Giving yard notice concerned

Mary3050

Visit site
Hi guys ,
I am moving yards soon I haven’t told anyone I am leaving . I am concerned at yard owners reaction to me leaving. They are very attached to one horse in particular. I don’t think they are trust worthy or that bothered about there business to allow it happen smoothly . One of my horse has EMS so can’t have loads of sugar and needs meds. They previously changed my horses feed behind my back to a high sugar feed which made him ill again. Then they moved the horses with out my knowledge whilst I was away . So it makes me think they may try to move the one they are very attached too. I know it’s a small risk but from what I have seen they don’t seem right or to care about anyone else . This is just the top of the issues. A friend who’s been in the industry for a long time said from what she knows of her she would box up and leave pay the notice and not stay .

My first problem is I pay weekly but I will be moving mid was through the week . I pay for the coming week if that makes sense . I dunno if I should just pay a another week on top. I have no contract so can leave when ever and have never discussed notice in the first place . So Do you think paying a week extra is enough .

Then my next issue is I am concerned about the horses and something being done to harm them on purpose . The yard owner is very nasty to me as it is. I don’t know if I should just send a message the day before I leave and then go the next morning. Whilst making sure I am about to keep and eye on my horses. I feel sneaky as I have always stayed my notice before . But I seriously don’t know if they would do something to my horse with the issues which is not a concern I have had before .

Advice greatly appreciated

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Yep just leave and once you are safely off, let the YO know you have gone but will pay the week's notice as a courtesy to her.
Try to sort as much out as possible beforehand so on the final day you are to load and go in a short space of time.
Some YOs are truly bonkers and so if you are really genuinly worried she may cause trouble, try and time it for when she is offsite if you can. Or just move the horse and then get a friend to pick up everything esle after your horse is safe.

Good luck.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Depending on the geography of your yard and whose transport you are using, I might even load the horses up away from the yard. I would take as much of your stuff as possible home before the day you move the horses, without making it obvious, take your tack home 'to clean'. Even if you are using your own transport, have someone else there to support you as you leave the yard and pay the YO a week's notice as your absolutely final act. Good luck!

Mary3050

Visit site
Yep just leave and once you are safely off, let the YO know you have gone but will pay the week's notice as a courtesy to her.
Try to sort as much out as possible beforehand so on the final day you are to load and go in a short space of time.
Some YOs are truly bonkers and so if you are really genuinly worried she may cause trouble, try and time it for when she is offsite if you can. Or just move the horse and then get a friend to pick up everything esle after your horse is safe.

Good luck.

Thanks this is part of the reason I am leaving mid way as I know she won’t be about then . I will do so as I am learning some are really crazy . Think I have found one in the bonkers category!

Mary3050

Visit site
Depending on the geography of your yard and whose transport you are using, I might even load the horses up away from the yard. I would take as much of your stuff as possible home before the day you move the horses, without making it obvious, take your tack home 'to clean'. Even if you are using your own transport, have someone else there to support you as you leave the yard and pay the YO a week's notice as your absolutely final act. Good luck!

Thanks I am planning to have the family about . To help may see if My friends free incase naughty one doesn’t load ?

Kitty B

Visit site
They also have zero right to move your horse anywhere without your consent, or to change feed. That would have been the final straw for me. I've given my YO leave to do anything she sees fit if it is necessary to their welfare while I am off the yard... even so, she still messages me to ask or let me know, but then she's not an overbearing witch and is incredibly trustworthy! Just because you rather like someone's horse and own the yard doesn't give her the right to interfere like she has. :mad:

Absolutely pay for the notice week, but I would personally be gone as soon as possible, and with as many people there to help out as you can manage given whatever the rules should be at the time. Hopefully, it will go smoothly and you have them gone before the bonkers YO even realises what is going on. Best of luck, and I hope you and your horses are much happier in their new place!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Just pay until the end of the week then just turn up on the day you want to leave load your horses and go, no need to give them any notice if you are concerned about any trouble.

There is actually a need to give notice. You pay weekly, therefore, even if you don't have anything in writing, you have a contract which dictates that you should give one week's notice. If you had opted to move your horse on the day the YO had fed your horse unsuitable feed, you could have claimed that she had broken the contract and so you did not need to give notice. However because you still kept your horse there - and I understand why - the contract still stands.

