Given a week's notice to leave our yard!

I See Clover

Visit site
My mum and I have been at said yard nearly a year now. Previous to that we had been there for around 5 years until 2006 with no problems.

A new livery came about 4 weeks ago with a loan horse. New livery seemed really nice and so did her mum. Loan horse was only here about a week then sent back as they said the owner was a psycho. They then bought a 4 year old mare from a dealer.

New mare was put into our field with our mare (11 years), our gelding (19 months) and our friends mare (5 years). Liveries mum isn’t horsey, is fairly scared of them and can exaggerate the horses behaviour as a result.

For first couple of days our gelding had been a bit excited about the new addition to the field. Nothing aggressive, just pestering her a bit by going up to her a lot. She would chase him away and he would go. New livery and mum mentioned this a couple of times, but we said it’s just because she’s new to the field and they would all settle - which they did.

New liveries’ best friend (who has 2 horses at another yard) came up to see liveries’ new horse. She seemed quite friendly. Next day livery started bitching about her saying she has a 5 year old mare that is a complete psycho, friend is scared of it, can’t go in the stable without it trying to kill you, unbroken because everyone has refused to go near it, blah blah. Then find out the other day that said friend was to be moving up to our yard and welshie was getting put into our field after new livery encouraged her!?

Liveries mum started to get quite mouthy about everyone else up at the yard, making up brutal names for other liveries and slagging the owners wife. It turned out the livery and her mum were some distant relative of the yard owners. They then started slagging off our friend’s husband and son, at which point we thought it was best to steer clear of them altogether. They weren’t just slagging these people off, but they were basically proactively sucking up their ***** and seeking friendship with them.

I try to avoid confrontation at all costs, I like to keep myself to myself and I hate getting involved in bitchiness like that so I kept my distance. I would say Hi to them and speak if spoken to, but I wouldn’t go out my way to make conversations etc.

Then started to find out from our friend (who’s husband and son they slagged) that they had been moaning about our gelding with different things each time. Started off with our gelding biting our friend’s mares neck. They were only playing, there weren’t any cuts/marks, and the mare had been reciprocating so wasn’t unwanted etc. He went through a bit of a bolshy phase that he is starting to come out of. It was mostly stable manners - he would try and barge out stable door and not standing at the hose etc. My mum and I have worked on him ever since and is starting to behave again. Liveries mum piped up “You need to give that horse a good ********* kick in” or something to that effect. Livery and mum have been talking about us about various other stuff, basically just nit picking.

Like I said, I hate confrontation so I ignored everything that had been said and not risen to it thinking they would get bored and stop. But things just seemed to get worse and came to a head the other day. Went up in the afternoon to muck out - Livery and mum came up. Went round to another block of stables talking to a woman whom they refer to as “wee fatty” and talking away like best of friends. Went to go and get the horses in and liveries mum said “it’s chaos out there.” I just assumed they were having a run around or whatever. She never said anything else. Went to the field and they were standing dozing. Brought our mare in and our friend came round to my stable. Said that our gelding had been attempting to mount her mare for past couple of hours. We spoke about it and I said I would move him into another field with only geldings next day.

Turned out it was livery and her mum that had told my friend. Seems like they have had it in for our gelding since day one. I was really annoyed because instead of coming to me and telling me straightaway so I could get him out of the field, they decided to wait 30 minutes on my friend coming up and telling her. Also, they hadn’t even been up 1 hour, so he couldn’t have been at it for hours. Fields are a bit muddy just now due to weather so friend was expecting marks over the rug where our gelding had been attempting to mount. The rug was spotless. Our geldings legs were muddy from field so didn’t add up. When we went to get the horses in, my horses were at the opposite side of the field to the two other horses. So was very dubious about believing their story.

Anyway, went to bring our gelding in and get everything done. Livery and mum were lingering around at my friends stable. She later told me they were goading her to phone my mum about the whole thing. Liveries’ mum later started private messaging our friend on Facebook asking if they had been any phone calls from us.

Next day, our gelding was put out in the other field just to avoid an argument and keep the peace. We had asked the yard owner if we could move stables as our gelding was finding his current stable quite tight. The beams are quite low and were getting in the way and corridor down to the stable was tight. We moved round to two other stables on opposite side of the yard. I was quite happy to be moving as it also meant we would be away from them and avoid anymore hassle.

