Glandular swelling around the head

evsj

Visit site
My mare seems to be getting frequent swelling around the glands on her head area (jaw/cheek area at the junction of the throat and below the eyes) - sorry, I haven't got any diagrams so I can't give the veterinary name!

My last instructor said it was a type of allergy from pollen in grass but as there is not alot of grass in her field I was wondering if it could come from hay instead? Is there any way I can reduce the swelling - it looks uncomfortable and will probably make it difficult for her to flex at the poll.
frown.gif

evsj

Visit site
Well, my mare has had this sympton on and off for the last few years - more often in the summer There are no other symptons and she is as bright and healthy otherwise. The swelling also goes down overnight which probably discounts infection.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Amy used to get these with the spring grass. Basically it's an excess of saliva in the paritoid glands. I suppose it could be produced by hay.

If she doesn't seem ill, then probably nothing to worry about. But may be worth a look by your vet if it continues.

squirtlysmum

Visit site
Agree with AmyMay, my boy has them too and nothing to worry about. Due to all the mild weather all plants and creatures are a tad confused and think it's spring already.

Halfstep

Visit site
A warmblood youngster on my yard gets these to the extreme. He looks like a hampster and the first time I saw it I freaked. Goes down overnight and no ill effects. But - if you are concerned and if they persist when the horse is off the grass - get the vet.

evsj

Visit site
Thanks - it's just that the swellings seem to have re-emerged in the last couple of weeks. some nights when i get to the yard (yard brings her in and gives her hay at 5pm) the swelling is quite hamster-like, other nights there is no swelling at all. That's why I wondered if it could be the hay.

Instructor told me not to worry about it too much unless any other symptons show up but so far, nothing. Have to say, it's only since we moved to yards in Kent 2/3 years ago that she ever got this. Maybe she's allergic to Kent!?

franki

Visit site
My horse suffers from this all year round and we've discovered, after 3 years of tests, that it's to do with the level of sugar in grass - known as fructans. This seems to trigger an excess of saliva making the glands swell. Fructan is most active in grass in a number of situations - quick growth - Spring grass/Autumn grass, frosty paddocks in sharp sunlight, warm sunny days after rain, stressed grass/very short grass. His glands will also swell if there is an excess of saliva which may not have anything to do with grass, he has a nut ball in his stable and if he gets this before eating hay the glands produce too much saliva and they will swell. Once he starts to eat his night time hay his glands will reduce.

Hope this helps

jcberry

Visit site
our hrse has got swelling around that area at the moment, comes with the spring grass. YO said it could be due to buttercups as he is in a buttercup field, maybe cheack for buttercups? xx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
said it could be due to buttercups as he is in a buttercup field,

[/ QUOTE ]
Get rid of them - they are poisness to horses.

dozzie

Visit site
My mare had this for a long time. The vet suggested it might be caused by a growth or mass so it might be worth getting it checked if shes a youngster. My mare was very old and the swelling never bothered her.