Giving a horse a new name

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
I realise it's supposed to be bad luck to change a horses name, but is it alright to give it a show name if it only has a stable name?

Would I have to get this changed on their passport and write to the regristry?

marmite

Visit site
Its an old wives tale we changed warlocks name he was called do you know i cant remember what he was called but we changed it anyway even though i still think guiness would of suited him better.

Snowberry

Visit site
Its superstition (I think?)

I've never, ever changed a ponies name thou. Just in case.
blush.gif
I do give them all posh show names though but wouldnt change the names on their passports.
When we first got Glen he has about 6 shownames depending on what mood Hattie was in!! LOL

Snowberry

Visit site
you can actually change a name on a passport so long as you arent giving it a stud prefix.
eg. The new horse we've bought is registered on his passport as being called NIBS - I've had the passport altered to say his stable name LOUIS then NIBS is in brackets next to it. It cost me a fiver to do this!!!!

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
I - Dorey isn't Dorey's name at all!

Her name is Riann, I insist to the powers that be that Dorey is simply a nickname...

I get away with it, I think, cos I called her Dori-ann - a mix off the two
wink.gif

RachelB

Visit site
Giving the horse a different show name is fine I think, my horse (Maiden) was called Third Time Lucky for shows by her last owner, but I have her as My Fair Maiden. I don't know about affiliated though, apart from that I know you can pay British Dressage to change the name registered with them. I *think* you can have a horse registered with a different name to the one on the passport? I hope so or mine will have to be just Maiden again when I BD her!
'Tis possible though I think.

Blackhawk

sublimedesigns.moonfruit.com
He was born Willowmoss Jasper, for racing, but never raced. He has Jasper on his passport and I think he's registered as willowmoss jasper.

Can I just compete him under a different name then, or goes it have to be whats on his passport?

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I don't believe it's bad luck, though our local horse talking lady has had horses tell her they want to be called their own choice!
Ours sometimes get name changes, Tallulah for instance ended up as Tallie and a totally different proper name after it was obvious she wasn't the right sort of personality for such a stroppy name..
I would call it what you like, it will come even if you shout fish and chips if it knows you!

S_N

Visit site
You can add a name for the passport/registration documents - they will charge for it and it may depend on whether Wetherbys' will do this or not.

parsley

Visit site
I'm glad you asked this - I have always wondered whether you are allowed to just give your horse a different name at shows
smile.gif

spooks

Visit site
my horses name on his passport is Hannibal (he is ex army , say no more! ) his last owners renamed him otto as hanibal didnt suit him. we call him otto and gave him a show name. for insurance purposes he is down as otto with hannibal in brackets next to it. our welshie is registered but the kids use there own show name at shows but we only take her local showjumping and not to any breed shows or anything.

4whitesocks

Visit site
I was lucky - when I bought Sid they hadn't given him a name on his passport (just had foal passport & chip no.) - the guy who had him had bought two at the same time and called them mutt and jeff....guess which one Sid was....

so Sid he became pretty quick!
(no bad luck so far *touches wood*)

Puppy

Visit site
I'm sure having surfed the BE and the BSJA sites they have forms (and costs) for changing names... or do they mean owners..... now I'm confused!
confused.gif