Liveries mum came round in the afternoon asking if we had moved and I said we had. My mum was standing just around the corner and then took the dog for a walk. Liveries mum disappeared. Came back 2 mins later and demanded where my mum was. She had an attitude and was very snidey. She was trying to say my mum was ignoring her and as she was walking away said “there better not be a ********** problem.” I just ignored her. Mum came back and we finished the horses. Liveries mum came back around and started on my mum, saying she had ignored her twice. She didn’t actually ask my mum anything. Liveries mum then said “there must be a problem then” and my mum admitted there was a bit of a problem and explained about the mounting etc. I said that she could have told me and I would have removed him from the field straightaway if that was the case. She said she did tell me. She walked away shouting and out of pure frustration I shouted back. My mum was pretty annoyed at the way she spoke to me and went around to the big barn where livery, mum and few other spectators were. Livery and mum was denying everything and trying to turn the blame on to our friend. It got a bit heated on both sides. There was a bit of shouting and swearing.

Mum and I left. Spoke to friend on the phone who told us they had left the yard and went straight to her door! They aren’t even friends. Since then they have aired their dirty laundry on Facebook. My mum went up to the yard to bring horses in this afternoon. I then had her crying down the phone saying we had been given a weeks notice to leave the yard. They had went to the owner and told him that I have been bad mouthing him for weeks and he has come to the conclusion I have instigated the whole situation.

I haven’t said a bad word about the owner. I have never heard such utter lies in my life. I don’t even talk to the livery or her mum. For the past few weeks, I have barely been up when they or anyone else have been around and because of all their bitching I have deliberately distanced myself from them because I didn’t want to be involved in all that. I keep myself to myself, I go up and do what I have to do and that’s it.

We tried ignoring them but it just seemed to get worse and worse... to the point that we had to stick up for ourselves. The owner refused to listen when my mum tried to explain our side of the story - he had already made his mind up. I feel like this is grossly unfair.

We are genuinely nice people trying to enjoy our horses and distance ourselves from any havoc. We have spent 6 years there with no trouble whatsoever. New livery and her mum have been there 4 weeks, done all this damage, but because they are relatives we have to leave? In reflection, my mum and I could have dealt with it better than we did, but they seemed to be provoking the situation like they were seeking an argument.

I’m not bothered about having to move yards, I would much rather be well away from people like that - people will eventually see for themselves how disgusting they have been about everyone else. But trying to find a yard and move within a week is tight. What happens if we can’t find somewhere within that time? Can he physically put our horses off his land?

Sorry for such an essay, had to vent.

Trinity Fox

Visit site
All I can say is if your YO is too thick to see what is going on or is willing to take their word over yours then you are better off out of there.

What I will say is do not argue with them at all or discuss what is going on with anyone else on the yard be friendly to everyone and discuss how nice the yard you are moving to is.

Smile sweetly at them and just say you dont wish to argue this will annoy the hell out of them it will not let them know you are bothered and they may well blow a gasket and show their colours because of it.

To be honest you are better not being on a yard with this pond life.

Capriole

Visit site
nutters.

carry a voice recorder thing around with you for the rest of the week and get their knobbery on tape, if thats legal :p

flowerlady

Visit site
So sorry for the trouble you and your mum are having. Sometimes it's better to move on especially if they are related to YO . Once the YO start losing other liveries and it hits there livelyhood they will realise (when it's too late).

I really hope you find somewhere nice and not too large. I think small yards are better not so much arguing.

Good luck

Let us know how you get on. Do you have a contract? If so what does it say about notice?

millimoo

Visit site
I agree, you are best off out of there... What a nightmare though, and I think the yard owner is being unreasonable expecting you to be gone within the week.
What are they going to do after the 7 days if you haven't found somewhere?
People like that are just poisonous, and quite frankly, let them get on with it.
Good luck in finding somewhere new :)

I See Clover

Visit site
All I can say is if your YO is too thick to see what is going on or is willing to take their word over yours then you are better off out of there.

What I will say is do not argue with them at all or discuss what is going on with anyone else on the yard be friendly to everyone and discuss how nice the yard you are moving to is.

Smile sweetly at them and just say you dont wish to argue this will annoy the hell out of them it will not let them know you are bothered and they may well blow a gasket and show their colours because of it.

To be honest you are better not being on a yard with this pond life.

I completely agree. There is another livery who is also a distant relative and I think she had some involvement when the yard owner was told all this lies.

I plan on keeping my head high because I know I haven't spoke badly about anyone nor instigated the situation. I won't be talking to them again before I leave. I do not want anything to do with them ever.

nutters.

carry a voice recorder thing around with you for the rest of the week and get their knobbery on tape, if thats legal :p

Could be against human rights? But who cares :p

So sorry for the trouble you and your mum are having. Sometimes it's better to move on especially if they are related to YO . Once the YO start losing other liveries and it hits there livelyhood they will realise (when it's too late).

I really hope you find somewhere nice and not too large. I think small yards are better not so much arguing.

Good luck

Let us know how you get on. Do you have a contract? If so what does it say about notice?

Thank you. Yeah in a way I'm glad it has happened as I think things would have only got worse.

