going out 24/7 a quick question....

treacle_beastie

Visit site
I need to turf my horse out 24/7. She has been stables from 4pm til 8am all winter and has been wearing a medium lite for most of it, a medium on really gritty days. She has a thin coat but is a good doer. There's not much grass and I can't suppliment with hay but she will be getting her normal feed a day and won't be in work.
My question is, with the weather as crap as it is about 3 degrees in the day. Do you think I need to bring the heavy weight combo out which she hasn't seen for 3 years or will she be ok in a medium with a neck? It is exposed on top of a hill with a few hedges for shelter. I'm thinking she will need the heavy for a few days as she getsvover the shock of being out. Thoughts please.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
I would put heavy on as if can't give hay and no grass then she won't be able to use internal furnace to keep warm and especially as its a shock to her system.
I would be worried tho about turning out in this weather with no hay at risk of Colic

Jools2345

Visit site
she will need more grass than just enough to nibble on when its so cold in my opinion, so if you cant give hay i would not turn out 24/7.

trojanpony

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 from Jan after being in overnight before that. They adapted very quickly though both have heavy weights when weather is cold and an extra on top when it's like it is today. They have some gras but are getting through plenty of hay and I wouldn't dream of not haying them, they would be breaking out of the field within 48 hours I think.

Jericho

Visit site
I would put heavy weight on especially in this wind. Is there no way you can feed some hay as a belly full of fibre is like their central heating system and there is little value in the grass at the moment?

be positive

Visit site
I turned 2 out 2 weeks ago onto good grass that had not had a horse on for years, they are eating plenty of hay getting it adlib while it is still so cold, plus 2 good feeds each day, if there is not much grass the hay is essential to keep the guts moving especially when they have been in all winter.