Going out on you own in box/trailer

dannykins

Visit site
Following on from my last post about whether you have transport or not, would you/ do you take your horse out in your box/trailer on your own to where ever you want to go? If I get a box in the future it would probably be a 3.5 ton to begin with as I need to do the extra driving test and so wouldn't be able to take others with me.

Do you think it's safe to box to places on your own with your horse? i'm thinking mainly of boxing to nice, off road places to hack. I don't mind riding on my own, I'm thinking more of the safety issue of boxing the horse and hacking out alone away from the yard.

Would you do this or know any one who does?

Any opinions/experiences welcome please!

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Ive only ever known one girl who did this regularly on her own. Personally I wouldnt, but im a wuss and prefer company on rides away or competitions. Always handy to have help with you just in case.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I go to competitions on my own sometimes (dressage & showing) always take someone for jumping and for hacks, as I've broken myslef in past and been very grateful to mate who took Ponio and baggie-dog home - after getting lorry towed out of field
shocked.gif

RachelB

Visit site
I wouldn't box somewhere and hack on my own unless I had literally NO hacking at my yard (in fact I'd probably move yards first!). Too risky. I got back to the yard just before dark today after taking longer than I expected hacking, and my lovely YO came rushing over saying she was getting worried. It just made me think about the risks we take hacking alone, anywhere. So no, I definately wouldn't. Going to a show is a different matter though, as there are definately going to be people around when you get there!

_jetset_

Visit site
I take mine on my own... never taken Grace as the only time i have driven with her in the trailer was when i picked her up from Stafford, but I have no problems taking Hannah now she loads so well (thanks to Richard Maxwell). I will probably do the same with Grace too once I know she loads well... although I reloaded her when we got back from Stafford and she was brilliant. Walked straight up and stood looking out!

Bert&Maud

Visit site
I almost always transport my horse on my own, and regularly box him over from the yard to the area where I live to hack out on the downs. I probably wouldn't have done this so confidently a few years ago, but since the arrival of the mobile phone it doesn't worry me, so long as I've got a few options to "phone a friend" if I get into trouble!

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Go on my own. Take mobile and just let someone know where I'm parking and route I'm going to ride. Only thing I dread is coming back to the lorry to find some moron parked too close, so I can't get the ramp down, without moving the box. This has happened once, but luckily when I had a friend with me.

L

lilym

i box to places on my own, risky i know but i always take a fully charged mobile with me and mine are sensible travellers, the only thing that puts me off boxing out to hack alone is someone tampering with the vehicle/trailer while i'm riding, so i bribe my dad or OH to sit and read while i'm away! i think you have to analyze you own situation and you do have to be quite confident, but apart from that i don't see a huge problem.

clipclop

Visit site
Most journey's I have done with my horses over the years have been on my own. If I relied on other people to come with me I would never have gone anywhere. LOL.

I would only do this with a horse that I know is good to travel etc, etc.

Yes, it is still risky but if you avoid all risk you will never do anything.

If I box somewhere on my own I always phone my Hubby to let him know I have arrived and have met people. If I were going somewhere where I was going to be on my own? I would let Hubby know how long I think I was going to be and then phone him again.

So long as you are well organised and have someone awaiting your phone calls who knows where you are, you can't do much better than that.
grin.gif

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I am quite happy to take the lorry and horse out on my own and then go for a hack. I do have breakdown/recovery just in case. My saddle and bridle have my telephone numbers on them just in cas and I keep the telephone numbers of all my eqiine friends and vets on a piece of paper in my wallett just in case I need any help if my mobile runs out.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I trailer out on my own. Dont particularily like doing it just in case something happened (with horses, its always better if your not on your own!). But Im always going somewhere like a competition or lesson not more than an hours drive, and someone always knows where Im going, plus I always take a mobile just in case.

Like PeterNatt says, get brakedown cover - we have the horsey one for ours so if anything happened, then they'd come with a box and sort my horse out for me (stabling it if need be etc.) and my vehicle. Its nice to know you have it! And just always always take a mobile with you.

little_legs

Visit site
I tow on my own 99% of the time, to my lessons, Dressage, SJ and ODE.

If I didnt I wouldnt go anywhere! I always take my phone with me, and call a friend at the yard when i arrive or leave an event, so she knows im on my way home and that im ok.

Ive driven a max of 2 1/2 hours.

JAne & William

dieseldog

Visit site
I always drive by myself. OH used to come when he was keen but now he gets so bored its more stressful to take him. Most lorry insurance covers anyone over 25 to drive it in case you have an accident and need someone to drive you home.

terrierliz

Visit site
I go out on my own just to go somewhere different to hack, always tell OH where I'm going roughly how long I'm going to be and always carry mobile in case of any probs.