I didn't sign a contract, I'm not sure if my mum did, I will need to check.

I agree, you are best off out of there... What a nightmare though, and I think the yard owner is being unreasonable expecting you to be gone within the week.
What are they going to do after the 7 days if you haven't found somewhere?
People like that are just poisonous, and quite frankly, let them get on with it.
Good luck in finding somewhere new :)

The yards in our area are all full so we are having to look further afield. I'm afraid incase we can't find somewhere in time. I don't know what he will do if we don't find somewhere within the week, he didn't say anything to my mum. I completely agree, it will be a huge relief in getting away from that kind of environment.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Just reading your story and now it makes sense with your other thread...

The livery yard in South Lanarkshire where I keep my horse may have space. It's far from ideal in terms of location for you but if you were really in a tight spot, it's better than nothing. It's a very chilled out, laidback sort of place but they take excellent care of the horses. PM me if you want contact info for the yard owner.

I See Clover

Visit site
Just reading your story and now it makes sense with your other thread...

The livery yard in South Lanarkshire where I keep my horse may have space. It's far from ideal in terms of location for you but if you were really in a tight spot, it's better than nothing. It's a very chilled out, laidback sort of place but they take excellent care of the horses. PM me if you want contact info for the yard owner.

Thanks. My mum and I are going to see a few yards tomorrow a bit closer to home, but I will let you know how we get on.

Ladydragon

Visit site
New livery and her mum have been there 4 weeks, done all this damage, but because they are relatives we have to leave?

Sometimes blood is thinker than water... And...

/\ This...

No doubt these rather obnoxious individuals will ruffle other feathers once their current target (you) is out of range... Other liveries might leave and YO will realise his relations are having a negative influence on his business...

Good luck in finding a suitable (and way sweeter) yard... :)

luckyoldme

Visit site
loonies.. this happened at my first yard. I should have smelt a rat when she didn t take her horse to a 'friend' who had a livery yard.You can t win with these folk because they are just so angry and bitter that they thrive on bad feeling.
Where i was i had a workshop the horses a caravan and a artic parked over the weekend. It came to a head on a monday... the horses were gone by the thursday and the business the truck and caravan by the end of the month... It can be done!
Only when you move away from these mad women will you know how much they have spoilt your time with your horse.. and most of it allways stems from the green eyed monster.

BonneMaman

Visit site
Can't your mum go and speak to the YO quietly - ask to explain the situation and say if you still want us to leave then so be it but please let me have my say first.

You are probably best out of there anyway, that is unless they are willing to get rid of the other people but this seems unlikely.

There is really nothing worse than bad feeling and bitching at a yard. I have only experienced this once and I left because I couldn't be arsed to deal with it every day. Too stressful!

Best of luck,

Clippy

Visit site
Don't waste your time even bothering with the YO, he's obviously made up his mind. I doubt it will be very long before the rest of his liveries drift away, it sounds like a hellhole and how can you relax and enjoy your horse in an environment like that.

Good luck with your search for a new yard, i'm sure anywhere will be an improvement on the last. You might be as well to say nothing about where you're hoping to move to so no one can bitch before you even move ;)

SavingGrace

Visit site
I would be certain to tell the yard owners exactly what has gone on along with providing any proof of it. You will find somewhere even if it just an interim till you find something more suitable.

Tinypony

Visit site
I would leave regardless, and put as much energy as possible into getting out within the week, even if that means a few weeks of temporary grass livery while you wait for stables. I probably wouldn't discuss it with the YO at all, unless it looked as if there was difficulty meeting the deadline to go. In which case I'd get mum to have a quiet word with him pointing out the problem and asking for more time.
I'd leave, then send a really brief letter (much briefer than your thread to the YO). I'd just say that you loved being at the yard and when the situation started to get difficult there you both went out of your way to avoid problems. However, your lives were made a misery and the lies being told, and the abusive language directed at you, escalated regardless. Thank him for being a good YO during your time there, and ask him to just consider this when the same people start telling him stories about other liveries. Wish him well and sign off.

Then forget the whole thing and enjoy the new place.

Oh, and don't engage in this at all via text or Facebook. Stay squeaky clean. If you find anything really drastic being said about you on-line and can save screen shots to prove it, do so, and contact the police.

Sunshine

Visit site
You are definitely better off out of there! People like that will not rest until they have fixed the yard to their preference, be that liveries they like, grazing how they want it or even just to have the feeling of power.

