Give and retake the reins - Dressage report!!

JustKickOn

Visit site
Well, Friday evening was spent washing legs and tail, plaiting up and hoping for the best they would stay in.
Saturday morning brought a lovely 6am start, on the yard by 7am, tests learnt (kind of), mucking out and a stomach full of coco pops!

Just as a little background (I'll try to keep it that way!), I have only been riding K since July, but only recently do I feel I'm getting to know her, and we're both getting along. She's a stubborn mare, and if there would be any words to describe her it would definitely be "madam" or "diva"!! :eek: :D

We did an unaff. dressage (prelim) at Solihull in the Summer. Her warm up was ok there, not concentrating much though, and I was being taken for a ride, rather than being the rider. Our first test there consisted of cantering down the center line, leaving the arena, and flying changes, accompanied by giraffe impressions and a general eff off attitude. I persisted and went into my second test. It was a little better but not by much.

We did some xc over summer, schooling and hacking. Then she went lame. And then again, and it wasn't looking good. :(
Farrier couldn't find anything in her foot. Vets could see nothing on x-rays and put it down to bruised feet. The same vet trip revealed that a tooth she'd had some issue with had got a lot worse, and needed removing. She had to go under completely, 4 days spent at the vets on box rest (for a horse who hates being stabled, she did well) and then two weeks off at home. Walking in hand, and then a week of just walking on a surface, gradually bringing her back into work.

Since her tooth has been out, she been like a different horse in the mouth. She hasn't had any more lameness (touch wood). Fab farrier who has spoken to the vet about shoeing, and she's doing well in those areas.

Monday the 2nd I'd had an intensive lesson with Claire McCormick, which helped both of us to no end. I've never had a lesson like it, and loved every minute of it. I have always struggled to get K to go in a straight line, especially down the centre line, but we nailed it in that lesson! Albeit, she has too much bend at the moment, but with practise and lots more lessons, this will gradually decrease and fingers crossed we will keep on improving.

So Saturday, off we went to Swallowfield, warm up was quiet, and K really got down and concentrated. I felt we really were doing well, and I've never cantered on her before like we did in that warm up, it was simply fab (IMHO!)

Prelim 12, after a fab 50 minute warm up, we had a little issue getting into the indoor school, but once in there, she was completely different to how she was at Solihull. :D
We got 6's and 7's for our trot and 7's for our canters, which has always been her weakest pace, and an overall 7 for her paces. I got a 6 for my riding which is understandable as I have a habit of tipping forward, and my lower leg doesn't do me many favours. But overall we got 58%, and came 5th. Our first rosette and we qualified for the Trailblazers second rounds :D :D :D To be perfectly honest, regardless of our score, I am so so proud of how she went, she felt like a completely different horse, and I could not stop smiling afterwards. :D

We only had half an hour between tests, so this was quite nice as could just keep her walking around, and have a quick warm up before the second test. No faffing back at the lorry etc. It was a lovely sunny day too, so was nice to have the sun on our backs. :)

Prelim 14, I felt was much better test for both of us, but we only got 50% for that one. I was a little disappointed seeing that score, but I was happy with K's performance, so kind of forgot that score :p
GIVE AND RE-TAKE THE REINS for those who replied to my post about this, THANK YOU!! K maintained her position, and staying in an outline! :D Very happy with this, but I rode the circle a bit too big which let us down. I really kicked myself for that on.
7's again for the canter, and 6's and 7's for trot. Last centre line we got a 4 as I didn't keep her straight, and little too flexed one way so she was on 3 tracks. Had it been shoulder in down the centre line, we'd have nailed it :eek: She stepped back in both of her halts, but on the initial stop she was bang on square which is a shame, but we can work on that.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with how Saturday went, and I am so looking forward to having more lessons, improving our performance (and definitely my position!!), and going out and doing lots more competitions.
May even attempt a combined training in February, and lots more dressage!!! :D

Come on 2012, BRING IT ON! :D :D :D

Thanks for reading
Lizzie :)

JustKickOn

Visit site
Thank everyone :)

No pics of the test, only videos on a friend's phone, but they haven't got any internet at the minute so they can't send them :(

B-B

Visit site
Thats a great start! And well done you!

And..is sounds like you enjoyed it...which is the best bit :)

Spellbound13

Visit site
Well done you. I love how after a dressage test you always come away feeling pleased with yourself and your horse, its such a rewarding dicipline/competiton.

very well done, but next time take pics and videos :p hehe