god what an exciting day - new horse!

georgiegirl2

Visit site
My mum took a trip to the local sale ring today and has ended up coming home with a 3yo filly whos been in training! We've been looking for an ex racer youngster for a while but havent found anything that was just right so she had gone along to see a couple we thought might be suitable. Meanwhile I've been at work all day going out my mind to see what she has bought!(although she is experienced so i trusted her implicitly to pick well) and now we have 'unamed bay filly' according to her passport. we have settled her in well in the stable for the night and so far shes been an absolute poppet - tomorrow will be spent shopping for rugs as we are borrowing one at the moment!

Although we have brought on quite a few youngsters in the past this is my first one from training so if anyone has any handy hints that may be applicable then they are much appreciated!

BBs

Visit site
Ooo good luck georgiegirl
smile.gif

What have you called her? whose she by? any pics yet
wink.gif

What are you hoping to do with her?

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
Hi becky, how the hell are you?
YOungster sounds good, do you know her breeding? and who her trainer was?
As you know I've got an x flat racer, well she didn't race but was in training. She's in foal to a hanovarian. . . . I will eventually have an eventer I hope! lol

georgiegirl2

Visit site
No she doesnt have a name yet and its proving very difficult to pick one! Shes full bay with no white (yay no sock washing!) and although she was advertised as 15.3 i've a sneaky feeling shes a bit taller than that! she is by a horse called grey desire and out of a mare called portite sophie and has come from one of our local trainers mel brittain. Mum had a chance to speak to the jockeys and grooms there (incidentally the one who backed her) and they said she had no hang ups shes just 'bloody slow' - although im certain she'll be quick enough for me!

My dream aim is to go for the byeh classes and eventually event her but we'll take it slow and time will tell.

georgiegirl2

Visit site
HI! how are you? hows dunc getting on? shes from mel brittains yard and is a very beautiful leggy lady although most have said she looks more like a chaser rather than a flat horse. Aiming to do byeh but who knows, we'll see how it progresses!

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
I'm fine thanks, still got Dunc. He's hunting fit at the moment, like a coiled spring! He had two days off (well only went on the walker) this week and I knew about it! so I take it she hasn't actually raced yet?
I've read up quite a bit on retraining the x racers, most people think they should have a couple of months off work to give them chance to unwind and relax. When I first got mine I didn't know anything about her didn't even know she'd been in training so I treat her like any other part broken youngster. I only rode her once before putting her in foal but she was really good, ever so brave.

georgiegirl2

Visit site
oh good i was wondering how the big man is getting on. how long is it now until your mare is due?

my mare has only been training and has never raced. They had a job getting her on the lorry poor thing but apart from travelling to the sales shes never been on one. she didnt do anything naughty like rearing or pulling back mum said she looked more like a puppy does when it plants intself when its scared. it also took them about half an hour to get her off so shes had a pretty stressfull day what with all that and york horse sales is a very rowdy noisy place to be.

Struggling for a name if anyone has any suggestions! - she doesnt even have a stable name

BBs

Visit site
Mmm Grey Desire rings bells here!! Im not sure if one of mine had Grey Desire in them.

She sounds perfect for BYEH and very smart too
smile.gif
Ive just bought my first horse with 4 white socks lol so I have plenty of legs to keep clean lol

My horse is aiming for BYEH and PAVO classes next year - although hes 4 (5 next June).

Good luck with her
smile.gif

Vx

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
aw poor thing. Mine didn't have a name either! she's due late july, fingers crossed she'll hold.
Didn't realise york was on today, so is your mare rising four then? I'd be tempted to turn her away until the spring, give her chance to mature. But you'll prob be too excited to do that! Good luck

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
She sounds lovely but her history doesnt ring true to me. If she was an unraced, unamed 2yo then she wouldnt be out of the ordinary. Unamed, unraced 3yos out of flat yards dont happen very often - I would have expected her to at least have been named. Most are named when they get about half fit towards a race - it would signify to me that she has never got that far.
Personally I would give her a thorough MOT and field rest her for 6 months brfore thinking of doing anything with her.
P.S If you wait until January to register a name for her, the Weatherbys fees are cheaper for 4 yo's.