Goddangit... has to move the beastie

Queenbee

Visit site
Well, after having been at the same yard for 7 years then moving to Cumbria I forgot how much of a pain it could be to livery! :(

My old yard was far from perfect, YO put her horses in my stable all the time, using my bedding and left it for me to muck out but the beast had daily turnout... despite being led to believe that that would be the case up here... turnout is not allowed when it rains (pretty much everyday now). Beast got colic for the first time in his life because of chop-changing.

I won't have him confined to a stable for months, neither will I have his routine be at the whim of the weather. He has a top of the range rug so he can go out and stretch his legs no matter how rancid it is. He loves his stable time and no doubt would rather be in there more than I put him in there but I won't have it become the only place he is... he will end up hating it.

So I am searching for alternatives now and for the first time in my life one of these considerations is Full Livery.

I think I have three options:

full livery, on rainy days walking in hand for grass and 1/2 hr - 1 hr turnout twice a day during mucking out. Indoor school, outdoor school (both floodlit) xc course, washroom, solarium... the works, 15 mins from the beach.

2. DIY with apparently supportive people who will bring in/turn out. I have not spoken to the YO but a livery says they are on 24/7 still, and go on 'in at night' at the end of the month, large school with jumps, geldings only on site (not that that matters), great facilities, hay available but bedding and feed to be bought in, right on the edge of mahoosive forestry

3. A private farm, stable and field... possibly another livery moving if so this could be perfect as we currently share duties. Similar area to option 2 so forestry rides, jumping fields and no interference, but equally no back-up.

Looking at all 3 this weekend. Sad to be leaving where I am but with no element of routine, I can't keep the beast there. :(

JFTDWS

Visit site
Well that's a bit of a pig. I wouldn't stay under those conditions either. I'd probably go for 2 or 3 depending on what they're like in person, as they have better turnout options, but it depends on location and how much you'd be able to manage if you didn't have any assistance (and if it's viable to get a freelance in with the cost difference between that and full livery).

Queenbee

Visit site
I have to say I am pretty torn between all 3 right now, number two is very tempting.

Basically, 1 is 340 a month and I enjoy doing the evening shift of mucking out, not sure how I would adapt to not doing that TBH. They have made the right sounds, they generally feed their own feed but would be fine with me providing my own and on bad days I don't think the beast would have any issues with 1 hr out as he will just sulk in the rain for the most part after the first 1/2hr but it's not how either of us have done things and it feels odd to consider. He could not move there until Jan though.

2 is pretty amazing on paper and £100 pcm, as I said, I still need to chat to the YO, but from what the livery says- I really like the sound of the set up. This livery was actually at the yard I am currently at before I moved - that is how I met her because she messaged me with a recommendation before I came here but has since left. If it is as good as it sounds, then I am hoping I can move him there.

3 Is a harder one, less facilities but it would mean that the person I currently share turnout and bring in duties with would be there too - the farm belongs to her grandma. She currently doesn't pay livery where we are as the yard belongs to a family member but she is not happy with the stipulations and restrictions being imposed by the YM so if I move to her grandmas, so will she move her daughter's horse. We get along well so could be a nice solution but without us... there is no back up... mum was actually suggesting that if we do this we should find a freelancer to share. x

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I'd go for number two.

I've done the full livery and whilst it was grand for the period I needed it, I couldn't have kept it up. Equally I do sometimes need support so assistance or having a freelance groom who can fit in ad hoc is vital, which reminds me that must be top of my list tomorrow!

Had to have the horses in full-time as the rains came and we flooded. To give the YO her due she and whoever they could (literally!) ship in took care of all the beasties, but no turn out wasn't good. It was no fault and the YO wasn't precious about the land, it was simply under water. They made a turn out pen that worked reasonably well.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Option 2 would be my first choice by the sounds. I wasn't fond of full livery at all in time I had to have it on a few yards, did not like the lack of control over turnout, feed & things not being done to my standard stressed me out. I'm now back on a fab DIY yard with a very supportive group of liveries, yes it extremely tough after 12hr shifts but has made it 100% more manageable having the option there for my boy to live out 24/7.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’m on a DIY yard with no services but I have two other liveries that I pay to cover the times I’m away. One does a bit of general freelancing anyway and the other is happy to do them for a couple of days.

In the past it was a little more difficult as a former livery used to think she should do all services but blew hot and cold so I was always on tenterhooks in case she decided I wasn’t in favour that day. Luckily she’s gone and I don’t have that issue now.

I love having control over all aspects of their care and although full/part livery was nice in many ways I always had to compromise on care which was stressful at times.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I didn't like full livery at all. I lasted less than 6 months, I hated not seeing them much and I hated the loss of control over their management. I wouldn't go back to it - I'd far rather have a DIY type yard and pay for services or get a freelancer in from outside to do the jobs I want doing.

I'm on a cheap DIY yard that has very good turnout. I pay double my livery in freelance services. Its worth it for me. I have control of how shes looked after, but equally I only have to go once a day, and if I ever cant make it for any reason I have emergency back up. While I love the idea of full livery, I just never found one that does what it says its supposed to. I also cant see a yard making enough to pay for staff to hand graze a yard of horses all winter!

Myloubylou

Visit site
Tbf it’s been the wettest autumn I can remember. Our horses were in all but 4 days last month. In lieu of turnout they were hand walked by the yard owner and I made sure they were exercised and hand grazed every day. Didn’t like it much but the fields were under water! Last year they were not kept in at all. So I’d caution that what has been done in the past is 100% going to be how it goes. I’d not go for 3, you get on now but doesn’t take much to fall out with someone - perceived not pulling weight etc.

Annagain

Visit site
2 sounds lovely. I'm on a geldings only yard and the boys are all very chilled. The only downside is if you want another in future and you want to stay there it limits your choice by half.

Queenbee

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies, update as of today.

I have discounted 1 for numerous reasons, the primary two being that the turnout isn't exactly what I want for the beast and I really enjoy and value my after-work decompress mucking out and just spending 'horsey time'

2 currently has no space but will do in June, I had a wonderful chat with the YO and everything I heard from the Livery was reiterated by her. Literally 2 mins and I would be in the forestry :) YO has said she will have me if I am still looking in June. They have 7 liveries - nearly all are very long-term liveries (over 5 years) which says a lot to me.

Current yard situation is as follows, after the other livery who's grandma owns the other farm, spoke with her cousin who owns the yard, he will talk with YM and another field is being opened up by him for 100% winter turn-out, fencing in that field is being fixed as we speak so I think for now we will remain for the winter with the hope that things settle but am very much staying in touch with yard no 2 with the hope that I june I can consider this option if needed.