Going from full to DIY and terrified!!!

M

madabout2

For a variety of reasons (some you will have seen) we are mving from full livery to DIY. OH is going to do a lot of the work ( and he does hold his stable management 2 and Horse Owner 1) but I am worried about stupid things...

like what if Tommi gets too hot or too cold - or too wet or the feed goes mouldy as we'll mix evening feed in the afternoon for YO to feed at night ...

SOooo paranoid that I have cahsed rideaway as to wher e my shavings fork is, even though YO has said I can borrow anything I need initially if I don't have it all!

any tips, hints, valium, alcohol!

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
Don't stress it'll be fine, had mine on diy for years and never had a problem, people tend to look out for each other. With feeds if you're worried about it going off, just leave a small bottle of water for them to mix in at feed time instead of soaking earlier but to be honest its not going to be hot enough from now for it to go off I wouldn't think.
Even if he gets a little hot or cold he won't die, thousands of horses cope each day!!! You'll be fine.

threeponies

Visit site
Relax!! I've only ever been on DIY and its fine. When my OH is working I have to mix feeds in the morning for feeding that night and they've never gone mouldy. Does the YO offer turnout etc. if so they may be willing to change rugs if he's wet, also there will be other liveries who in return for favours will check he's not cold or hot if you're not there. Well I assume this but as we all know people are weird!
You'll be fine, and so will your horsey.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
I've just moved onto DIY too... I've only ever had mine at home before!! It rains, and you can look out the window through the rain to see how they're reacting to it! Now I have to travel to a yard to check on her!

Also, it's bleeding hairy keeping her with other horses around... she's lived with our lot, but they were all cobs and they all lived together... there's so many that there's some she'll only see in the field... and I'm worried she'll fight with everyone too!!!

so if anyone DOES have the valium, pass it here too!!!

Doublethyme

Visit site
Relax, you'll be fine and I guarantee you will love that feeling of control over your horse's welfare once you get used to it and never want to change back (or maybe I am just a control freak!!!
grin.gif
)

If you have a YO who is willing to feed for you in the evenings, then sounds like you have one that is "around" and will more than likely be willing to help and give advice whilst you find your feet.

Good luck.

Safina

Visit site
I've just gone the otherway and moved my boy and my sisters lass onto full livery (moved house can no longer get to yard before and after work at a reasonable hour) and I am stuggling.

I hate not seeing them everyday or knowing exactly what is going on with them. I worry about them everynight in bed as I'm not 100% sure that the boy has the right rug on or the girl has enough nuts in her snack-a-ball. The yard owner is lovely and is being very soothing and understanding about how neurotic I am but I still feel silly. The fact that I have not seen my horse since Monday makes me want to cry.

So...apols for the slight digression! You'll be fine, I am sure you will really enjoy doing all the dirty work yourself and building a great bond with the horses.

Faithkat

Visit site
Too true. It's a lot of work but I don't see the point of owning a horse on full livery, you might as well just hire something to ride when you feel like it - much cheaper!!!! Seriously . . . I've never been in the position to even begin thinking about affording even part livery but I like to be in control of my horse's care and management. All the yards offering part/full livery that I've ever seen don't keep a horse the way I would - not enough bedding, feed, water, grazing etc . . but perhaps I'm just a control freak!!! To be honest, though, I like the rapport you get with your horse when you "do it yourself".

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I went from Full to DIY 2 years ago, as I couldn't justify the cost of full livery when I felt I could do a much better job myself!

I have certainly gained a few more wrinkles from being tired, but I think Finni has benefitted from the consistency.

The main thing I worried about was how I was ever going to be able to go away on holiday, but found that over time I made friends who were willing to look after him, or there was someone offering livery services.

You really will be fine - just keep organised!

M

madabout2

thought I'd give update.

Ok actual move was hairy!! See other post.

only one hiccup (so far) had frantic tel call from OH who miss read feed chart and put 1/3 scoop of supplement rather than 1/3 of measuring cup into feed. Didn't feed to horse though and we've put it to one side and will add a handful a day forthe next week!!

Still only on day 3 but loving it! DIY is great. Something very satisfying about picking poo out of a stable of stuffing scrathcy hay into hay nets. And I really enjoyed walking right across the field to get him after a franctic drive down the M1 - lovely sunset!!

I know wait forthe winter - but so far so good.

And owner came to visit last night (horse on loan BTW) and said she had never seen him looking so relaxed at previous yard.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
You are right - there is definitley something satisfying about looking after your own horse- H is on full livery as it's easier for me to do everything now we've got the business to concentrate on - but as soon as I'm physically able to do it myself - I'll be back on diy!
grin.gif

How's things going? I'm glad you've got something else
Kate x