If your friend has still got access to all the comments on FB then I'd ask her to copy and paste them to a word doc (or screen print the page) and let you have them. At least this way you know for definite that they were made. I'd be so tempted then to hand a copy of all the evidence to the yard owner as I left!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I wouldn't want to stay there with that sort of hassle regardless of how convenient it might be.
You're never going to win in this situation so just find somewhere and move.
As a YO you do sometimes see people not getting on but it's best not to interfere except to be accommodating about separating horses etc.
Yes, he shouldn't have taken sides, but remember if you were the ones allowed to stay he would have much worse earache from all his relatives.
I wouldn't take it lyng down however, once you leave send him a letter with the facts as you have told us, and explain you feel badly treated. Agree you shouldn't have lost your temper but were provoked, and remind him how long you have been there trouble free. No he won't ask you to stay but it will allow him to see who is at fault here. Good luck in your search, and for what it's worth, I belive you re the mounting, there would have been mud on her mare's rug...

SaharaS

Visit site
keep calm, cool &move on! you may even find a nice spot for your two away from a livery yard so its only you there...post on here perhaps for any yards and even try rent a field &buy a second hand stable on skids?good luck,do not envy you at all. most importantly avoid avoid avoid! x

pixiebee

Visit site
I know exactly how you feel, I have been there. Its so bloody frustrating when you try your damn hardest to get along with people and all they do is throw it back in your face. When I got a new horse at my old yard, the bitching started, they were saying things like I didnt go to feed him or check him etc. Along with many other things. It was a small yard so I couldnt avoid the bitching. I had enough of it so up and left within a week. Wasnt worth the misery or hassle. I could only put it down to jealousy, I was always polite, made conversation and talked to them about their horses-showed interested but behind my back...well thats another story. I am now at a big yard and couldnt be happier, it was the best move I ever made. I actually find bigger yards less bitchy in a way as if there is a dodgy individual (or two) then it is easier to avoid them. Keep your chin up, this could be the best move you ever made!

dumpling

Visit site
How did I know this was Scottish?! Lol.

Honestly, you're best bet is to forget about these *****. Let them get on with it. Find somewhere else and be alot happier. Been there done it.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's not fair bit life sometimes isn't .
just leave its best they will start on someone else some people are just nasty and nutters.
if I was your mum I would talk face to face with the yard owner but I would still go.
Don't enage on Facebook or anywhere the best way to infuriate these people is to ignore them.
Hope you find a nice yard soon.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
So sorry you've had all this grief. You do sound like lovely people. Keep cool, calm and collected and say little. Keep a smile on your face, carry on as normal with friendly liveries and don't let the awful people know how much they have inconvenienced you.
My guess is that they go through life causing misery and mayhem to all they meet and when you're gone, they will move onto their next target. The truth will come out in the end but at least you won't have to endure them much longer.
I've met people like that and no matter how you try to keep your head down, it never stops their nasty behaviour. They dislike people who are happy, functional and decent because it highlights everything they are not.
Good luck with finding a new yard and getting back to enjoying your horses.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Where are you looking for a yard, maybe someone knows of one. I have just moved under duress and found it took me three weeks [ YO threatened to remove my horse from yard, don't know what they thought they were going to do with it!]

I See Clover

Visit site
Thanks for everyone's replies and messages - they have cheered me up loads. I have showed my mum this thread and the messages I have received and it has cheered her up too.

We have just found out that it wasn't the livery and her mum that had went to the yard owner and told them all this lies. It was another livery who is also related to the yard owners. She and the yard owner are very friendly, always in his house for "afternoon tea" :rolleyes: She was one of the spectators in the big barn, so she has clearly twisted things. I had an incline she had something to do with it even though I never speak to her. Her 14 year old daughter has been putting things on Facebook about the whole thing also. I am not going to give them any kind of reaction, but I am so angry.

I See Clover

Visit site
Where are you looking for a yard, maybe someone knows of one. I have just moved under duress and found it took me three weeks [ YO threatened to remove my horse from yard, don't know what they thought they were going to do with it!]

Where are you? My yard in Glasgow has 3 empty boxes just now and its a fantastic small yard.

We are about 10 minutes drive from Stirling. I have made a separate thread about livery nearby! Glasgow is a little too far for us - we are going to see a couple of yards today a bit closer to home, but it may be an option if we can't get anywhere closer. Thanks for your help!

Goldenstar

Visit site
thats the way I see Clover don't engage with them it's a good lesson for life never reason with a madman.
Hope one of the yards is the one.

ISHmad

Visit site
That sounds like a pit of vipers to me. Sooner you are out of there the better I reckon. Just get the hell out of there and don't look back, you don't need 'people' like this in your lives.

Tinseltoes

Visit site
Wow what horrible people,scum bags grrrrrrrr
I hope you find somewhere VERY soon,your better off out of it. I rent a field to myself and its brilliant.
Maybe you could do this,rent a field to yourself and maybe put a shelter in it,if it doesnt have trees.Worth thinking about.