Going away with the pony

Leo Walker

Visit site
Due to a last minute incredibly kind offer, I'm taking Bobbie away for the weekend. Its a training weekend for scurry and trials. Bobbie is never going to be a scurry pony. The good ones are incredibly fast and usually a bit hot, Bobbie is not! But its local and it will be a really good experience for our little team to go away together with no real pressure on us. Plus, I am very interested to see if she does have any more gears that I'm yet to find! We've taken things slowly so far and I've been happy with her steady attitude. I think theres a bit of oomph in there though!

This means that I have to work tomorrow, then between home time and Saturday morning get myself organised! What do I need to take? Obviously some of it is driving related, the carriage and harness etc but does anyone have a list of stuff that you take when you go away? I am sure I read a similar thread on here earlier on but for the life of me I cant find it now!

JFTDWS

Visit site
She's bound to have untapped gears - she's only young yet :D

I once took 2 ponies - to loan one for a friend who was riding at the same time as me - and only one girth. I'm not here to advise on what to take ;)

Leo Walker

Visit site
She's bound to have untapped gears - she's only young yet :D

I once took 2 ponies - to loan one for a friend who was riding at the same time as me - and only one girth. I'm not here to advise on what to take ;)

Oops! I foresee some sort of similar disaster. I'm scatty at the best of times. I'm only 10miles down the road though, so worst case, I'll have to drive back!

We did some obstacle practice earlier and its the first time I've ever asked her for a bit more. Shes such a willing pony she did it for me, but shes bemused by the whole thing. I think a buzzier atmosphere and a bigger open space will do her the world of good. I dont think scurry will be something we do a lot of though!

Next stupid question! She is being coralled next to the wagon. How many posts do I need to make one? I've got a massive reel of tape, but will need to go and buy some posts tomorrow.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I didn't realise till we were tacking up - fortunately someone else had a spare (not ideal when you need a ridiculously niche 20" girth!).

She looks sweet and willing - I'd be very surprised if she didn't have more to offer when she gets the hang of her job and knows that's what you want. I'm still finding new gears on Skye...

I work on 8-12 posts for a corral - depending on how big / how much space you can commandeer and how good the horse is at staying in!

JFTDWS

Visit site
That helps - I always end up with something resembling Stalag Luft if I take Dae away. Skye and Fergs I don't even bother electrifying!