Gloves

Tempi

Visit site
Firstly should be in NL, sorry, but I dont really go in there...

So now i'm back in the world of DIY, its 4 degrees here when i'm at the yard at 530am so very chilly (and dark!) already.

I need some decent gloves that will keep my hands warm and withstand a lot of use. Waterproof would be amazing if possible..... I did used to have some sealskinz gloves but they werent actually that warm (and my poor hands were freezing this morning :( )

Any suggestions please people?

Thank you!

KatB

Visit site
I used to have the "old fashioned" woll pimple type sealskinz which were good... but they have the new thermal type which might be worth a go? I'd also recommend getting some silk liners for your gloves, makes a massive difference in warmth without adding too much bulk!!

Last edited:

ecrozier

Visit site
When did you have sealskins? I used to have a pair years ago and didn't rate them overly, but then got given another pair and thought they had been improved a lot - and the waterproof element is a godsend in icy conditions!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'm super finicky about gloves and have never really found an equestrian pair that suit, although I was fond enough of my Sealskiz (and love their socks!). Perhaps try them again as they have changed the design a lot.

I buy gloves from the hardwear store, usually the thin rubber palmed bricklayer gloves but I also have some heavier work gloves for non-riding activities. For really cold days (which you don't get here ;) ) I used liners, although they are too much bulk to ride in. Last year I also got a pair of Neoprene gloves and was very pleased with them for work, but found them too slippery to ride in.

The advantage to the hardwear store gloves is they are cheap enough to have multiple pairs so I keep a few extra in the car for wet days.

Rubber gloves over top also work for damp jobs. The heavy duty ones stand up well and are surprisingly comfortable.

Theoretically Polar Fleece gloves should work, as they are water resistant, but I struggle to get ones that fit well and find ill fitting gloves as irritating as cold hands!

See? Finicky. . .

Last edited:

Tempi

Visit site
I was going to say Selaskinz lol - how about rubber gloves over normal ones? Hope all is well btw :)

Thats a good idea that i'd not even thought of!! All good with me, don't see you on here much anymore! Hope you are well x

I used to have the "old fashioned" woll pimple type sealskinz which were good... but they have the new thermal type which might be worth a go? I'd also recommend getting some silk liners for your gloves, makes a massive difference in warmth without adding too much bulk!!

They are the ones I used to have - I might have a look at their new thermal ones then, thank you. Will have a look at silk liners too - would they work under riding gloves aswell?

When did you have sealskins? I used to have a pair years ago and didn't rate them overly, but then got given another pair and thought they had been improved a lot - and the waterproof element is a godsend in icy conditions!

Years ago (probably about 6 years ago i should think) - so maybe I should try some again then by the sounds of things!

Thank you everyone :)

Tempi

Visit site
I'm super finicky about gloves and have never really found an equestrian pair that suit, although I was fond enough of my Sealskiz (and love their socks!). I buy gloves from the hardwear store, usually the thin rubber palmed bricklayer gloves but I also have some heavier work gloves for non-riding activities. For really cold days (which you don't get here ;) ) I used liners, although they are too much bulk to ride in. Last year I also got a pair of Neoprene gloves and was very pleased with them for work, but found them too slippery to ride in.

The advantage to the hardwear store gloves is they are cheap enough to have multiple pairs so I keep a few extra in the car for wet days.

Theoretically Polar Fleece gloves should work, as they are water resistant, but I struggle to get ones that fit well and find ill fitting gloves as irritating as cold hands!

See? Finicky. . .

I agree, I hate gloves that don't fit properly aswell. I work for a concrete company and we have loads of gloves downstairs the guys use so i could probably get some rubber ones from here actually! Hadn't even thought of that!

Jingleballs

Visit site
I got a pair of Mark Todd pig skin ones for christmas last year that have proven to be very good in cold weather.

Not waterproof as such but mine have never gotten wet through. You can also ride in them.

kerilli

Visit site
the newer sealskinz are excellent, they have a plasticy layer inside between the layers of fabric (i know this because i managed to tear the finger of 1 open, great) and they are truly waterproof. best i've found. size up for winter though definitely.
otherwise, boring i know, but an extra bodywarmer or two, keeping your core really toasty hot means your body doesn't reduce circulation to your extremities. makes a huge difference now i have finally been convinced of it!

dafthoss

Visit site
I'm going to say sealskinz, I had my hand in the water trough picking out all the bits of ice last year and my hands were completly dry.

Tempi

Visit site
the newer sealskinz are excellent, they have a plasticy layer inside between the layers of fabric (i know this because i managed to tear the finger of 1 open, great) and they are truly waterproof. best i've found. size up for winter though definitely.
otherwise, boring i know, but an extra bodywarmer or two, keeping your core really toasty hot means your body doesn't reduce circulation to your extremities. makes a huge difference now i have finally been convinced of it!

I was teaching last night in a body warmer and 2 coats (and jumper etc) - so Ive no hope for when it gets really cold!! Agree bodywarmers are great for keeping you toastie though, love mine.

I'm going to say sealskinz, I had my hand in the water trough picking out all the bits of ice last year and my hands were completly dry.

Think i will definitely invest in some sealskinz then :)

zizz

Visit site
I keep a big box of the blue nitrile/latex gloves in the tackroom. Only use when it really is cold otherwise you get sweaty hands, but they are really good at keeping the warmth in and the wet out! I wear them under normal gloves so i don't look like a smurf though

Tempi

Visit site
I keep a big box of the blue nitrile/latex gloves in the tackroom. Only use when it really is cold otherwise you get sweaty hands, but they are really good at keeping the warmth in and the wet out! I wear them under normal gloves so i don't look like a smurf though

Lol! Thats a really good idea aswell!

I've had some like those before but unfortunately found them too bulky - Im after something more fitted :)

nikkimariet

Visit site
Another vote for sealskinz :)

In the arse end of winter I wear a pair of thermal liners under them. Can't ride in them though, use the winter weight roeckl gloves for that.

Scarlett

Visit site
Which style Sealskinz do folk recommend? I looked at them last winter but couldn't decide and ended up going without but I'm planning to buy in advance this year...!

OH had the grippy woollen ones and loved them....

Last edited:

Polotash

Visit site
I got a pair of Mark Todd pig skin ones for christmas last year that have proven to be very good in cold weather.

Not waterproof as such but mine have never gotten wet through. You can also ride in them.

I was going to recommend these too. Mine lasted a whole winter and are still tatty but ok. Adding silk glove liners underneath I find helps (I get blue fingers at the drop of a hat!).

Tempi

Visit site

They look really good - I was going to ask which to buy as have been looking but couldnt decide!

I was going to recommend these too. Mine lasted a whole winter and are still tatty but ok. Adding silk glove liners underneath I find helps (I get blue fingers at the drop of a hat!).

I have purchased some silk glove liners off eBay - not got any gloves to put them under yet though, lol!