Lady2021

Visit site
There is actually a need to give notice. You pay weekly, therefore, even if you don't have anything in writing, you have a contract which dictates that you should give one week's notice. If you had opted to move your horse on the day the YO had fed your horse unsuitable feed, you could have claimed that she had broken the contract and so you did not need to give notice. However because you still kept your horse there - and I understand why - the contract still stands.
Once you pay it you can leave on that day . I wouldn’t care honestly if someone done that my horse I won’t care about a contract. If they move the horse before who is to say they wouldn’t move the horse where op can’t get them.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
For the sake of a few quid, I'd just pay! Saves aggro in future. If you pay Sunday - Sunday a week in advance, and you leave on a Tuesday you will already be paid up to the following Sunday. So it's only 2 more days to pay to the Tuesday and means you are fully paid up and she can't really complain. She will anyway but at least you know you gave her a week's notice.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Yup. Pay as normal. Keep leaving prep low-key (good time of year to be taking things home for a spring clean and sort). Announce that you're leaving as late in the packing up process as possible and do not leave horses unattended from that moment. Hand over an envelope with notice period money. I've done notice period and a half before to avoid any quibble at all. Then get out of there.

paddy555

Visit site
Hand over an envelope with notice period money.
I would do this very formally. One comeback could be her taking action for the money. If you enclose a cheque she could say it needs to be cleared before your horses can be released. If you pay cash she could deny having it and there is no trail for it.

I personally would draw up a formal letter, everyone's names, addresses, horses names etc. Date you are leaving, details of the notice period and dates and amount due under your weekly contract. With a copy for yourself in case of any comeback. If you normally pay by bank transfer I would do it before leaving home and include a para that the money was transferred to her bank to cover the notice today.
If you really have to pay cash give it directly to her, count it out and I would get her to sign for it (on your copy of the letter) and your family/friend to witness it.
If she is not there I would take steps to make sure she gets the letter, not just leave it in the tack room or pin it on the door. If necessary get the horses out and then go back with someone in the evening or whenever she is going to be there.

I think you are very wise to just take the horses and leave however I would make sure that all i's were dotted and t's crossed as I would expect some comeback. If it is was possible I would take some dated pics of your horse's stable showing it to be in good condition and anything else your horses could have damaged. Don't give any inkling you are leaving even an hour before. Just turn up, headcollars on and walk the horses out, saddles and rugs on if you are going to have difficulty getting your stuff. Make sure the transporter is not likely to tell her where they are going.
Work on the basis she will take court action for something and have everything in place for if that happens then she will basically have no comeback. Make sure your new YO knows what has happened once the horses have moved in (not before) and understands no one goes near them but you.
I guess you own these horses personally so if you have a reciept for them make sure you know where it is just in case she challenges ownership. What about the passports? who has them.
Cover every eventuality if she is that nasty and it will all go perfectly. :D:D

Last edited:

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Are you using your own transport,? And will all horses fit on in 1 journey?
I too would use this lovely weather tomorrow to take all your winter rugs for cleaning.... box could need a once over as shows are starting soon and that off side tyre needs changing... then load ponies. Leave. Go back on the afternoon and give your notice and collect any last bits.
Drama over and do not tell her where you are going and if you have a transporter booked give him the final destination once you are en route.
What about farrier and vet, are they likely to drop you in it ? Vets usually dont but farriers can do this without thinking.
I also agree photo everything, stables and turnnout gate.
Also make sure your horse box starts and is not blocked in. Again use the taking it for a run in prep of mot, service, tyre change cooks starting etc.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Once you pay it you can leave on that day . I wouldn’t care honestly if someone done that my horse I won’t care about a contract. If they move the horse before who is to say they wouldn’t move the horse where op can’t get them.

Yes of course you can leave but you still have to pay the notice amount. My point was that OP had accepted that YO had 'mistreated' her horse and yet still left the horse on the yard, so could not legally claim that the YO had voided the contract. If you are in situ for part of a week, the notice period starts at the end of that week.

Winters100

Visit site
Start today taking you things home little by little, if possible most valuable items first. If she asks tell her that you are having a spring clean and taking everything for laundry / washing. On the last day go with a friend, put the last items in their car, and just load the horses. Pay for the notice period, and confirm in writing.

Horrid situation, but with the right planning you will be fine. Good luck.

Visit site

Millie-Rose

Visit site
Just from a yard owners perspective I had one (the only one in 7 years that has left and not stayed friendly/in touch) do what you are all suggesting and move all her stuff out and it was very very obvious what she was doing. I wasn't bothered in fact was relieved as she was a pain and in the end she did stay her month's notice and left on good terms. But if this YO is crazy or likely to harm horses moving too much stuff may tip her off in advance just be subtle about it.

Apizz2019

Visit site
Wow, they have no right to change feed, move you horse etc. Its staggering what done yards think they can and can't do! And sadly, it's often to the detriment of the horse and owner.

If I were you, I'd remove as much of my stuff as possible, over the course of a few days and little by little so as not to be noticed. Then I'd remove my horses, advise the yard owner I'd moved and pay the notice period and any other monies owing.

Make sure you have this documented, email, messaged, text etc.

Good luck! x

Sossigpoker

Visit site
On the back of what's been going on at Newton Stud- if you suspect that your horse isn't being adequately cared for or even think he/she might be harmed at livery , it is your duty to move the horse ASAP! Sort our any notice payments once your horse is safe.