giving up horses, what to do with everything

bertin12

Visit site
I've been holding my stable at current yard for a few months while I drcide if I want another & have decided to not get another horse, at least for the foreseeable future.

My question is what do I do with my 'stuff'?! I've still got my retired gelding so will take all buckets & my spare grooming kit to where he is, but the big things like rubber matting? My matting is only a year old and cost me 250. I'm tempted to say my yard owner can buy it off me.

I think I'll just keep my shavings fork etc in my garage at home

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Yes I would say it's worth trying to sell at least the rubber matting second hand. Bits, bridles etc also very saleable.

Greylegs

Visit site
If you're the charitable type, you could give it to the RDA or a rescue charity. They will either use things or sell them on to raise funds. Otherwise, ebay or Gumtree ....?

lula

Visit site
be warned though, moving good quality rubber matting is harder work than moving the horse so i would offer to YO first.

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Ebay or an equine boot sale. I did this when went from one horse to 2 and sold all the things that wouldnt fit my old boy and so wouldnt use. Though to be fair if had more storage would have stored a lot of it to use in the future if got another.

Ponycarrots

Visit site
Sell on eBay/to friends etc and stuff that's not worth a lot (or if you don't need the money) give to equine charities :)

Boxers

Visit site
Try selling on FB sites or an equine boot sale before you try ebay. I have worked out that roughly 25% goes on ebay fees, paypal and postage.

mightymammoth

Visit site
advert in tack shop or feed stores or facebook groups. Preloved is good, ebay take too much and by the time you've paid paypal fees and postage it's hardly worth it.

flaxen

Visit site
If you have any old numnah, girths, bridles, bits, headcollars please considerdonating them to The Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust for the hard working animals in gambia. This charity is supported by Professor Derek Knottenbelt ( aka professor sarcoid ) and his Vets with Horse Power team who go round europe on huge motorbikes giving free lectures to raise money for this charity. They are doing a Uk tour this year giving lectures to vets amd horse owners. Its a very worth while cause and they are hugely grateful for any donations recieved. NFU are able to accept items and will pass them on. Both Vets with Horse Power and The Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust have facebook pages.