Going from 2 to 3

atropa

Visit site
Just wanted to share really as I'm a bit excited, I'm adding a third mare to my little herd on Saturday morning :D

I really wasn't look for a third horse but unfortunately (or fortunately!) the right horse came along at the wrong time, and I will now be the proud new owner of a dun Highland pony.

She's very chubby and unfit at the moment, so will be doing lots of hacking work and wintering out in the hopes of getting her a bit fitter for the start of the new year. Eventually I hope to do a bit of everything with her compeititon wise, but she definitely has a big attitude that we need to work through first too.

For owners with more than one horse, how do you schedule their exercise through the week? Do you aim to exercise all your horses every day, or work them on some kind of rota?

Tarragon

Visit site
I love Highland Ponies so I am a little bit jealous, especially as it is dun :)
I have two ponies now but have had three before, and all in ridden work, and as I work full time I do not have the luxury of a lot of time.
Your best bet is to start riding and leading - it is just the most efficient way to exercise multiple ponies! Plus lots of fun. Last weekend I met up with a friend and took two ponies out and we were riding for 2 hours. I am happy cantering with two as well as popping over the odd log.
None of them get exercised everyday but it is normally split something like main pony gets ridden 4 to 5 times per week, and second pony goes out, either ridden or led, 3 to 4 times a week.

atropa

Visit site
I love Highland Ponies so I am a little bit jealous, especially as it is dun :)
I have two ponies now but have had three before, and all in ridden work, and as I work full time I do not have the luxury of a lot of time.
Your best bet is to start riding and leading - it is just the most efficient way to exercise multiple ponies! Plus lots of fun. Last weekend I met up with a friend and took two ponies out and we were riding for 2 hours. I am happy cantering with two as well as popping over the odd log.
None of them get exercised everyday but it is normally split something like main pony gets ridden 4 to 5 times per week, and second pony goes out, either ridden or led, 3 to 4 times a week.
Thank you, I had planned to try riding and leading as it will be good for her to get some weight off without having to carry me too. I've done it twice before with my big mares but will need to get more practice in now that I have three!

Polos Mum

Visit site
Riding both 7 days a week might be a stretch if you're not used to it. Each one having 4/5 days means you only have to do both on 2 ish days - then you could do a lunge or ride and lead if you're short of time.

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
No real advice but enjoy your Highland, they're ace! My boy has had summer off and is also a little podgy and unfit ;) I'm planning on loads of hacking BUT he is my only ridden so I have the time, ride and lead is definitely a good idea. Have fun

Antw23uk

Visit site
I dont even manage with two so I cant imagine having three in work! Do you have a day job as well as have horses? I tend to ride everyday but each horse on alternative days so they are each ridden every other day with the odd lunging session thrown in as well. Hacking weekends leading does help although rarely/ wont do it in week especially now the dark nights are drawing in and i have to hack on naff roads!

Im jealous of the highland but i think you are nuts getting a third going into winter, lol!

atropa

Visit site
Riding both 7 days a week might be a stretch if you're not used to it. Each one having 4/5 days means you only have to do both on 2 ish days - then you could do a lunge or ride and lead if you're short of time.
Thanks PM! I actually already have 2 ridden horses who are exercised on average 5 times a week...this will be my 3rd ridden horse! :eek: Ride and lead is looking like the way to go.

atropa

Visit site
No real advice but enjoy your Highland, they're ace! My boy has had summer off and is also a little podgy and unfit ;) I'm planning on loads of hacking BUT he is my only ridden so I have the time, ride and lead is definitely a good idea. Have fun

Thank you, I loooove Highlands and she is of the sporty, forward going but placid variety which is a huge bonus :D

atropa

Visit site
I dont even manage with two so I cant imagine having three in work! Do you have a day job as well as have horses? I tend to ride everyday but each horse on alternative days so they are each ridden every other day with the odd lunging session thrown in as well. Hacking weekends leading does help although rarely/ wont do it in week especially now the dark nights are drawing in and i have to hack on naff roads!

Im jealous of the highland but i think you are nuts getting a third going into winter, lol!

I am nuts full stop Ant lol! Yes I have a full time day job but my job, home and yard are all within about 4 miles radius. I also have a sharer for my ISH twice a week, and a friend and boyfriend who both ride out with me occasionally so I manage quite well to keep both big girls ticking over at the minute. I also have off road hacking in a country park right on my doorstep so I am able to hack on a solid path in the dark even in the depths of winter.

flying_high

Visit site
I have two and both work 6-7 days a week. I have sharers for both. So both tend to hack Mondays and Fridays with sharers.

I try and ride both the remaining 3 weekdays, and both weekend days.

The reality is a day off creeps in for one or both most weeks. But I don’t particularly plan for it.

I would have thought planning a routine that gets everyone exercised 4-5 times a week and works for daylight over winter be a good starting point.

I would have thought finding hacking riders be useful, so can do two hour winter hack with all 3 horses ridden in one go for fitness.

I cannot comprehend 3 in full work.

southerncomfort

Visit site
When I had 3 to work I put a whiteboard with days of the week printed on it up in the feed room so that I could write down who had been ridden and when. Sounds daft but it did really help me plan the week ahead. I never attempted to ride all 3 in a day, and they all had days off scheduled so that none of us got fed up with the workload! :D

atropa

Visit site
I have two and both work 6-7 days a week. I have sharers for both. So both tend to hack Mondays and Fridays with sharers.

I try and ride both the remaining 3 weekdays, and both weekend days.

The reality is a day off creeps in for one or both most weeks. But I don’t particularly plan for it.

I would have thought planning a routine that gets everyone exercised 4-5 times a week and works for daylight over winter be a good starting point.

I would have thought finding hacking riders be useful, so can do two hour winter hack with all 3 horses ridden in one go for fitness.

I cannot comprehend 3 in full work.

Thank you! I should have said, I'm not kidding myself that all 3 will be in 'full' work..as you've said, I will aim for 4-5 sessions of exercise a week (maybe 6 for new Highland to get the weight off a bit). I don't compete at any high level stuff, just the odd dressage comp, endurance ride, a bit of jumping etc maybe once or twice a month, so nobody needs to be overly fit, just healthy and happy :)

atropa

Visit site
When I had 3 to work I put a whiteboard with days of the week printed on it up in the feed room so that I could write down who had been ridden and when. Sounds daft but it did really help me plan the week ahead. I never attempted to ride all 3 in a day, and they all had days off scheduled so that none of us got fed up with the workload! :D

Not daft at all! I currently keep a spreadsheet of my two big girls and what they have done in a week, and somebody else suggested a whiteboard too to help plan the week :) Thank you

pippixox

Visit site
My friend and I also used to have a white board to keep track
I had 3 in work one summer: but two were babies so they were only doing tiny hacks and very short schooling sessions in a field. And I occasionally hacked my 4th- who is now retired.
I started to find it was a bit of a chore but did manage to work all three each day when it was school summer holidays!!! (I was a support assistant)
I now only have one ridden and two pets as one is retired and one is unwell. Just looking after them in the winter can take enough time

Ride and lead is brilliant. I used to canter happily on a common leading one. They are good friends and well behaved though

Hannahgb

Visit site
I have two now but used to have 3. Work full time, I just accept I will be riding in the dark, often do one either end of the day. Always got ridden 5-7 days each