Glandular fever and returning to riding - WWYD?

Beatrice5

Visit site
I have had the misfortune of getting Glandular fever for the first time aged nearly 40. I have spent nearly 2 months off and had a week in hospital and am now on the road to recovery just a bit slower than I would like.

I am now back to looking after my horses solo and hacking out a few times a week. BUT when I sit in the saddle my thigh muscle trembles (as if you were holding up a weight for too long you know how the muscle starts to shake as it looses power) - hope that makes sense.

I did not realise how much we use our legs just to sit on and balance but then having been sat on horses all my life it is second nature I suppose.

So do I just get on with it and ignore it and stick to riding the sane one or do I need to rest as much as I loathe resting and the strength will return by itself? I had just started my youngster this spring and am desperate to get back on her but fear my jelly legs may not be up to the job if she decided to be a wally :(

I know everyone is different but I cant be the only horse owner to get Glandular fever at this age ? Advice and guidance appreciated.

wills_91

Visit site
I have suffered glandular fever for the past 9 years... and have had a bad bout of it recently - ending up in hospital with complications with it leading to sepsis. My advice - rest more. It can take months and months to recover from it. My last really bad bout it was honestly about 6/7 months before I felt normal
Do to much to soon and you can end up relapsing. Will be worth it in the long run to be patient.

Tnavas

Visit site
It took me a couple of years to get over GF, got so desperately tired at times.

Keep up with your riding but make your rides short so that you don't exhaust yourself. Muscles will only come back to life if used so do keep up with working them.

Plenty of rest as well while you recover.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I had it Nearly 3 years ago and I was only 21 but it completely knocked me off my feet for a good 6months. I was off work 2months then went back just doing alternate half days for another 2months and have never been full time since as I just can't hack it.
Even now I am so much more sleepy than ever before and I am mug deeper sleeper needing 8hours min at night. I didn't ride for a good 4months and then came back very slowly. I would carry on gentle hacking on the sane one as you do have to work a bit to rebuild strength but do rest as well. Even now if I get a sore throat it knocks me off and my glands go large- currently off sick with sore throat and cold which I think prior to glandular fever wouldn't have been this bad!!

Beatrice5

Visit site
Thank you for your replies - I am just such an active person that I push myself too hard because I want to do more before my body is capable.

I am worried I may have to let my youngster go as I do not know when I will be strong enough to bring her on - at the moment she gets led off my sane horse once or twice a week but my arms are weak and if she decided to she could get away from me. I also know she is ready and keen to do more work.

I will keep going with the riding and try to rest where possible but with four school aged boys, 3 horses and two crazy spaniels there is a lot of things who require quite a lot of energy input ;) The poor OH was shocked when he had to take over the reins when I was taken into hospital and it took 3 people to manage my workload lol - but then he is a man and they always make much or such things :D

Annagain

Visit site
Why not try to find a sharer for your youngster? That way you could carry on gentle riding on your reliable horse and get some support in looking after the horses too? Oh and make your 4 boys walk the spaniels!

I had glandular fever about 9 years ago. Luckily it was a farily mild case compared to some. I was off work for a month and focered myself to got back as I couldn't take any more Murder She Wrote. It was a bit early really and I used to sneak off to the 1st aid room for a sleep at lunchtime to get me through the day! Other than bouts of extreme tiredness for a year or two afterwards hasn't affected me too much since. Your life sounds hard enough without Glandular Fever! Hope you make a full recovery soon.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
has your dr given you the all clear to ride? a friends daughter who had GF was not allowed to ride until Dr gave her the say so because of the risk of enlarged spleen and rupture if she fell.

Beatrice5

Visit site
Yes my last ultra sound was all normal :) hence I was told I could ride again.

Just need my core strength back now - I feel like I am about 90 - it is ridiculous! I have never been ill in my life bar breaking my leg so this has been rather a shock to me and an education.

Beatrice5

Visit site
The local pilates class is nearly £8 a session - thats a bag of speedi beet in my world ;) but it does sound a good idea - I will see if I can find a you tube video to watch.

showaddy1

Visit site
My 14yr old had glandular fever 15 months ago... She missed 70% of a school year, and was desperately unwell. She was then diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, she could sleep for days... At her worst she slept for two weeks.
Im super pleased to say that she seems to be on the road to recovery, and that the 'CFS' is hopefully post viral fatigue... Which can take up to 2 years to disappear.
I am medically trained, but never would have believed how debilitating glandular fever can be unless seen with my own eyes.
Recovery is slow, don't push yourself as you will suffer the next day. I did put her on a supplement called pharmatron (google it), which certainly helped, and in my opinion was the turning point in her illness.
Feel free to pm me, If there is one thing I know about is the effects of glandular fever!!
Bec x

RacheeRooRoo

Visit site
I had glandular fever about 13years ago now, developed into chronic fatigue syndrome :( still suffer and have to rely on my husband a lot. I have two horses but I loan one out as I also have a newborn baby. A lot when your not 100% yourself!!

Beatrice5

Visit site
Looks like I am expecting too much too soon as I have only been out of hospital 6 weeks . What is so frustrating is I have good days and rubbish flat days but never know what is coming next . Every bug seems to get me and I am getting OCD about hygiene and hand washing etc .

Not sure about finding a sharer for the 4 yr old as she is an unknown quantity under saddle and we are rural so most people who want a horse have one already or want a reliable hunter . Will keep my ears open though and until I am up to it I shall lead her off her mum .