Going to view a horse this weekend - nervous and excited

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Following my last attempt at horse shopping where I traveled 127 miles each way to see a very lovely filly with a very obvious and unadvertised sarcoid, I have now found another one to view.

This one is also a rising 3 yo filly. She’s a part-bred arab, currently standing at just below 15hh.

She seems to have a very lovely nature, and is good with traffic, dogs, children, rugging, farrier, travelling and has been out and about to the beach and on hacks in hand. She isn’t spooky and seems to be quite a confident, curious little thing.

Under 15hh is on the small side- I had wanted something to mature 15.2hh but had told myself that if it ended up at 15hh I’d live. I’d thought I wouldn’t buy something that wasn’t already at a height I could live with but I’m wavering on that.

And this one is £3k not £2k (sarcoid horse was £2k). She should do a bit of everything but she’ll really just be a nice hack. She seems well-brought up and she’s pretty, with nice enough conformation for a high % arab.

Oh and she’s also... 127 miles away! 😂

Any thoughts / advice?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I think I’m ok with the price as long as she does the job I want, is sound and is as described- no surprise tumours!

I’m not expecting her not to be green but I don’t want something feral.

In terms of price, it feels a little high for a nice hack/ basic all-rounder but attitude is worth more to me than aptitude at the moment. This would be a family horse for me to bring on for a while and then when / if 😭 I ever get a break from work, I can look for something to do a bit more and still have a lovely hack and something for my step-daughter to ride.

It is a bit of a trek! But hopefully I don’t have to do this too many times.

Size worries me but it is difficult to see in photos just how much horse there is, if that makes sense. I’ve ridden 14hh ponies that I’ve felt ok on and I felt heavy on my 15.3hh thb gelding. That’s why I feel I need to see her first.

alexomahony

Visit site
I guess all I can write here is 'you'll never know unless you go see her'. A wasted trip is better than regretting not going to see her so long as you can afford the diesel!

I'd just be aware that some peoples 'just under 15 hands' is different to others.

Good luck and keep us posted :)

SpringArising

Visit site
How do you know she isn't spooky?

You need to be OK with the price as she is now, not "If she does the job you want" - at two I'm assuming she isn't broken yet, so she's not a 'nice hack/allrounder' - she's isn't an anything yet.

My words aren't intended to be harsh, but I think you're bonkers travelling 130 miles and spending 3k on a horse when really all you want is a hack!

chaps89

Visit site
Where is she OP? I'm sure if there's someone local to her on here they'd pop in at at least verify she's sound, not feral and at the advertised height for you?

sport horse

Visit site
3k will be the cost of rearing the horse to 3 yo. 2k reflects the sarcoid and will represent a loss to the breeder/rearer. A lot of sarcoids on horses as young as 3yo do drop off and dissapear never to be seen again - but not always!

ihatework

Visit site
Impossible to say without seeing the horse in person.

You might have to kiss a few frogs, just the way it is with horse buying.

I’d be confirming if they have put a stick on the horse before travelling, sometimes 14hh can be rounded up to just under 15hh!

And if a sarcoid bothers you then get that confirmed before you travel too.

The thing is, buying unbroken is always a gamble. So have a back up plan - if the horse turns out not right for you what is it’s most likely market and will it be reasonably easy to sell into that market?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Another one who thinks you are bonkers! That is a big price tag for an unfashionably bred, too small horse. Before you go get a photo or video of them measuring her for you with a stick. I'd be inclined to think that nearly 15 hands is actually just over 14 hands. People always seem to think their horses are much bigger than they are. People are adamant that mine is nearly 15 hands. shes 14.1hh!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Where is she OP? I'm sure if there's someone local to her on here they'd pop in at at least verify she's sound, not feral and at the advertised height for you?

This sounds a good idea even if they just do a drive by to check she's not 12.2!

Having just spent more money on one pony than my other 5 put together and doubled (yes really but the first 5 were very cheap!) who I bought as she's exceptionally unflappable although very green ridden I would agree that spending the money on a horse with the right temperament is a very sensible thing to do, even for 'just' a happy hacker. If what seller says is all true she should be a doddle to back when the time comes :)

conniegirl

Visit site
OP I think you are mad, if you want a happy hacking 15.2hh partbred arab then you can have one broken and ridden away for less than £3k.
I don't understand why you want a baby who may or may not be a nice ride after its been broken

If what seller says is all true she should be a doddle to back when the time comes :)

or it could be an absolute nightmare, I had one who was amazing inhand, loveliest pony you've ever met, you could do anything with him and he was totaly unflappable. However he was a nightmare to back, took 4 different proffessionals (2 of whom told me to have him shot as he was so dangerous) and nigh on 3 years to get him under saddle properly, even then he was very unpredictable to ride and would bolt blind if upset by something.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Another one who thinks you are bonkers! That is a big price tag for an unfashionably bred, too small horse. Before you go get a photo or video of them measuring her for you with a stick. I'd be inclined to think that nearly 15 hands is actually just over 14 hands. People always seem to think their horses are much bigger than they are. People are adamant that mine is nearly 15 hands. shes 14.1hh!

