Giving yard notice concerned

gingergreg

Visit site
Load up then speak to YO and pay notice. I had a dreadful experience once and was padlocked onto the yard with my horse, no way of escape and a pyscho YO screaming in my face. Long story but he's well known for it (I only found out afterwards!), really shook me up

be positive

Visit site
There is no contract in place . I asked for one yard owner said she doesn’t like doing them .

There is a contract arranged between you because you pay weekly for the provision of livery, whether the YO would try to claim anything from you is another matter it would probably cost far more to prove you owed anything than it would be worth, I would load up and pay the final week as I left, ideally by transfer or cheque with a simple 'in full and final payment' note, if accepted you can move on and put it behind you, I don't think many YO's would send further bills or follow it up as there really is nothing to be gained.

Mary3050

Visit site
The only thing that you cant replace is the horses. Tack could be sn expensive faff but everything else can be sorted albeit at a cost.
Your horses cannot be replaced.

1000% the tack that’s up there isn’t worth a lot anyway . The horse are my main priority

Mary3050

Visit site
There is a contract arranged between you because you pay weekly for the provision of livery, whether the YO would try to claim anything from you is another matter it would probably cost far more to prove you owed anything than it would be worth, I would load up and pay the final week as I left, ideally by transfer or cheque with a simple 'in full and final payment' note, if accepted you can move on and put it behind you, I don't think many YO's would send further bills or follow it up as there really is nothing to be gained.

Thanks I pay direct debit anyway . She can try to claim but a family friend is lawyer and said he will be sending a counter claim for tack loss/ damage but also vets fees when she decided to feed a horse with EMS a feed she knew he should have . We have texts from when she was caught out

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
There is no contract in place . I asked for one yard owner said she doesn’t like doing them .

There is no written contract in place however there was assumed to be a verbal contract as soon as you moved your horse there and payments were accepted.

Luckily for you as you pay weekly, your notice period would be assumed to be a week so you only need to pay a week from when you say you are leaving.

Mary3050

Visit site
Are you using your own transport,? And will all horses fit on in 1 journey?
I too would use this lovely weather tomorrow to take all your winter rugs for cleaning.... box could need a once over as shows are starting soon and that off side tyre needs changing... then load ponies. Leave. Go back on the afternoon and give your notice and collect any last bits.
Drama over and do not tell her where you are going and if you have a transporter booked give him the final destination once you are en route.
What about farrier and vet, are they likely to drop you in it ? Vets usually dont but farriers can do this without thinking.
I also agree photo everything, stables and turnnout gate.
Also make sure your horse box starts and is not blocked in. Again use the taking it for a run in prep of mot, service, tyre change cooks starting etc.

Yes I will be my only issue is ones going to be with a friend until the other stable is up for him at the new yard. So I am going to have to drop him off there before hand its not far after that with the other one hopefully it’s not going to cause any major issues . I will start the lorry day before as we do weekly any way . Hopefully the young one loads no issue

Mary3050

Visit site
There is no written contract in place however there was assumed to be a verbal contract as soon as you moved your horse there and payments were accepted.

Luckily for you as you pay weekly, your notice period would be assumed to be a week so you only need to pay a week from when you say you are leaving.

Technically my horses got moved with out my permission but I get what you mean . I will be paying an additional week . Thanks

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Technically my horses got moved with out my permission but I get what you mean . I will be paying an additional week . Thanks

Without a contract difficult to say if they can't move them. Many yards I have been on have a clause in the contract or yard rules that they can move the horse to a different stable or that fields are allocated at yard managers discretion. The YO could say they had to move your horse for safety because there was issue with where they were. Even giving your horse the wrong feed wouldn't be straightforward from a legal point of view needing vets reports etc

Best to do what you are doing and just get out as quickly and with a little confrontation as you can. Good luck with the move.

Reacher

Visit site
Agree with paying the notice on the day you move and make sure you have evidence of having paid.
Be very careful if you start moving stuff in advance that you don’t tip her off.

Many years ago (25 +) I had a YO threaten to spirit away my horse when I advised in advance I was leaving, so I would give no advance warning.

