Glucosamine supplement

Piglet

Visit site
I have a horse who has been on box rest for the last 3 weeks. X Rays and Ultrasound came back clear possibly just a strain so now doing gentle in hand walking to build it all up. My question is I bought an expensive supplement recommended by the vet, it seems to be all singing and dancing supplement which if I buy any more I will have to donate a kidney to afford it, is there anything else that people use/recommend for maintaining cartilage/ligament/muscle etc please

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What's actually in the supplement the vet is selling? It's often much cheaper to buy the active ingredients separately in bulk.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am convinced that glucosamine contributed to the loss of my IDx. I think it compromised her immune system. So I would be very wary of feeding it in any form now. It is very sweet and usually made from shellfish shells, so not something that horses would eat naturally. I think herbs/starflower oil would be better.

dottylottie

Visit site
i use the naf or equine america glucosamine, for a pony who had a pretty severe injury to both medial menisci - could be completely coincidental but she’s (touch wood) ahead of schedule in terms of recovery and doing really well.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
As an addition, the last time I looked it up there was precious little evidence that glucosamine does anything in humans or horses. There is some evidence for 4cyte, MSM and GLM, particularly GLM, but only in concentrations much bigger than are in most supplements.