Girths.. which one and why?

5horses2dogsandacat

Generally on a hill.. when not blown off the side.
Visit site
Just window shopping at the moment for girths for my mare now she has a new saddle I thought I might treat her :p

Im a bit old school and have always used a cottage craft standard girth, been looking at the humane girths, shes not a cob, but is rounder in type.. Ive read mixed reviews on whether or not these work with the round shaped types, but has an astonishing talent for puffing out her stomach when I am trying to get the girth done up and lots of people have said the humane type are great for the tummy bloaters lol

Saddle sits fine and I dont find it slips (apart from when I put the dreaded elasticated on one end on her.. just to experiment and see what it did in this new saddle.)

Thanks for any guidance.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I like this kind (shaped around elbows, wide section in the middle to spread the pressure) with a sheepskin liner or a stud girth (again with sheepskin liner). I tried many girths with chestnut mare and this is what she A, liked and B, didn't rub her. :)

johnwhitakerpressuregirth.jpg

lialls

Visit site
Another vote for the Stubben Cord girth! Have had a sneeky look at a shaped girth lately like the one above but im still pretty set on the cord one.

Stroppy Mare

Visit site
Another vote for the stubben cord (trevira) girth. I have 3 browns and a white and the white stays sparkling - just shove in the washing machine and it comes out like new!

rascal

Visit site
I have always used a cottage craft one, but hubby got a humane one for his shire x dutch and loves it. Its now time for me to be thinking about tack for my welsh cob and im thinking of getting him a humane one as well.