Going to see a horse next weekend - advice/tips needed

teapot

Visit site
Going to see a horse next weekend, with the aim of helping owner out once a week - exercising him and just general help around the yard.

So as I'm very new to this whole "going to see a horse thing" any little tips and snippets of advice?

Owner has been very upfront and honest about the horse which is nice - seems really nice and I personally think owners are half the battle. So do I treat it like if I was going to buy him so:

see him caught/tacked up etc? See him ridden first? Should I both flat & jump him?

And on the stable management side - what sort of stuff should I ask? any set things that need to be done? Latest or earliest time for bringing him in?

So yeah a dummies guide to what to ask would be great thanks

Parkranger

Visit site
I think if you're just meeting at the weekend find out basic things:

Does she want you to hack out or school or both?
What does she do with said horse herself?
Horses basic routine (if he/she has one!)

You also need to tell her what things you want to do - if you enjoy jumping she may not want horse jumped ..... good to get these things out in the open sooner rather than later!

teapot

Visit site
Good luck Pixie!

Have already chatted to owner about what I like doing, what she does with the horse plus a couple of other things regarding what he's like at feeding time

fjudge

Visit site
Just ask EVERYTHING you can think off! This may be your horse at the end of the day, so you want to know as much as possible about it! If the owner has nothing to hide she will tell you everything and anything, including some of the horses bad habits!! If the owner is funny about answering or seems to be hiding something, be careful. Also, ask if it can have a 5 star vetting (even if you dont have a 5 star). Dont make the owner feel pressured and over questioned, but if he/she is genuine and cares for their horse, they will want to know lots aout you and where the horse will be going anyway! xx

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
confused.gif
Might be being thick here, but why would you ask for a 5 star vetting on a horse you were just going to help with??
confused.gif

Helga1980

Visit site
I currently have a horse on a partial loan arrangement (owner rides once a week) and have been amazed at the number of things that have come up that I never thought to ask.

Apart from the obvious you need to confirm the arrangements in terms of:

* vets etc. (do you call her first or are you authorised to call the vet direct),
* double check yard rules,
* anything he/she is scared of (discovered the hard way that M hates tractors!!),
* do you need to watch out for any of the other horses in the 'herd' (we have one that will mug you every time you go in the field),
* do you have to consult her on every decision (I have a free rein to compete without asking),
* is the horse allowed treats etc.,
* can you alter their feeding if you increase their workload.

These are just some from my experience, the arrangement I currently have is working out really well - PM me if you'd like to ask anything else.

Claireg9

Visit site
sorry confused.... where has she put anywhere about a five star vetting? Or am i missing something.
Im poorly today so might just be me being a dim wit!
Cheers x

teapot

Visit site
I think Fjudge misread my post as she pointed out about vettings!

That's really helpful - thanks Helga.

Along lines of who calls vet, was thinking also about farrier etc too