Girths - Help

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
OK, horse has lost some weight so need to get a shorter girth. He currently has a stubben string girth. Can't really afford another one of those along with hoping weight loss will be short term now he is on haylage. We have had issues with saddle slippage before with the stubben girth dealt with, but now lost weight hoping will be less of an issue!

So been looking at the Requisite Comfy Girth, anyone used it or have it ?? reviews good and bad ??

http://www.robinsonsequestrian.com/saddles-tack/saddlery/girths/requisite-comfy-girth.html

I have tried in the past wintex and thorwgood girths but due to their material did not help with slippage at all and so did not get along with them.

Thanks

Shay

Visit site
Never used girths like this I'm afraid - or in fairness a string girth since the 1970's! Saddles shouldn't slip though. If they do then a girth is a really blunt instrument to deal with it. It would be better to get the saddle correctly fitted. There are horse shapes that are really hard to fit and there are times when the animal's weight changes and you need something temporary to bridge the gap. But simply putting a shorter girth on a slipping saddle isn't the best answer - which may be why no-one has responded.

Sprig

Visit site
I have no idea as I always used Stubben string girths but I do have one I am not using so feel free to PM me if you want me to measure it for you to see if it could be suitable.

teddypops

Visit site
I use the stubben string girths and I buy them off eBay, I recently got a couple that were barely used for around £10 each

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
Never used girths like this I'm afraid - or in fairness a string girth since the 1970's! Saddles shouldn't slip though. If they do then a girth is a really blunt instrument to deal with it. It would be better to get the saddle correctly fitted. There are horse shapes that are really hard to fit and there are times when the animal's weight changes and you need something temporary to bridge the gap. But simply putting a shorter girth on a slipping saddle isn't the best answer - which may be why no-one has responded.

Not sure why you think saddle does not fit. But there we go, proves that some people take for granted that things fit correctly when peole post and some assume don't. And that I don't know what I am doing. Was merely asking for opinions on a girth.

Thanks to other replies.

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site

rachk89

Visit site
I have one like the requisite one but by shires. Got it as my horse seemed uncomfortable with a normal girth and it seemed to be causing some lumps to appear on his belly which have now gone. Saddle doesn't slip when using it so I would get it if I were you.

acorn92x

Visit site
Get another string girth. The only other girth I would ever consider using aside from this is a Fairfax one (Which would be way over budget) as they are that good. If you can't afford a brand new one then as another poster suggested, I would look on eBay. I got one which was virtually brand new off of their for £15 a couple of months ago.

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
I have one like the requisite one but by shires. Got it as my horse seemed uncomfortable with a normal girth and it seemed to be causing some lumps to appear on his belly which have now gone. Saddle doesn't slip when using it so I would get it if I were you.

Ah okay thanks. Like the look of that. He is getting older now and want him to be comfy. Like fluffy! !! Will get a size down from what he has now. Should be OK! We are currently up 4/5 hole both sides on our current! But I suppose with elestic do I got 2 sizes down ......

Thanks everyone. X

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
If the Stubben girth works then I'd hunt down a used or cheap one, they can be very good indeed. Choice of girth on a round horse can be critical - I like the Stubben Treviras and a good padded and shaped leather Atherstone with strong elastic at both ends.