Glandular Ulcers - Turning Away

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Hello,
Just wondering if anybody has any experience specifically of Glandular Ulcers not Squamous Ulcers as the 2 have been recognized by what little research has been done to be a totally different entity.
Also if anybody has tried following treatment & ruling out other factors, turning them away for long period of time then rescoping.
There is so much conflicting advise about products, treatment, factors, etc, even vets are giving conflicting advice as there is still so much unknown about the disease.

Thanks.

madamebonnie

Visit site
I don't really have an awful lot of advice but just a lot of sympathy in a similar situation.

Mine had done 6 weeks of GG+sulcralfate to clear up squamous ulcers, then tried misoprostal but he reacted really badly. So moved on the omeprazol injections + sulcralfate for 4 weeks. I did not have the time to take him back for a rescope at this point so continued with treatment for another 2 weeks. He is now due his final scope but having to wait a week as my vets scope broke! To me this is a good test to see if he can cope off the medication as quite frankly we have now run out of money regardless of scope results. Turning away would not suit my horse as he can suffer from a locking stifle and need to be in a reasonable level of work. I have already seen his physical strength deteriorate being on easy work.

It is SO hard to know what to do when the research is still in its infant stages. I am a biologist myself and have read all the recent papers. If turning away was an option for mine I would try it. But I've got all my fingers crossed this has worked otherwise we have run out of options. x

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I don't really have an awful lot of advice but just a lot of sympathy in a similar situation.

Mine had done 6 weeks of GG+sulcralfate to clear up squamous ulcers, then tried misoprostal but he reacted really badly. So moved on the omeprazol injections + sulcralfate for 4 weeks. I did not have the time to take him back for a rescope at this point so continued with treatment for another 2 weeks. He is now due his final scope but having to wait a week as my vets scope broke! To me this is a good test to see if he can cope off the medication as quite frankly we have now run out of money regardless of scope results. Turning away would not suit my horse as he can suffer from a locking stifle and need to be in a reasonable level of work. I have already seen his physical strength deteriorate being on easy work.

It is SO hard to know what to do when the research is still in its infant stages. I am a biologist myself and have read all the recent papers. If turning away was an option for mine I would try it. But I've got all my fingers crossed this has worked otherwise we have run out of options. x

Ahh thanku for that, it seems that squamous are the easier of the 2 types to treat, we had 4 scopes & 2 rounds of treatment & they have come back but we haven't rescoped he just has such a violent reaction we know theyre back, but hes only 8 & we want to give him a chance as nobody really knows from what Ive read its all trial & error. Good luck with your horse its a real hard situation isn't it, ours becomes unrideable with them so we don't have anywhere else to go at the moment.