Giving Antibiotics in a syringe

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I used to use custard powder with water which the horses like but it's messy, came up with the idea of adding peppermint essence to the powder water mix, omg it's so easy and the horse bloody loved it I don't think I will ever struggle with wormer again, he even calls when he sees me with a mug in my hand lol!

Has anyone tried it?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I bypassed custard powder, just made a batch of custard and kept in fridge. So easy to spoon into a syringe add meds, more custard and stir with skewer.
I keep peppermint essence too, have added to syringe or on occasions to water if needed :)

Edit: in emergency I've picked up a small pot of instant custard from supermarket chiller, does 3 or 4 doses.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I found mixing it with boiling water and honey then just pouring over feed a life saver. My stable still has what looks like white wash splattered everywhere from my last syringe attempt. He had had a mouth operation so that may well have contributed to my struggle! He’s usually pretty good!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I found mixing it with boiling water and honey then just pouring over feed a life saver. My stable still has what looks like white wash splattered everywhere from my last syringe attempt. He had had a mouth operation so that may well have contributed to my struggle! He’s usually pretty good!

Ha ha mine won't touch it in the feed they think it's poison!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I bypassed custard powder, just made a batch of custard and kept in fridge. So easy to spoon into a syringe add meds, more custard and stir with skewer.
I keep peppermint essence too, have added to syringe or on occasions to water if needed :)

Edit: in emergency I've picked up a small pot of instant custard from supermarket chiller, does 3 or 4 doses.

Well you very good and your horses are clearly very spoilt getting home made custard I love it:D

MDB

Visit site
Mine won't take it mixed with anything. I found that the more I tried to dilute the taste by mixing it, the more volume of antibiotic mix I had to syringe and they still hated it, and it was even more messy. So now I just mix with as little water as needed in order to make it syringe-able, and squirt it in, get it over and done with as quickly as possible, with little mess, then shove an apple or carrot in their mouth to take their mind off it, lol.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Well no neither have mine ever before. It’s such a huge amount of powder aswell!
It seems to dissolve completely in boiling water though and I wonder if that for some reason made the difference?

I can't put anything in the feed there not used to any new supplements have to very gradually added or they won't touch it.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Mine won't take it mixed with anything. I found that the more I tried to dilute the taste by mixing it, the more volume of antibiotic mix I had to syringe and they still hated it, and it was even more messy. So now I just mix with as little water as needed in order to make it syringe-able, and squirt it in, get it over and done with as quickly as possible, with little mess, then shove an apple or carrot in their mouth to take their mind off it, lol.

Mine won't even take a treat after a wormer, I can do 2 or 3 syringes of the peppermint antibiotics they love it.