Glove recommendations... Can't find what I want!

wench

Visit site
Help please, I just can't seem to find what I want!

I need some new gloves, as all mine have fallen apart, but can't find anything suitable.

I love the "plasticky" ones, but find they wear through pretty quickly, and can cost £10+.

I don't like the gloves with the amara suade, as I tend to find they wear through exceptionally quickly too, and get soaked through when it rains.

Ideally looking for a pair suitable for jumping/hacking (already have a posh pair for dressage)

Looked at the roekl, macwet, ssg etc and can't find anything inspiring

Twiglet

Visit site
I like the Ariat Tek Grips - not sure if they're too suedey for what you want though. I rate mine, most comfortable I've had.

wench

Visit site
Yes a little to suade for me. I knew I should have stocked up on the aldi £5 riding gloves last time they were in.

I will be doing next time they have them on offer!

smja

Visit site
I once forgot my gloves at a comp, and only pair in the shop that fitted were Mark Todd ones. I've since bought another pair, as I really like them!

wench

Visit site
It's the Mark Todd plasticky ones I really like. Trouble is they dont last that long, and I begrudge paying £15-£20 on a pair of gloves that will last a couple of months, when you could pay £3 and get some of those cotton pimple jobs that will last the same length of time.

Come up with the following so far:
http://www.bionic-glove.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_11&products_id=13 (these seem to have got good reviews, not sure how grippy they would be)

http://www.woofwear.com/for-riders/gloves-and-accessories/event-glove_black---6.html

http://www.onlineforequine.co.uk/loveson-tf-technics-suregrip-gloves (nice and cheap, but look similar to more expensive models!)

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
It's the Mark Todd plasticky ones I really like. Trouble is they dont last that long, and I begrudge paying £15-£20 on a pair of gloves that will last a couple of months, when you could pay £3 and get some of those cotton pimple jobs that will last the same length of time.

Come up with the following so far:
http://www.bionic-glove.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_11&products_id=13 (these seem to have got good reviews, not sure how grippy they would be)

http://www.woofwear.com/for-riders/gloves-and-accessories/event-glove_black---6.html

http://www.onlineforequine.co.uk/loveson-tf-technics-suregrip-gloves (nice and cheap, but look similar to more expensive models!)

Bionic gloves are brilliant, I love mine don't wear anything else. They do grip well, very comfy and last well, I usually go through gloves on the finger ends really quickly but these last longer than anything else I have tried. The sizing comes up quite small though, I have a ladies XL!

islandspirit

Visit site
I also really rate the bionic gloves, I have arthritis in my hands and these are the only gloves I've tried that allow a secure and pain free hold on the reins.

FireFly29

Visit site
I have MacWets and woof wear gloves.
The woof wear gloves seem to be very hard wearing, they've lasted several years of daily use and are still going strong.
The macwets are good and I really like them, but they don't seem as hard wearing.
My woof wear gloves aren't the ones in your link, mine are older ones with the suede palm and fabric back.

Last edited:

mil1212

Visit site
I have roeckl and woof wear, although my woof ones aren't the same model as the ones you have linked, but mine have lasted 20 years - not bad going!

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I've got the Woof Wear event gloves. Really like them. I don't ride in them all the time - always for competitions and lessons because they do give much better grip and feel than normal gloves. I usually school on the flat in them and sometimes jump with them on, never hack in them. They are too nice (and too expensive!) to wear out on hacks!

Not had them long but so far so good. They're lovely and light, and I find I ride with a lighter contact in them too for some reason, poss because I get a better feel. For hacking I just have cheap Woof Wear pimple type gloves, and use those for jumping at home.

Charmin

Visit site
I have a pair of Roeckl's, had them 3 years now and do everything in them - riding, yard work etc. I've only just gone through the end of the fingers but I think that's because of my nails which are quite long and very strong. They have a plastick-y palm too.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I got some of these at Badminton - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSG-DIGIT...uestrian_Clothing_MJ&var=&hash=item5661811647

SSG Digital gloves (also have a pair of similar SSG eventer gloves)

I find the SSG gloves fit my long fingers better than most brands. The grip on these is great - and believe me I test them as use them for riding out racehorses every morning. Afraid those Mark Todd gloves have won my worst glove ever award since they lasted all of 2 weeks before disintegrating!

khalswitz

Visit site
I have a pair of Rocekls and a pair of SSGs for competing. LOVE the SSGs - I hate gloves in general (have the most callused hands you'll ever see because of it!) but these I don't notice I'm wearing :)

hcm88

Visit site
I have SSG digital ones, very grippy and lasting me so far!

bought some i-Quip ones recently but am keeping them for special as they're expensive! hopefully they will live up to their price tag.

Roeckl i've found are useless, they break after a v short period of time I was so disappointed, I kept trying with Roeckl and re-purchased many of their various types thinking it was just a dodgy one but they all broke within a couple of months.

have a mark todd pair for home and they're fine for casual but don't last very long!

RobinHood

Visit site
I've just got a pair of the woof event gloves and they are by far the best I've ever used.

I completely echo what chestnut cob said above about having a better feel than in other gloves. They're like a second skin and the grip is far better than the roekl grippy xc gloves I used to have.

georgiegirl

Visit site
I'll go against the grain and say I love my cheapy thin cotton pimple palm gloves for summer riding - light, good grip and easy to replace - knowing me if I shelled out for some of the fancy ones id end up losing them within a week :p

frannieuk

Visit site
I got talked into buying a pair of SSGs at Badminton a few years ago - they're the super thin ones and I couldn't believe that £28 worth of glove was going to last much more than a month or so, so the rep said that if they didn't last the year, she'd replace them for free. I actually got 18 months of pretty heavy use out of them, and am only on my second pair now. Really rate them!