Glad i listened to my horse....

barkinghorse

Visit site
So glad i listened to my horse and not the yard know-it-alls when suddenly he wouldn't stand to let me on.
I booked the back women to come and see him despite all the comments of "he's just being awkward coz you're asking him to work" and "all horses go through this faze, he's a bit of a bugger anyway"
Bless him, his backs out on the left side, she manipulated his muscles and he sighed, grunted and groaned, then stretched out as if to say "wow thats such a relief!
Saddle man is coming next week to re flock his saddle and we should be back in business.
A bit self indulgent i know, but i feel good that i was right and they were wrong lol
Jo xx

_jetset_

Visit site
Horses always try to tell us when they are in pain... but some riders read the signs as the horse being awkward. Well done for following your instincts, sometimes it is hard to make a sensible decision when all those around you are disagreeing and finding other reasons.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Whilst I agree that a horse finds a massage enjoyable (well who doesn't), I am still a total sceptic that a human can manipulate muscles to 'fix problems'

I mean if a relatively small human can push the horses muscles around, we are all totally sc*wed when, as when we are riding them we apply much more pressure.

Also REALLY bugs me when someone says their back person realligned the horses pelvis.... utter tosh. If bones moved like that, horses would fall apart.

Not putting a dampner on your post, but feeling that there are a lot of people being ripped off out there!

IMHO the saddle and your position is much more important than any treatment.

beaconhorse

Visit site
Good for you!! no one knows you horse like you do. Alway listen to 'you' before anyone else when it comes to things like this

barkinghorse

Visit site
I understand your sceptisim, But i do believe that it is not down to strength or impact pressure, but manipulation of the muscles and nerves.
There is such a thing as "standing waves" in the nervous system which stop signals being properly comunicated down nerves.
When this happens the nerve and muscles spasm, thus causing pain.
All the physio does find the point of discomfort, and "massage" or "Manipulate" the affected area to bring relief. This may take more than one session, depending on the severity of the spasm, but having seen horses go from dipping badly when touched on their backs to having no reaction at all a week later, {and on many occasions) I'm happy to pay my money.
On the manipulation of bones, i agree with you entirely, i don't believe anything other than surgery can rectify a bone problem.

Saddle and position are very important, but you have to have a healthy back to start with.
Jo xx

PoppyPony

Visit site
I have a very good book by a famous american NH person called 'Horses don't lie' this post brought it to mind
smile.gif