(So we involved the police who weren’t much help and said perhaps a livery arrangement was paying someone to look after your horse but didn’t give you access to the horse!! .... anyway we got the horse out )
Good luck and hopefully you won’t have any problems but best be prepared. Oh and take someone imposing with you!

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Agree with paying the notice on the day you move and make sure you have evidence of having paid.
Be very careful if you start moving stuff in advance that you don’t tip her off.

Many years ago (25 +) I had a YO threaten to spirit away my horse when I advised in advance I was leaving, so I would give no advance warning.

(So we involved the police who weren’t much help and said perhaps a livery arrangement was paying someone to look after your horse but didn’t give you access to the horse!! .... anyway we got the horse out )
Good luck and hopefully you won’t have any problems but best be prepared
Wow teacher that must have been awful. Hope it ended without too much angst x

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi guys ,
I am moving yards soon I haven’t told anyone I am leaving . I am concerned at yard owners reaction to me leaving. They are very attached to one horse in particular. I don’t think they are trust worthy or that bothered about there business to allow it happen smoothly . One of my horse has EMS so can’t have loads of sugar and needs meds. They previously changed my horses feed behind my back to a high sugar feed which made him ill again. Then they moved the horses with out my knowledge whilst I was away . So it makes me think they may try to move the one they are very attached too. I know it’s a small risk but from what I have seen they don’t seem right or to care about anyone else . This is just the top of the issues. A friend who’s been in the industry for a long time said from what she knows of her she would box up and leave pay the notice and not stay .

My first problem is I pay weekly but I will be moving mid was through the week . I pay for the coming week if that makes sense . I dunno if I should just pay a another week on top. I have no contract so can leave when ever and have never discussed notice in the first place . So Do you think paying a week extra is enough .

Then my next issue is I am concerned about the horses and something being done to harm them on purpose . The yard owner is very nasty to me as it is. I don’t know if I should just send a message the day before I leave and then go the next morning. Whilst making sure I am about to keep and eye on my horses. I feel sneaky as I have always stayed my notice before . But I seriously don’t know if they would do something to my horse with the issues which is not a concern I have had before .

Advice greatly appreciated
I have done a flit before, I started to clear things home so there was not as much to clear out, be care so not obvious maybe do it in the evening and if seen just say taking home to wash . AS others say, you have no contract so nothing binds you.
Pay your notice and leave.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I have done a flit before, I started to clear things home so there was not as much to clear out, be care so not obvious maybe do it in the evening and if seen just say taking home to wash . AS others say, you have no contract so nothing binds you.
Pay your notice and leave.

But you paid your notice though.

Annagain

Visit site
Yes I will be my only issue is ones going to be with a friend until the other stable is up for him at the new yard. So I am going to have to drop him off there before hand its not far after that with the other one hopefully it’s not going to cause any major issues . I will start the lorry day before as we do weekly any way . Hopefully the young one loads no issue

Could you tell the YO that you are lending the one horse to your friend for a few days as one of her horses is going to the vet and the other can't stay alone? That way it gives you time to get back for the other one without her being suspicious and you'll have a reason to move rugs etc.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Pack up your tack and bag your rugs, take rack home to clean the night before you leave. Take cash when horses are being loaded pay YO leaving your phone recording in you pocket proving you have paid. Take your horses and go. I walked off a yard with no contract. YM just went to far and I left. Paid YO my livery to the day and gave him some beers. She didn’t even have the guts to come out of the house but could scream down a phone. Sent her minions out.

Pedantic

Visit site
When I have decided to move, I just go asap and pay whatever notice was agreed when I started there, I don't care about the money, in your case just go, then pay for a week, they get a free week of doing nothing of anything, they can like it or lump it, you have clear conscience and reputation.
So many ar******s in the horsey world.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
When I have decided to move, I just go asap and pay whatever notice was agreed when I started there, I don't care about the money, in your case just go, then pay for a week, they get a free week of doing nothing of anything, they can like it or lump it, you have clear conscience and reputation.
So many ar******s in the horsey world.

I think it depends if I’m leaving through change of circumstances or requirements or due to complete loss of confidence in yards’ standard of care.

I’ve moved with notice given and stayed many times. I’ve also moved back to yards before.

But sometimes after it’s best to leave and pay notice in absence.