Tixerant, and I think you'd know I'm no fan of grippy pads under the saddle, but the girths don't seem to cause the same issues, in my experience.

Have you talked to Wow? They have such a huge selection of girths now that they may be able to help.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks, that's interesting. The saddle only moves when we hack - steep hills and she produces some very big trot when she's out. It doesn't move in the school - I'm still not asking much from her so I think it's just her natural posture that makes her look up in front - she is very uphill. For reasons not worth going into here she is currently sharing the saddle with my other horse who likes it set very, very wide. I need to get her one just for her but I wanted to experiment with a shorter saddle so got a 16" in the same brand but it's just too small for me. Once I get another 17" I can put a slightly narrower gullet in.

sbloom

Crumbs, just started looking at Wow and their Free Space girth looks great.... no idea how to choose though!

I'm sure you could call them and ask advice. There can be issues with hill work, I have a customer at the moment whose horse shows much more rotation in the spine when hacking as he's more strung out and not as stable, the school she helps him stabilise, so he has had small swellings come up but only when hacking. Have a think about whether her way of going may be a factor, I suspect that big trot is less balanced, less stable, more rotation and less up in front.