Going abroad for 3 months- what to do with horse?

QueenDee_

Visit site
I have been lucky enough to be offered the chance to study abroad for the first term of uni next year (i.e Sept- Dec) however the dilemma now is what to do with my horse!

My plan is to have him on livery down at university with me for the 2nd term (January onwards). He is currently kept at home and cared for by my Mom however she only really hacks out once or twice a week, which is fine and would be enough to keep him ticking over while i'm away, however he is currently going really nicely and as he loses condition very easily over winter (he is a big Thoroughbred) I'd rather he was kept in a decent amount of work to keep the muscle and condition on him, which took me a while build up this spring.

Thus I was wondering what others would suggest? Although I have loaned ponies out in the past I am not keen to loan him as he is higher maintenance. Do you think I'd be able to find someone to come and school/ride him for me? I know that there is the option of paying people to school him, however do you think it would appeal to anyone to do it for free? He is a lovely, quality horse that has evented BE 100, and although we do not have an arena, I school in the back field and there are various ones that can be hired within hacking distance. Hacking is quiet and fairly good and I'd be happy for the person to have lessons/attend clinics on him, however I wouldn't be too keen on them competing him.

If such a person is possibly out there, do you know where I would find them?

Alternatively, what would you do with him if you were in the same situation?

SusieT

Visit site
No I think its unlikely as a short term option.
Either pay someone or just let him have some down time - which is probably th ebetter option

Horsey Sophie

Visit site
If it was me, I'd give him the 3 months off - cuts your costs and work involved.

If you don't want to loan out (and I understand why) I'm not sure how getting someone to ride is different. If you were paying your instructor to ride or keep fit, I could understand but you run a bigger risk trying to find a good, competent rider to ride in the worst weather for only 3 months as a one-off, unless you are planning on sharing when you get back?

If he's going well now, he'll go well again when you get back after a few months.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I doubt if anyone would come and school him for free if they can't then compete. Would you let someone do dressage and a bit of indoor jumping in the autumn, then you might be able to find someone willing to do it. I would let him stay at home and let your Mother ride him, especially if you are able to give him lots of work during the summer, he might then be pleased to do less in the auutmn. Otherwise I think you are going to have to pay - maybe a longrein session once a week and a schooling session once a week and let your Mother do the hacking twice a week, that should keep him fit.

be positive

Visit site
Loaning for 3 months is not really an option as you are unlikely to find anyone willing to do so for such a short period of time, I think the same probably applies to someone agreeing to commit to exercising him for you for free unless it is someone who has their own horse off injured and just needs to be riding for that time, if they are expected to pay to hire an arena that may be asking too much, it would depend to some extent on the area you are in, there may be someone riding at a local RS who wants to do more but they may not be up to riding him.
I think you would be best finding a local freelance rider who will do you a deal at a reduced rate if it can be very flexible to fit in with their other commitments, that way you know they will ride to a decent standard and keep him ticking over properly, it can be on your terms as I don't think it will be easy to find a good rider to keep him fit for you with nothing to be gained for them in the long term, if it was over the summer you may find it easier as at least the weather would be better and the days longer so it fits more easily with someone who works full time or is at college.

QueenDee_

Visit site
I think you would be best finding a local freelance rider who will do you a deal at a reduced rate if it can be very flexible to fit in with their other commitments, that way you know they will ride to a decent standard and keep him ticking over properly, it can be on your terms as I don't think it will be easy to find a good rider to keep him fit for you with nothing to be gained for them in the long term, if it was over the summer you may find it easier as at least the weather would be better and the days longer so it fits more easily with someone who works full time or is at college.

Thanks for the advice all! I had forgotten to factor in the fact that it was winter which definitely makes the opportunity less appealing. As such it makes more sense for him to have some down time (I won't tell him that yet though!)

wkiwi

Visit site
Agree with the others. Most people who would be willing to do it for free will not be good enough and you could end up with more problems than an unfit horse.
Could your mother also lunge him at times to help keep the muscle?
Have fun overseas.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I would send him away for three months, give two months off, remove shoes, feed and rug [I assume it is winter, out 24/7 or 12/7, but keep feeding, Then bring in and re start, he will be fit, fresh and ready to compete about 6 -8 weeks after the rest. So you have 2-3 weeks to tweak him ready for competition. If you try to keep him competition fit he will not be the same as if you had done the work [he may be better schooled if you use a pro dressage rider and a lot worse if a random rider].
Apart from being anti lunging by all but the best lunger and as part of the general work, lunging daily by mother will achieve nothing useful.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site
I agree with the others you are very unlikely to find any one to do this for free .
So it's either schooling livery which honestly I think is risky when your not around and expensive .
Or a three month rest (a good time for a shoeing break ) while your away .I would do the rest.

Ps I disagree with bonkers2 lunging three times a weeks would maintain muscles if your mum is good at it, running round in circles won't do it .

Last edited:

CBFan

Visit site
There are lots of worse things you can do with him than turn him away for a few months. He will come back into work well rested and fresh in mind as well as body, and if he is turned out (ideally 24/7) it won't take that long to get his muscle back. You may think 'he's a TB, he can't possibly live out!' But with plenty of hay and appropriate rugging, he will be just fine. You will then not have the worry of someone else not being able to handle him / ruining all the hard work you have put in / not dealing with any ailments / injuries appropriately... My boy will more than likely get a month or so off this winter due to daylight hours restricting our riding time, I hope he comes back into work after Christmas, just as well as he did this year :) ...

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
You could always put him on schooling livery for three months if you don't want to turn him away. It's still worth advertising for a short term rider - someone might be happy to tinker about on him if their horse is out of action - you've nothing to lose.

only_me

Visit site
I turned mine out for 3 months while I was away working abroad.

What you could do is turn him out for 2 months and then at the start of the 3rd month send him to full livery & get him brought back into work, so at least you aren't starting off at no fitness when you come back.

When I turned mine out though he kept his shoes on though, he is shod well all year so didn't feel need to take them off for 3 months, he was shod before I left and then shod once while I was away and was fine! :)

Jaffa

Visit site
If he's at home anyway and your mum rides him even once a week, that will be enough to keep him ticking over, it's only 12 weeks so shouldn't be bad at all.

ArabianGem78

Visit site
Another one who agrees with turning him away for 3 months. I've done that with my mare whilst in the final weeks of pregnancy/early motherhood. I've still been riding or longlining her out once or twice a week, and the lady I share a field with has the option to borrow her if she wants to. But for such a (hopefully!) short time-frame, I thought it unlikely I could find a loaner/sharer, and I couldn't really justify the expense of paying someone to ride her for me.

Equi

Visit site
For three months I would just be getting mum to do him. If hacking will make his brain blow then make sure she does more lunging or whatever. Maybe get an instructor to come out to her once a week.