Going to be a horse owner again I think!!! Eeekk!!

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
After selling my horse 7 (yes 7!!) years ago, getting married and having our lovely daughter, I'm actually in the position to start thinking about having my own again!!! I've shared a couple of different horses but it's just not the same is it.

So I started saving a couple of months ago and then, sadly, lost my grandmother last month. I wish she were still here but she's been increasingly poorly for about 3 years and at least she's not suffering any more.

She's left me some money which means that I can start looking for a pony pretty much now. I knew I was getting it as about 4 years ago she told me, and told me it was to buy myself a horse again!!

Well Grandma I am!!! Just in the process of looking around for yards and putting feelers out with friends for a pony.

Very excited but mixed with sadness obviously.

Look out for horse / pony shopping posts soon!!!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
How lovely of your Grandma, a fantastic legacy with instruction :) I'm sure she would be so pleased that you are using it for the purpose she left it to you for. We shall need regular updates on the search and many pics of the eventual horse!

Mrs G

Visit site
Exciting times - I bet your Grandma would love that she is helping you get a horse of ur own again . Keep us updated x

atlantis

Thanks guys. Even my very non-horsey mum thinks it's the right thing to do. Just thinking about it and planning makes me feel more like me again!! I had a stressful day at work today and just the thought that soon I'd be able to have horsey hugs with my own horse made me forget about work (you know when you just lean into their neck and hug away, and even though they just keep on munching their hay they take all the stress away - I've missed that)!!

atlantis

How lovely of your Grandma, a fantastic legacy with instruction :) I'm sure she would be so pleased that you are using it for the purpose she left it to you for. We shall need regular updates on the search and many pics of the eventual horse!

Don't you worry HHO will be massively involved with this horsey!!! You guys have kept me same the last 7 years!!!

Equi

Visit site
Aw i'm so sorry about your grandmother. But i am very glad that you are able to now look for your new lifes obsession :D

What area are you in and what are you looking for?

Have you had a few lessons recently to get you back into the way of it?

atlantis

I've been sharing for the past year so slowly getting more back into it as it were

I'm in the midlands looking for a native pony, connemara I think. A nice 14.2 youngster real family pony type. I'm just starting to sort livery first and not got the money yet so j must remember not to get ahead if myself!!! OH is being surprisingly supportive too which is lovely!!!

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I've been sharing for the past year so slowly getting more back into it as it were

I'm in the midlands looking for a native pony, connemara I think. A nice 14.2 youngster real family pony type. I'm just starting to sort livery first and not got the money yet so j must remember not to get ahead if myself!!! OH is being surprisingly supportive too which is lovely!!!

I know of a 14.2 6yo Connie for sale, don't know horse personally but its through a local riding school/horse producer who has a few nice ones going through them. Pm me if you want sellers details.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Just to say what a lovely exciting forward looking and enthusiastic post - Im sad about grandma but what a lovely legacy to have. Will look forward to reports of the horsey hunt and final choice. Have loads of fun.

atlantis

Just to say what a lovely exciting forward looking and enthusiastic post - Im sad about grandma but what a lovely legacy to have. Will look forward to reports of the horsey hunt and final choice. Have loads of fun.

Thank you mid life crisis!!! I'm so excited I could burst!!! I'm obviously very sad too but my grandma had suffered enough. She was 87, deaf, blind, 5 1/2 stone and with dementia. She didn't want to check out though!!! Such a tough cookie and she didn't know know to not fight. It was horrible to see her fading away. I was very close to her after my parents split up (and behaved appallingly) and she was just always there. My family have never understood my horse obsession and grandma wasn't horsey either really (although she drove a milk float pony as a teenager - didn't know that until her funeral) but what she did with all of her children and grandchildren was encourage independence. Everyone else is spread around the country (and world) doing their own thing and I decided 5 years ago to move a few miles from her. To be near to her after my grandad died as she struggled on her own, but mainly for me really. I needed her. She's been in a nursing home for the last couple of years as she wasn't safe on her own due to her dementia and I've missed her since then really as I think in her eyes I was my mum, and my daughter was me as a child (she would ask me where I'd left my brother, which made chuckle). Once or twice she'd recognise me and I'd get told off for not visiting in a while, it was always my mum lol!!

Sorry for rambling on. Trying not to wake my husband as I write this sniffing away. Lost the point of the tread a little bit!!! I'm getting up if anyone wants a cuppa!!!

Lipza767

Visit site
Good luck on your hunt :) i bought my first ever horse i owned (had only loaned before) with some money left after my mother died when i was 20. I loved him to bits and used to think of her during long hacks to the beach as she'd have loved to have seen me ride on the beach on my big white chunky boy.

Clare85

Visit site
So sorry to read about your Grandmother op. But how lovely that she has enabled you to get back into horse ownership.

I sold my last horse about 10 years ago! Can't believe it's been so long! In the mean time I've got married, bought a house, renovated said house and had two children. My son is now 7 weeks old and next on my list is to get a horse again. Am hoping it will happen in the next year or two and I can't wait. I've shared too over the last few years but you're right, it's just not the same.

Good luck with your yard and horse search. Looking forward to updates :)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Just love this post. Your grandmother must have been a lovely, lovely woman. Have fun planning and looking for your next horse, it's a perfect use of your legacy if it gives you something special to enjoy and thank her for.
A Connemara sounds great.

atlantis

Thank you all. She (and my grandad) were such wonderful wonderful people. She was such a matriarch of our family and the centre to which we were all drawn.

I'm looking at livery yards this weekend. There's only a couple near me to choose from that have any spaces but once I've sorted that I can get started with the search.

Going to go through all of my old horsey stuff too and then I've got a trip to yhl to shop til I drop lol!!!

TrasaM

Visit site
I'm sorry you've lost your grand ma but it's a lovely legacy that you can now finally get Your Very OWN Horse :D insert happy excited sounds :)
Am also from a non horsey family and one of my dads last pieces of advice was to 'keep away from horses, they're dangerous' Huh! What type of Irishman was he! :D
Fingers crossed just the right horse comes trotting along soon.
Might ever get around to getting one myself at some point..maybe.