Glad I didn't move to the yard I now ride at when I had Nile

metalmare

Visit site
I am exercising someones horse at the mo and the yard he is at is one that I was looking at moving Nile to once but thank god they didn't have room!

The other day I sorted pony his hayledge but when I broke open the new bale it had clearly gone bad. I made a net up anyway and left a note for the owner saying she should look at the hay and see what she thinks (nothing else I could do). When I went down later that week I said to someone 'oh, I see everyone is using that hayledge then' - apparently the YO refused to put fresh out until the bad stuff was used up (and these are ton bales!) Then I see a notice up saying that

'some people seem to think that acorns might be bad for horses digestion, but we have had horses in that field for 5 years without any problems.' And an experienced horse owner agreed that it wasn't worth doing anything about. But it only takes one horse to be susceptible doesn't it and that horses owner is going to get any consolation from the fact that other horses have been okay for 5 years!

metalmare

Visit site
Good thanks. Bloody exhausted with uni but really enjoying it - and learning lots I hope! 1st marked assignment is in next week for maths. How are you?

I was pretty disgusted! There are 40 horses at that yard - I'm sure if a few of the owners had put their voices together they could have gotten the tightfisted git to do something about both the hay and acorns! But obviously they would rather risk their horse's health.

metalmare

Visit site
It's a bloke and I don't think he has horses himself. I wouldn't expect him to know about acorns but I would expect him to act on people's requests and I was really shocked at the 'experienced' horse keeper who makes a big fuss over how well her horses are managed!! But then she buys in her own hay so that one wasn't a prob for her and at least one of her horses is I think in an acorn free field!

Boysy

Visit site
Having lost a horse myself to acorn poisoning, I would advocate that someone photocopies an article from something as simple as a Threshold picture guide on Field Management, and posts it in the tack room.......when will people sit up and take note of the varying poisonous plants to horses?

metalmare

Visit site
Well I'm glad you are all with me on this because when this person thought it wasn't an issue who has probably been keeping horses longer than I have been alive I thought I was going mad!!!

metalmare

Visit site
Well I've gotta admit I'm looking forward to finishing! But it's keeping me busy alright! Just so damn expensive.

Really? What's his breeding? Is he a Furzey Lodge then?

Clodagh

Visit site
Oooh...my friend next door has got a Furzey Lodge, I'm sure, will check tomorrow, I work with her. Hers is only 12hh but awesome!

metalmare

Visit site
He's not an actual relative then but from the same stud as the Furzey Lodge sires were all of different lineage (which is confusing). They're all quality though! Benjamin is well known - I have seen a lot of his youngsters on the NF website.

Farm Kat

Visit site
hmm I agree Benjamin is lovely, but we have 2 Zennica's now, and they have just the most adorable, workable tempraments, even if both can be a little vocal sometimes.

But it is nice to hear Nile is settling in at his new home.