This is why I always arm myself with a measuring stick whenever either buying (or selling) horses.

ihatework

Visit site

Why is it too big a price tag?
How can you tell having never seen a photo of it or video moving.

For all you know it could be a potential HOYS SHP etc, in which case it would be well worth 3K

Now - for an unbroken happy hack who the op would ideally like as 15.2hh it wouldn’t strike me as the most likely candidate on paper, but given I don’t know the OP, maybe they like a particular type and this is what they have found that’s available?

If I were ever to want a happy hack, I’d be wanting to do it on a good looking quality animal and would not blink at expecting to pay 3K for something that hasn’t been ruined!

Goldenstar

Visit site

Because it’s said to be two inches smaller than the smallest horse OP wanted IME people over exaggerate the size of smaller horses as it opens them up to a bigger market so it may be even smaller .
The horse is a long drive away and if it where me I would not drive that to see a too small horse unless there was the potential for a complete bargain .
Buying a two small horse is something you can’t ever get away from from I did it once never again .

SpringArising

Visit site
If I were ever to want a happy hack, I’d be wanting to do it on a good looking quality animal and would not blink at expecting to pay 3K for something that hasn’t been ruined!

I think the point is that it might turn out to be a complete dud under saddle. On the other hand, 3k for a genuine, proven hacking horse is a very reasonable price :)

ihatework

Visit site
I think the point is that it might turn out to be a complete dud under saddle. On the other hand, 3k for a genuine, proven hacking horse is a very reasonable price :)

Of course it might, that is always the risk of buying unbroken surely?
But it doesn’t take away the point that how can anyone say it is or isn’t worth 3K when no one has even seen the animal 😂

Annagain

Visit site
I know you want to help but can't you let LG enjoy her excitement without putting a dampener on it all? OP sounds like she's going into this with her eyes open and ready for this not to be 'the one'. 15.2 might be ideal but 15hh is ok and she has explained she needs to see her for herself to know. She is obviously happy with the price and the distance (having already travelled that far once) and obviously wants a youngster, this being the 2nd one she's looked at, so there's not really any point saying 'you could get a proven one for that'. If the mare is worth it (and there could be all sorts of factors - breeding, temperament, training to date, that mean she is) and is what the OP wants, our opinions on what she could get for the money are a bit irrelevant.

LG I hope it goes well. You sound like you've already considered most of the things people are warning you about. You sound quite prepared and sensible about the whole thing.

SpringArising

Visit site
Of course it might, that is always the risk of buying unbroken surely?
But it doesn’t take away the point that how can anyone say it is or isn’t worth 3K when no one has even seen the animal 😂

I read those comments as, it's a lot of money for an unproven horse with no special breeding. I personally think 3k is an extremely elevated price for a 2 year old Heinz.

Ceifer

Visit site
I would second the concerns about making sure she’s 15hh. Having gone myself to see a 15.2 and it was 14.1....

Re the price. If she’s got decent conformation and they’ve done decent groundwork then 3k isn’t a bad price.

Re the mileage. 254 miles at say 45p a mile (fuel and general car wear) is £115 (rounded up). Could be a waste could be the horse of a lifetime

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would second the concerns about making sure she’s 15hh. Having gone myself to see a 15.2 and it was 14.1....

Re the price. If she’s got decent conformation and they’ve done decent groundwork then 3k isn’t a bad price.

Re the mileage. 254 miles at say 45p a mile (fuel and general car wear) is £115 (rounded up). Could be a waste could be the horse of a lifetime

This is the dilemma but you can’t get away from horse being smaller than you like .
I think OP is after a horse for herself not a turnover horse on turnover horses you can go off piste but if you own one horse it has be right and size is very important you can say I don’t want a mare and end up with a mare , I don’t want mare or a grey and end up with a grey mare ( done that one ) but the wrong size, no don’t compromise on size .

ihatework

Visit site
This is the dilemma but you can’t get away from horse being smaller than you like .
I think OP is after a horse for herself not a turnover horse on turnover horses you can go off piste but if you own one horse it has be right and size is very important you can say I don’t want a mare and end up with a mare , I don’t want mare or a grey and end up with a grey mare ( done that one ) but the wrong size, no don’t compromise on size .

For sure, but they want 15.2 and are going to view a rising 3yo standing allegedly just short of 15hh.

Now, crap measuring aside, it would not seem unreasonable to at least view?

Reactions: JJS

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s a choice I would not drive a fair way to see a too small horse .
I think when I am buying the world is full of horses I have to be true to my base criteria and size is one of those .
There always compromises but in my view size can’t be one of them .
It’s one of those things if you need a three year old to grow taller it won’t if you don’t need it to get taller it will .